Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Release date on the Magnum SRT-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:27 AM

Release date on the Magnum SRT-8

Anybody know when well see these things in show rooms?
Old 07-06-2003, 02:05 PM

Chrysler basically created their own model year when they had a much shortened 2003 production year, and created a whole new 2004 model year across the board this past winter. The 2004 model year is supposed to end for the LH cars this fall or winter, if I'm not mistaken, then it's factory will go through a major rennovation in preparation to make the new LX lineup sometime next spring.

My understanding is the 300 sedan will be 1st, followed by the Magnum a few months later, and finally the Dodge sedan that's scheduled to debut at this winter's auto show should be out next fall.

IF Dodge is going to debut a RWD coupe before 2007, it should also be at this years show. They are most certainly working on one. If or when it hits the streets is another question.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Does anyone know the pricing for these cars?
Old 07-06-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by mastrdrver
Does anyone know the pricing for these cars?
guionM keeps reiterating that if you're looking for the RWD V8 coupe from Dodge to be cheap (as in 2002 Z28 cheap), fugettaboutit.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
guionM keeps reiterating that if you're looking for the RWD V8 coupe from Dodge to be cheap (as in 2002 Z28 cheap), fugettaboutit.
...which is really dumb. Basically theyre giving us the choice to spend 30k+ on what basically is a station wagon with a V8 or spend in the high 20k's for an SUV or Truck with much more room. Hmmm... Why cant we sell cars again?
Old 07-07-2003, 09:39 AM
Disciple

Originally posted by USHotRod
...which is really dumb. Basically theyre giving us the choice to spend 30k+ on what basically is a station wagon with a V8 or spend in the high 20k's for an SUV or Truck with much more room. Hmmm... Why cant we sell cars again?
I think you just answered what I was wondering.

If the Bel Air concept and the SSRare built on Trailblazer/Colorado chassis it should be relatively easy for GM to build a full frame wagon on that chassis. That would give us a vehicle with some of the utility of the SUV's (#1 priority towing) with improved aerodynamics, weight, handling and fuel economy.

What is it again that allows the PT Cruiser to be classified as a truck?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by USHotRod
The coupe's possible relatively high price I can perfectly understand. Dodge simply doesn't have the potential volume to justify making a RWD performance coupe the way GM and Ford does. To earn back it's investment it's going to be a bit higher than where the Mustang and last F-bodies were. Not crazy priced, but higher according to how it was explained to me.

On top of all this, Daimler Chrysler is taking most all Chrysler slightly upstream. The new 300 will likely be priced up there with Cadillac and Lincoln in the $40,000 range. But it's also going to be packing WAY more power than anything short of the $50,000+ CTSv. That's what the theme is going to be across the entire LX line. Sure the Magnum wagon will be in the $30Ks. But it will also be carrying about 350 horsepower, and a god awful lot of torque as well. When the LX Dodge sedan comes out, it will cost a bit more than the old Intrepid did. But again, in Dodge's case, you'll also have (at the very least in the SRT-8) what is most likely going to be one of the quickest sedans on the planet, let alone the likelyhood of being the quickest sedan under $40K.

Though the LX cars are going to be moving up a notch or 2 in price, Chrysler is planning to make them really worthwhile, at least where the LX is concerned. DCX isn't going to make it easy for GM's RWD cars performance-wise.

BTW, as far as the LX coupe is concerned, if or when produced the goal is to make it the quickest thing ever to roll of a Chrysler production line. a tall order, but if done might just be worth the 10% premium over a Cobra.... hypothetically of course.

Last edited by guionM; 07-07-2003 at 10:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by guionM
The coupe's possible relatively high price I can perfectly understand. Dodge simply doesn't have the potential volume to justify making a RWD performance coupe the way GM and Ford does. To earn back it's investment it's going to be a bit higher than where the Mustang and last F-bodies were. Not crazy priced, but higher according to how it was explained to me.

On top of all this, Daimler Chrysler is taking most all Chrysler slightly upstream. The new 300 will likely be priced up there with Cadillac and Lincoln in the $40,000 range. But it's also going to be packing WAY more power than anything short of the $50,000+ CTSv. That's what the theme is going to be across the entire LX line. Sure the Magnum wagon will be in the $30Ks. But it will also be carrying about 350 horsepower, and a god awful lot of torque as well. When the LX Dodge sedan comes out, it will cost a bit more than the old Intrepid did. But again, in Dodge's case, you'll also have (at the very least in the SRT-8) what is most likely going to be one of the quickest sedans on the planet, let alone the likelyhood of being the quickest sedan under $40K.

Though the LX cars are going to be moving up a notch or 2 in price, Chrysler is planning to make them really worthwhile, at least where the LX is concerned. DCX isn't going to make it easy for GM's RWD cars performance-wise.

BTW, as far as the LX coupe is concerned, if or when produced the goal is to make it the quickest thing ever to roll of a Chrysler production line. a tall order, but if done might just be worth the 10% premium over a Cobra.... hypothetically of course.
Im not so much referring to Chryslers lineup as I am Dodges. I think the Magnum should be in the high 20k's and the new coupe should be in the GTO price range. The Chrysler cars, as you say, should be priced where theyre planning to put them.