Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles
View Poll Results: Good move for Porsche?
Yes
7.41%
No
51.85%
Get Porsche out of SUVs!!!
40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Porsche Cayenne Hybrid.... with Toyota powerplant

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:13 AM

Porsche Cayenne Hybrid.... with Toyota powerplant

As written in auto extremist:

From the "Hell Freezes Over" File, Automotive News Europe reported that Porsche is considering building a hybrid version of the Cayenne - using a Toyota powertrain. Readers of this site know exactly what we think about the Cayenne, but it's clear that this is a new low in Porsche history.

http://www.autoextremist.com/page6.shtml
Old 10-27-2004, 10:23 AM

Re: Porsche Cayenne Hybrid.... with Toyota powerplant

You know, with the intro of the 450hp Cayenne turbo, i was begining to think "finally, an SUV that MIGHT be worthy of having the Porsche badge", but this hybrid brings me back full circle. Just can the whole SUV idea alltogether, and if they're going to offer one, keep the Turbo one only. Leave the hybrids and the lesser hp engines to the Tourages (sp?).
Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 AM

porsche begging toyota for help is the low point of the decline of western civilization as we know it...
Old 10-27-2004, 12:23 PM

I see no reason for Porsche to enter mass market with its SUV. As Gold_Rush said, if the only reason they entered the market with their Cayenne was performance SUV, then they should've stuck with Turbo model only. But, if you have a turbo model, why not make a cheaper model to sell more units? That's the flaw, in my opinion. And now with this Hybrid craze...

Tractor truck owners are modding their diesels for upwards of 700 - 900 HP, and perhaps Porsche should be directed to Freightliner to partner together in the release of the most powerful tractor truck ever, a twin turbo water-cooled diesel Freightliner, 1000 HP, priced at a moderate $250K.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:39 PM

Instead of the hell freezes over file, this should be in the fuggin dumb file.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:47 PM

Can any of you guys give one valid reason why this a bad thing? Improves gas milage, performance, and sales all at the same time. Porche is a business just like any other auto manufacturer out there, of course they're going to make smart business decisions. Porsche enthusiasts still have their dedicated sports cars and all that, so why are they even concerned about this? For that matter, why are any of YOU concerned about this? How many brand new Porsche's have you bought recently?

Last edited by Meccadeth; 10-27-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
Can any of you guys give one valid reason why this a bad thing? Improves gas milage, performance, and sales all at the same time. Porche is a business just like any other auto manufacturer out there, of course they're going to make smart business decisions. Porsche enthusiasts still have their dedicated sports cars and all that, so why are they even concerned about this? For that matter, why are any of YOU concerned about this? How many brand new Porsche's have you bought recently?
Perhaps you're going to welcome the notion of AWD 4-door Camaro, or even a Camaro station wagon. Just because it's a business, and I bet they'd sell more Camaros that way.

Don't get me wrong, I am just alittle sarcastic, but for Porsche to get into SUVs is somehow morally wrong. They are known for their no-substitute sports cars. They have a great formula for that. But SUV craze? And to top it off, Hybrid technology that is so underdeveloped by Porsche itself that it has to borrow powerplant from.. Toyota? While this might make a business case, that's the only thing that it makes.

I guess that with globalization and fight for market dominance and basically greed, it is harder and harder to get surprised anymore. Manufacturers are making snappy decisions that no one could predict.

What is Porsche's obsessions with SUVs anyway? VW, as their parent, can move plenty of stock with VW / Audi brand.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:22 PM

Can any of you guys give one valid reason why this a bad thing?
Sure I can. It makes a joke out of the Porsche name.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:24 PM

The Porsche loyalists, and many car guys in general see it as a waste of time because Porsche quit racing in order to develop the damn things. Thats like Ferrari leaving F1, just for reference. Porsche's heart and soul has been racing, since the inception of the company. They turned their back on all that, in the search for a quick buck.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 PM

Actually, you can say the same for Nissan, who is also using the toyota powertraine, actually, they are not using the electric motor, just using the differntials and some convertors, but the ENGINES ARE MANUFACTURED IN HOUSE!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by muckz
What is Porsche's obsessions with SUVs anyway? VW, as their parent, can move plenty of stock with VW / Audi brand.
Is there any information that you can direct me to that shows that Audi-VW is the parent company of Porsche? The divisions of Audi-VW VAG that I can find are Audi, VW, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, and Skoda. ANd if I go to the investor information for Porsche AG, I find no mention of any of the stock being held by Audi-VW or any other automotive company for that matter. The owners are private individuals and financial institutions.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:39 AM

Porsche is one of the last independents. They have a technical partnership with VW/Audi.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Is there any information that you can direct me to that shows that Audi-VW is the parent company of Porsche? The divisions of Audi-VW VAG that I can find are Audi, VW, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, and Skoda. ANd if I go to the investor information for Porsche AG, I find no mention of any of the stock being held by Audi-VW or any other automotive company for that matter. The owners are private individuals and financial institutions.

My bad, VW and Porsche only have working relationships.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:12 PM

Can any of you guys give one valid reason why this a bad thing?
Can you give me a valid reason for Ferarri or Lambo to follow and start building slow hybrid SUV? How about GMC getting a rebaged Aveo?

Some brands have their niche, do well there, and should stay there.