Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

public hasnt seen a 04 Stang in the flesh why not a hidden Camaro proto??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 12:06 AM

Talking public hasnt seen a 04 Stang in the flesh why not a hidden Camaro proto??

Does anyone have spy pics of a new 04 stang?? that thing is impossible to find..yet its out very soon..considering that we say many many versions of other stangs WAY before they were released..
I think if anything GM will have a concept out the same time the Stang is debuted..kinda like hey heres some water for your fire..Im thinking a race version of a Z28 concept kinda like the Viper GTSR concept from a year back
nothing thats saying its comming back but just guaging intrest..maybee it sits on a Monaro platform for the prototype..and fleshed out?? who knows..
Old 11-22-2002, 12:38 AM

I see what your saying but, the big difference is that Ford has announced that the new Mustang is coming...and within 18 months.

People have actually seen it and described what they saw. We have juicy tidbits on it's drivetrain a chassis.........AND...a clay mock up of it's interior has circulated the internet.

GM may have an egineering mule or two that maybe someday might be a Camaro and there have been rumors of a '69 Camaroesque styling concept....but right now, it must be much sweeter to be a Mustang fan than a Camaro fan.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:43 AM

if the new mustang looks anything like the picture in road and track than i think its ugly
it would be nice to see a camaro out around the same time
Old 11-22-2002, 02:03 AM

Wouldnt it be cool if we go through exactly what happened 40 years ago? Remember when the Mustang came out in 1964 and GM had to produce something to match it, so they came out w/ the Camaro three years later, and everyone went nuts over it....Maybe we'll get to relive that moment
Old 11-22-2002, 04:19 AM

I really hope so, but the Camaro came out 2 years after the M*****g, just as a 67 model. Maybe 06 as an 07 model like before??
Old 11-22-2002, 04:51 AM

Maybe GM is better at keeping secrets than Ford.
Man I hope that's what's going on!
I'm keeping what little faith I still have left!
Old 11-22-2002, 11:02 AM

I say, build the next camaro as an exact replica as the 1st gen, just with moden material and modern quality controls. 3000 pounds. Offer a V6, 327, 350, and 396. Is that too much to ask?!
Old 11-22-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by 2000redSS
I say, build the next camaro as an exact replica as the 1st gen, just with moden material and modern quality controls. 3000 pounds. Offer a V6, 327, 350, and 396. Is that too much to ask?!
Now that's an original idea!

Old 11-22-2002, 11:50 AM

Yes it is. All those motor choices? The cars building cost will be more than the profit ganied from selling them. Consumers will be confused out of their minds. You only need 2 motors max; in this case a V8 and V6. Keep things simple people, otherwise people get confused. Just look at teh firebird. I bet most of the board members couldnt tell you the differences between the different models that were available and who did what package.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:58 PM

.......or, how about a new Camaro
Old 11-22-2002, 05:49 PM

Well the problem with concepts is that right now GM seems to think that there is no market for the f-bod replacement, that coupled with the fact that it kinda seems weird they would show concepts of a car they killed off with the reason being no sales.. do you see what i am getting at. It is very political because the UAW would probably grab GM and slap them with a big lawsuit and think about it how much money would GM loose. No doubt there are prototypes running around but i doubt the camaro name will be attached to any of them. I firmly believe that GM is in a changing stage and that good things will be out for the loyal fans, perhaps hidden RPO codes like in the 60's on a RWD car with another name -? chevelle? Nova? NOMAD? it doesn't matter, GM will probably first start slow and gauge the market. Once people realize that it's expensive to fill up their SUV's things will go back to normal and the healthy V-8 in the camaro will be a reailty.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Just look at teh firebird. I bet most of the board members couldnt tell you the differences between the different models that were available and who did what package.
True dat. There was a thread someone in a regional section, and a member thought that there was a factory V6 4th gen TRANS AM!!
Old 11-22-2002, 06:32 PM

is one of these it?

http://www.fallscitymustangclub.com/...04Mustang1.jpg

http://www.fallscitymustangclub.com/...04Mustang2.jpg

http://www.shreve.net/rrcmc/images/Future.jpg
Old 11-22-2002, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Wouldnt it be cool if we go through exactly what happened 40 years ago? Remember when the Mustang came out in 1964 and GM had to produce something to match it, so they came out w/ the Camaro three years later, and everyone went nuts over it....Maybe we'll get to relive that moment

Unfortunately, history is never very neat, and is usually very accidential. Chevrolet came out with the Corvair Monza Spyder in 1963, and Mustang was actually Ford's answer to that car!

