Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Review of the Hummer H2 SUT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:16 AM

Review of the Hummer H2 SUT

http://gm-trucks.com/home/content/view/171/26/

Have fun guys...

-Zane
Old 03-08-2005, 10:27 AM

Re: Review of the Hummer H2 SUT

Somebody was recently lambasted for posting a link to another site he's affiliated with. I'll chalk this up to not remembering what was said by the accuser?

At any rate, the H2 SUT is a fine truck, although the HUMMER H3T (which I had the pleasure of driving) would be a better suited pick-up truck in HUMMER's line-up. The SUT really has no purpose other than being a "new" model in HUMMER's stable. The pick-up is far too short to accompany any real hauling, regardless of the mid-gate function.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:31 AM

The versitility of GM's midgate on the H2 SUT, Avalanche, and Escalade EXT have me strongly considering one of these vehicles...

IMHO, I would go for a Avalanche or and EXT over the H2 SUT...

There are several reasons. One is price... even the Caddy is a touch cheaper.

The second is the utility itself, which is the main reason I'd consider a midgate vehicle... the Hummer just doesn't have the bed space that the EXT or Avalanche have.

I also think the Hummer is a bit more "cartoonish" looking that the other two... but styling is subjective.

One advantage I'd give to the Hummer, though, is the interior... I haven't sat in one, so I can't speak for materials, but it looks much better than the other two, especially the Avalanche (EXT makes up some ground by breaking up the tupperware look, but the layout is the same as Avalacnhe).

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Escalade EXT because of the better interior, better engine, and more available luxury equipment compared to the Avalanche, and slightly cheaper price, and more classy looks, and bigger bed, vs the H2 SUT.

I am probably 12 months away from shopping for this, though, and the GMT-900 series EXT and Avalanche could be out by then, and that could change things.

Thanks for the review! It should shed some light on a lot of things for me.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
The versitility of GM's midgate on the H2 SUT, Avalanche, and Escalade EXT have me strongly considering one of these vehicles...

IMHO, I would go for a Avalanche or and EXT over the H2 SUT...

There are several reasons. One is price... even the Caddy is a touch cheaper.

The second is the utility itself, which is the main reason I'd consider a midgate vehicle... the Hummer just doesn't have the bed space that the EXT or Avalanche have.

I also think the Hummer is a bit more "cartoonish" looking that the other two... but styling is subjective.

One advantage I'd give to the Hummer, though, is the interior... I haven't sat in one, so I can't speak for materials, but it looks much better than the other two, especially the Avalanche (EXT makes up some ground by breaking up the tupperware look, but the layout is the same as Avalacnhe).

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Escalade EXT because of the better interior, better engine, and more available luxury equipment compared to the Avalanche, and slightly cheaper price, and more classy looks, and bigger bed, vs the H2 SUT.

I am probably 12 months away from shopping for this, though, and the GMT-900 series EXT and Avalanche could be out by then, and that could change things.

Thanks for the review! It should shed some light on a lot of things for me.
Thanks! I'd also agree with your observations!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:42 AM

I'd get the SUT over the SUV H2. It would be more practicle for me.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I'd get the SUT over the SUV H2. It would be more practicle for me.
Yes, if I were shopping between the H2 SUV and the H2 SUT, I'd go with the SUT as well.

I'd also agree with the writer of the article in that I think the SUT looks better as well.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:13 AM

the H2 SUT's bed still looks a bit too short... THere's people out there that think the Avalanche's bed looks a little too short..

One thing to keep in mind with the Avalanches (and I'd assume Cadd's vers and probably the H2 SUT) is the edge of the bed has these rubber/plastic "gutters" to catch any water that makes it past the panels. They are relatively flexable, but if you do alot of rough loading in the bed, you have to watch out for that..

For example, loading gravel in the bed.. I haven't done that yet in mine, obviously you want to watch out for those gutters when they drop gravel in there.. also, you have to spend some time and clean out the extra water channels. Though putting tarp and a sheet of plywood on the bottom would eliminate most of that trouble.

also, the sides of the bed are higher/deeper than a trucks in the Av. its alot harder to swing something over the side and out..

That all said, I still like my Avalanche.. I'll admit, its mostly used for Soccor mom duty. (in fact I usually try to get my wife to drive me around in it if we don't take the Camaro, so i can just chill and relax as a passanger) Occasionally use it to haul some odd stuff in the back as a pickup.. and I plan to use it to tow future toys behind it. (a kart, and maybe my Camaro once in a while)

I got a base 4x4 model, without body hardware. Once warrenty is out, and I get it paid off, I can't wait to mod it in and out. but for now, I'll enjoy the quiet worry free 100% stock period..

You know what would be cool that I just thought? If they could design the side of the beds to be able to be fold down to aid in loading/unloading the bed.. and be able to act like a flatbed..

Last edited by Ken S; 03-08-2005 at 11:18 AM.