Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Possible Middle Engine C7?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 AM

Possible Middle Engine C7?!?!

OMG, I'm gonna nut myself!!........Seriously!........ Can we say SUPERCAR?!?!?!

http://blogs.automotive.com/6212477/...dle/index.html
Old 08-29-2008, 07:24 AM

Every time the Corvette goes to a new generation, there's talk of it becoming mid-engined. There's a small but very vocal minority at GM who want a mid-engined Corvette. I don't think we'll see the C7 change from the current setup.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Every time the Corvette goes to a new generation, there's talk of it becoming mid-engined. There's a small but very vocal minority at GM who want a mid-engined Corvette. I don't think we'll see the C7 change from the current setup.
I agree 100%.

At this point, knowing the C7 is shelved for an indefinite period of time, and also knowing the financial shape GM is in, can we just be happy if there is a decent C7 AT ALL?

The economics simply aren't there to have GM invest a boocoo of money into redoing an entire platform to make it mid-engined. And, as we have discussed in another thread about the Viper, it is becoming very difficult for car companies to have "supercars" that don't have any volume, making it even more risky for GM to throw money into such a bucket IMO.

Refine and improve C6 - I think we will all be happy to see it.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
OMG, I'm gonna nut myself!!........Seriously!........ Can we say SUPERCAR?!?!?!

http://blogs.automotive.com/6212477/...dle/index.html
Would you not already consider the 620 HP, 200+ MPH ZR1 to be a supercar?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:39 AM

i think he has a hard on for Middle Engine cars... which are not really better per say... just different. I believe the Corvette needs to maintain its original formula and improve upon it. GM has found the right way of doing it... keep at it.

If you want a Middle Engine car... give it to Cadillac as it Super car... but i don't think we will see any OTHER super cars from GM... for a while.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Yup, they always speculate about it becoming mid engined.

I think it would be pretty cool if it did (just for something different ). I don't think I'll happen though. 2011 Sounds a little optimistic. The Volt is coming out in 2010, as is the Cruze. You see a good bit of info on those already. I haven't seen a single thing about the C7. Granted, a 6 year life cycle would make sense for the C6, considering it wasn't a radical change from the C5.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:34 AM

I was told it would never happen by all the internet e-carmakers on here so umm yeah it's unpossible it will happen.

On the other hand someday the only way to get traction if the absurd amount of HP the vette keeps making is going to be to put the engine weight more over the rear wheels.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Do you guys know how much drivetrain development would have to go into this?!?! Tranny design, mounting, linkage, NVH control and dampening? Now let's talk driveshafts, U-joints, flex, expansion, allowance for suspension movement, etc.

And ALL OF THAT would produce a few thousand parts/year for one vehicle only. (What else will they share hi-performance mid-ship parts with?) And for what... a few more tenths off at Nurburgring?!?! What will it bring to the average buyer that the C6 platform doesn't already via Z06 or ZR1? Oh yeah... an even more forward-sitting cockpit with a big sound generator behind your back... a MUCH larger price tag... and maybe a few tenths off at a local track too.

IF - and I say if - GM were to hit a few consecutive lottos and decide to spend millions on a mid-engined supercar, I'd rather they did so and name it something else - leaving the Corvette to shine as it does now. It's moderately accessible to any middle class home, and offers upscale versions for those more affluent. I think Corvette is doing a GREAT job as it is.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:19 PM

That story is over a year old. The mid-engined Corvette is dead and has been for awhile. Not on hold - DEAD.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
On the other hand someday the only way to get traction if the absurd amount of HP the vette keeps making is going to be to put the engine weight more over the rear wheels.
In this day and age, I would think (hope?) the C7's strategy would be to get lighter with a less powerful, more fuel efficient V8 that will still outperform any base C6. Eventually, the days of obscene horsepower have got to be ending.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
In this day and age, I would think (hope?) the C7's strategy would be to get lighter with a less powerful, more fuel efficient V8 that will still outperform any base C6. Eventually, the days of obscene horsepower have got to be ending.
Once the Volt and small car stuff is squared away, that's exactly where I see the C7 going.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:27 PM

why would gm switch to a mid engine platform? they have the traditional front engine and transaxle platform mastered correct???

i dont think that they would invest in a mid engine platform. proudpony is right the cost would be huge. why change something when it is the absolute best competitively.

gm should invest in a respectable quality interior like the cts, a diet, aerodynamics and a fuel efficient v8 for the c7 while keeping the front engine/transaxle design.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by texas94z
why would gm switch to a mid engine platform? they have the traditional front engine and transaxle platform mastered correct???

i dont think that they would invest in a mid engine platform. proudpony is right the cost would be huge. why change something when it is the absolute best competitively.

gm should invest in a respectable quality interior like the cts, a diet, aerodynamics and a fuel efficient v8 for the c7 while keeping the front engine/transaxle design.
Exactly. Besides, the C6 is already a mid engine, per the accepted definition of the engine being between the axles, and has dang close, if not exact 50/50 weight distribution.

Moot point, since the "mid engine" car is dead and burried anyway.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:56 PM

Why create a new formula, when the Corvette keeps getting better and better?
Really, they just need to keep on making the Corvette better, higher quality interior, lighter weight, take the lessons learned form the ZR1 and Z06 and apply them here.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 AM

Vettes arent selling really well. 0% on them for the first time I can remember. And the 08 has the 430hp LS3 standard. An ad in the Detroit news has new Z06s at $10,000 off. GM doesnt have the funds at this time for a newly designed Vette of any arcitecture.

Quick Reply: Possible Middle Engine C7?!?!