Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Pics and Video of the GTO from Bowling Green..plus an SSR oddity..

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by formula79
MC is about 9"

A Mustang is about 183" long, so overall lengthwise it is closer than the MC. The reason I think it looks bigger is the Mustang has a 101" wheelbase and the MC and GTO are both at ~110"

And yes the Velcro wood trim is real..this is a production model. Also I have a few issue with the build quality on the SSR there. First off the cover for the slide in cupholder on the dash became MIA at some point in the weekend, secondly, the simulated aluminum HVAC controls felt cheap, like if you didn't pay attention they would easily come off. The aluminum shifter, or whatever it was, got really hot after sitting with the top down in the sun, and the aluminum bar on the steering wheel created wicked reflections in the widshield depending on the angle of the sun.

The question is not if the SSR is cool, but more What price are you willing to pay to be the SSR's brand of cool?
I think the SSR's interior looks cool. But as you made clear, there are still some areas where GM/NA needs to get some quality lessons from some of it's other branches.

It seems the $35K, virtual kit-car Plymouth Prowler's interior quality may have been quite a bit better than the $45K "almost professional grade" Chevrolet truck.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
What's the round black button in the glove compartment? Tell me that's not a trunk release.
On thins point - you can use that button, or the key has an release button integrated - I'll be the same as my Commodores key:

Bigger version
Old 09-24-2003, 11:21 PM

Hey that looks like my key...

Old 09-25-2003, 07:23 AM

That's one huge key! lol....Better make sure you don't lose it or you'll be paying out the wazoo. And I thought a $28 F-body key was expensive.

On the trunk release button. I understand why they put it there. You can lock your glove compartment so that even if someone has access to the car interior they shouldn't be able to get to the trunk (theoreticly). GM had it in the same location on the 93-96 Camaro's and people complained.....it was moved it to below the headlight switch with the new interior in 97.

Anyway....don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Just seemed odd to me.

Last edited by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!; 09-25-2003 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:51 AM

This whole idea of the car chirping its tires (on the 1-2 shift) with 3 or 4 of you in it...that got anything to do with the wet pavement I see in the clips?

Really nice car, I like it alot. Reminds me quite a bit of a grand prix though.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:55 AM

You know something, I honestly think it's gonna be great to have that car on the road. Especially when the improvements come, then when it gets made here, and so on. I think it's pretty cool Pontiac brought the GTO back and the sound of the true duals helps. I just hope this is the start and they think any others out better and don't have to make the required changes over years. As many musclecars and RWD V8 as possible. More cars at the cruise nights and car shows will be great. But that dude really was turning that wheel to get around the lot.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by lbrowne
This whole idea of the car chirping its tires (on the 1-2 shift) with 3 or 4 of you in it...that got anything to do with the wet pavement I see in the clips?

Really nice car, I like it alot. Reminds me quite a bit of a grand prix though.
no...the chirped tires happened another day when it was 100% dry and sunny.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:12 PM

I can't wait to see one of these on the road. The only downside is that I know unless I win the lottery I can't afford one. College sucks!