Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Personal Test (no obsevation) XLR vs. The World

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 12:04 PM

Arrow Personal Test: XLR vs. The World

Road Test: XLR vs. The World
By: 1990 Turbo Grand Prix

Last Mon-Wed, I got to drive what are arguably the most pampering automobiles in the world; the Lexus SC 430, Mercedes Benz SL 500, Jaguar XK8 convertible, and the new 2004 Cadillac XLR. What I can say about these awesome machines is that they are fantastic traveling machines. Here’s a review on each, both street and track.

Lexus SC 430: (Street) Driving the SC430 on the street s very much like driving a regular Lexus, very smooth and quiet, exhibiting the very best in quality fit and finish, as well as feel. I, however, felt as if it was missing the pizzazz that is needed in such an automobile. For your $65,000, I think such a car should be fun and be inspiring to drive, but the Lexus is not. A very nice drive but not for those who lust for performance.

(Track) The Lexus’s soft suspension makes it less confident in the corners, but its powertrain does a decent job of motivating the SC 430 to high speeds. Again, a very nice drive but not for those who lust for performance.

Mercedes Benz SL 500: (Street) The Benz is quite a machine, period ($108,000). To drive one is to drive near perfection. Seating is comfortable, the power is peaky but torquey, and the looks are stunning. However, one gripe is the rattling behind the seat for the top light bar. Both Benzes did this. Why I don’t know, they may have been loose, but on smooth roads it was very quiet. Very much quality, and an obvious reason for being #1 in the eyes of potential consumers.

(Track) The smooth SL handled the corners very well. The torque band helped down low and felt very composed. For such a smooth ride, the handling was equally impressive. A very enjoyable ride.

Jaguar XK8: (Street) The Jag is much like the Lexus in terms of its mission. It’s more biased to luxury than performance. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just for $77,000, I would hope it did everything to boot! The soft top shook a little compared to the others hard retractables, but it rode very nice like a Jag should.

(Track) This is where I think the Jag could use some help. Its many gears wouldn’t allow it to shift down to get up to higher speed on the tight track. It drifted much more than the others, but that is the price you pay for ride in the XK8.

Cadillac XLR: (Street) Wow! For the new comer Caddy, this is nice ($76,000). In every department, this meets or beats the SL 500. I know, hard to believe, but it’s true. It rides very well, and handles the corners great. The new NorthStar with VVT and 320hp sure zips the fastest. Only in ergos and interior layout do I have a hard time deciding between the Caddy and the Benz. But rest assured, it is every bit as good as anything out there.

(Track) This is the Caddy that zigs! The XLR handles so good with the Stabilitrak, you would think you are Mario. Very impressive to say the least. Quick and nimble, the XLR will win you over with the muscle it possesses. Only complaint, needs wider tires. Squeals too much IMO.

Overall Ranking: 1. Cadillac/Mercedes 3. Lexus 4. Jaguar

Last edited by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix; 07-11-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:42 PM

Sweet sounds like a magazine test! I've too heard that the XLR is right on par with the best premium luxo converts available. My compliments to the chef this Caddy is what GM and especially Cadillac needs. I think if GM would price it under the competitors they would really have them.

I hear ya about the interior, its hard to beat M-B and the SL's. From the XLR's I've seen the dash layout, look and feel are nice but could be a bit better. Loose the faux wood and go more upscale leather and hides across the dash.

So how did ya get into this test?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:47 PM

I knew when the XLR was going to be the Northstar in the Vette platform, I knew we had a performance winner. All they need to do is make sure the interior is the best you can get, and there will be no stopping the XLR. It's awesome art and science styling looks incredible in person!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:51 PM

Speaks well for the C6. What a great opportunity you had to test all of these cars!
Old 07-07-2003, 02:12 PM

I haven't seen one in person, but the interior on the XLR just doesn't look all that great IMO. Too bland and too cost-cutter looking. I actually prefer the C5 Vette's interior to the XLR from a purely aesthetic standpoint (since I haven't seen one up close I can't judge the quality).

The one thing that confuses me is why they bothered with a Northstar VVT motor when they could have just put one of the LS1-derived motors in there. Are the LSX motors not smooth and quiet enough for Caddy?

I'm not all that sure that these cars are all in the same class- especially price-wise. You've got a 60k dollar SC430 in there with a 110k dollar Benz.

But I guess it's the only option these days when cars seem to be moreso and moreso creating their own class and style.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:49 PM

I haven't seen one in person, but the interior on the XLR just doesn't look all that great IMO. Too bland and too cost-cutter looking.
The XLR's interior wasn't bad, it just lacked a little in the styling department. The quality was just as good if not better than any of the others, it's just the looks that turned me off a little. It's tastefully done, just not as dramatic as the SL. Compared to your run of the mill interior, the XLR is great, compared to the SL, it is good. But again, this is just my opinion. Looks are subjective, quality is not and the Caddy has 'em both now.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:34 AM

Posted by 99SilverSS
So how did ya get into this test?
This was part of the XLR training experience that XLR qualified dealers get to go through. Certainly was a terrific time to say the least!

Last edited by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix; 07-11-2003 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
This part of the XLR training experience that XLR qualified dealers get to go through. Certainly was a terrific time to say the least!

Motor Trend had a very similar test in their July 2003 issue.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:53 AM

A small note, there is no faux wood in the XLR. It is real wood, I forget which kind at this moment but it is real wood! I look forward to seeing on in person as well.......
Old 07-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by tgitom
A small note, there is no faux wood in the XLR. It is real wood, I forget which kind at this moment but it is real wood! I look forward to seeing on in person as well.......
This is correct. The wood used in the XLR is eucalyptus wood. It looks very good in the car. A has a classy look to it.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
This is correct. The wood used in the XLR is eucalyptus wood. It looks very good in the car. A has a classy look to it.

Maybe it's just me but I think the wood would have looked better if it was darker and had some more curves to it.