Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Please GM, Fix the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM

I stopped reading this thread some time ago when I realized (much like HAZ-matt mentioned) that this is one of the most dumbest threads I've seen here in a long time. It's as if someone woke up with with a glaring case of hemoroids and decided to take it out on the Corvette, and a group of malcontents decided to pile on.

If there were some sort of facts or logic to the Corvette bashing, that would be one thing. Criticism that is constructive and takes things into account can improve things, or at the very least, make good points. I really don't see that in this thread.

Using a Top Gear test to criticize a Corvette, when Top Gear actually loved the car, saying a car cost the same as a Z06 and is better when in fact it costs at least $40,000 more, making a false issue out of brakes, and throughout the entire course of these and other things lobbed at the Vette, the complete failue to realize we're talking about a car name that competes with (and beats more often than not) cars of the same class that costs many thousands, tens of thousands (or even HUNDREDS of thousands) more really boggles the mind.

Does Corvette need a better interior?

Of course it does. The standards for interior quality have shot upwards like a rocket, and cars that have both a long life between overhauls and tend to have dedicated fans tend to change only when necessary.

Does it need a new body styling?

Again, most certainly. The current body seems like simply a more pressed and creased version of the same Corvette that came out 12 years ago save the exposed headlights that look like they were pirated from a Dodge Viper.

But, Corvette IS in fact a "REAL" car, not some hand made and/or overpriced, overcomplicated, and overrated status symbol. Corvette is the car that anyone whose kids are no longer taking chunks of money and the morgage is paid can afford. It's also a car that can be bought by anyone who can buy a mid-level BMW.

Keep in mind that ALL 2 seat sports cars are down in sales. Also, keep in mind that those who own 2 passenger sports cars almost always have another vehicle in their garage, and these cars are more toys than anything else. In any economic hard times, while sporty coupes (whose buyers at least as often as not have these as their sole vehicle) tend to hold their own or increase, buying a 2 passenger sports car doesn't immediately top anyone's buying list. Corvette, a vehicle that has been the best selling car of it's type for pretty much as long as anyone can remember is far more a victim of that than imaginary crappy brakes or any "coolness" factor.

Corvette is not perfect. But it's nowhere near as bad or has the issues some of you here are making it out to be.

BTW: They have creams for those problems.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM

No one here has said that the Corvette sucks, blows, or is just downright a horrible car.

But, it is a near-50k car, but it has the interior quality of an Aveo.
Its about perception Guy, thats all. Perception is what this car, and cars like it, live off of.
Top Gear loved its performance, but disliked its quality. And its not just Clarkson, its a global issue that people have with the car. Cars in its class have a higher quality interior, and thats just a problem I have with the car.

It has nothing to do with the performance of the car. My only qualm about the performance of the car is the constant nag I hear about the car can feel numb in turns, as compared to other sports cars that have much better feeling in the steering. I personally belive it has something to do with the transverse leaf spring suspension.
I would love to see C7 go with a coil over system for a true independant suspension.

Its brake caliper size, IMO, is a perception issue. IMO, they put the Z06's brakes onto a Corvette and its MSRP is 55k, and along with that MSRP came with a lot of other unique stuff for the GS only.
IMO, the C7's base car needs to be able to match the GS car, or at least come really really close, jus tlike the C6 was about 90% a C5 Z06.

Last edited by Big Als Z; 12-05-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM

You have been able to fine $10K off a C6 since 2007 model year as long as you deal with a delaer that has allocation. It is a little harder with small town dealers, and when an upgraded model comes out..but still possible. Dealers get Corvette based on allocation. To keep their allocation, they have to move units. So they make their money off the customer who comes in, orders their car with every option in the book, pays basically sticker+ rebates, and goes to Borlwing Green to pick it up. Then they keep their volume by ordering cars like the one Conti is offering above, and blowing them out if they sit more than a few days.

I also am thinking the Camaro is hurting Corvette sales. I know it sounds rediculous, but my local dealer has had two people trade in 2008 Corvettes for new Camaros. A loaded 2SS/RS runs in the low $40's now..which is the same price after rebates a middle of the road C6 coupe costs.