Ford wasn't going to spend the money on a rear engine, or 4 wheel independent suspension, or the other sporty advances Corvair had, so they took the cheap approach and simply designed a new body on the Falcon. You know the rest of the story.

Chevrolet knew Mustang was comming, and they felt that a redesigned Corvair (due in 1965) would be more than enough to compete with the Ford. Because of Mustang's immediate sales success in April 1964, and the record sales pace afterwards, the '65 Monza Corvair was not even in the shorooms when GM had already decided that it had to compete with Mustang on it's own terms, so it terminated any further developement on Corvair......permanently...... and focused all attention on a crash Camaro program (Nader later became a convienent scapegoat for killing the Corvair).

Just to show you how "crash" the program was, it yanked the upcomming Nova chassis under development and introduced it underneath the Camaro before Nova even came out!

As far as the question about Mustang prototypes not being seen, and maybe Camaro is the same way, that's not the case here. Vendors & contractors have been working on Mustang for some time & it's been seen by focus groups, owners of large dealerships, large investors, many large stockholders, regional Ford people, as well as people directly related to the project. They spread the word without a single prototype being spotted by the rest of us. You also probally won't see a prototype till the last year or so before production (probally why a version will be shown at Detroit in January).

Yet, across the board, no one has seen Camaro, and those who should know say bluntly that there is no Camaro in the works right now. There may be one designed, and there may be some type of engineering mule somewhere. But as far as a prototype, or the hardware being advanced enough to be in a position to develop one before 2007, it just simply doesn't exist.

BTW: Again, remembering that history tends to not be what some believe it to be, the public did NOT "go nuts over the Camaro when it came out. Every magazine article on it came out & said it was "GM's Mustang" or "GM comming late to Mustang's party" or worse. The public also looked at it as a "me-too" effort by GM to jump in Mustang's market. Chevrolet wanted desparately to redesign Camaro in 1969 just 2 years in (remember, this was a rush job, and Chevy had better ideas afterwards), but they had to wait till 1970 1/2. The 1969 Camaro was a compromise to answer the "blandness" the '67 & '68 had according to the press.

There wasn't a great initial ground swell for Camaro, though it did sell well. It actually took a couple of years for Camaro to really catch on.

Last edited by guionM; 11-22-2002 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Keep things simple people, otherwise people get confused. Just look at teh firebird. I bet most of the board members couldnt tell you the differences between the different models that were available and who did what package.
This seems ironic because one of the biggest selling points of the original cars was having all of the options; you could have a car unique to your particular tastes. If you're referring to the 4th gen Firebirds, I don't believe there were ever that many options so as to overwhelm the customer. If someone thinks a Trans Am has a V6, that's their uniformed fault.

Firebird (v6)
Firebird GT (v6 + appearance, wheels, exhaust)
Firebird Formula (v8)
Firebird Formula WS6 (v8 + ram air, wheels, suspn)
Firebird Trans Am (v8 + std leather, t-tops, wing)
Firebird Trans Am WS6 (TA + ram air, wheels, suspn)
SLP Formula Firehawk (v8 + slp ram air, wheels, suspn)
SLP Trans Am Firehawk (TA + slp ram air, wheels, suspn, key fobs )

That's not that many different trim levels over a 10 yr period (half weren't even offered continually through the generation). Maybe it's me, I like choices. Only thing you could ask for is more substance and separation between variations.

Last edited by jrp4uc; 11-22-2002 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: public hasnt seen a 04 Stang in the flesh why not a hidden Camaro proto??