Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Pacifica is 'drowning' early.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 08:16 AM

Pacifica is 'drowning' early.

by The Car Connection
Sluggish initial sales are forcing Chrysler to rush a less expensive Pacifica crossover to market, according to the Detroit Free Press. A version of the wagon priced below $30,000 will emerge by this fall as Chrysler tries to push sales of the Pacifica to 100,000 annually. Chrysler introduced the Pacifica in March priced from $31,230 for a front-drive models and $32,980 for an all-wheel-drive model, but thus far, according to the paper, has sold only 4828 copies. The less expensive front-drive Pacifica will have a cloth interior and will lose high-cost features like adjustable pedals in the quest to make it more affordable.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:21 AM

Pacifica is a great looking, high quality minivan. But I think people who would pay big bucks for one would simply get an SUV instead.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by guionM
Pacifica is a great looking, high quality minivan. But I think people who would pay big bucks for one would simply get an SUV instead.
Ya... while 300M has sold relatively well at a somewhat high sticker, I don't know that Chrysler has built enough of a luxury reputation to be pricing things in this range yet...

I know their intent is to become a true Cadillac-like division, but this is what it is like when you are failing, compared to Cadillac who is succeeding.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:51 AM

Maybe with a cheaper model, they can compete with the Buick Rendezvous. For those who don't want an Aztek's looks but want the size and an upscale look, it's the perfect match. We sell a ton of them. Anyone know how they do nation wide?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:18 AM

Is Chrysler even advertising this vehicle? I didnt even know it existed until about 2 weeks ago on vacation when I saw one on display at a mall in Orlando. I havent seen TV commericials or billboards that mention this car anywhere. Since I've been home I've only seen 1 on the road.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Is Chrysler even advertising this vehicle? I didnt even know it existed until about 2 weeks ago on vacation when I saw one on display at a mall in Orlando. I havent seen TV commericials or billboards that mention this car anywhere. Since I've been home I've only seen 1 on the road.
I think they are a little... I believe they have one of their Celine Dion TV commericials for Pacifica, but ya, I have only seen it a few times.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:42 AM

It's a great vehicle for the most part, but there's a couple pieces carried-over from less-expensive platforms <cough>Neon</cough> that kinda stick out. Additionally, it's just plain too expensive - the one that we're borrowing from a dealer has a $42K sticker on it, and for that money a nice extended-cab diesel 3/4-ton truck sounds a lot better (and you're getting rather close to a base 5-series or E-class wagon).
Old 06-13-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by bigsteve7
Actually I see a lot of commercials here in Houston for them. There is one every two days and sometimes they appear in the news breaks with that Celine song "I drove all night" there are two of them. One with her in the car I guess and the other is a gentleman in new York maybe (Didn't pay much attention was busy on the computer)...
Old 06-13-2003, 09:56 AM

USA today seems think Dion is a good bet for MOPAR ...
http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...-08-dion_x.htm

I agree ...

I think their crossfire may get caught in the crossfire. Beginning yesterday, a new advertising print campaign captures the essence of the Chrysler Crossfire in just six words:

"Dreamed in America. Crafted in Germany."

My brother who lives in Texas, doesn't seem to think this is a great idea .... I tend to agree.

Ted
Old 06-13-2003, 10:02 AM

I'm bored ....

Check out this ....
http://www.uemedia.com/artman/upload...2chrysler4.mov

You may not be into minivans but this will sellto millions of soccer moms ...

Ted
Old 06-13-2003, 10:05 AM

Her drove all night (Crossfire) is here

http://www.uemedia.com/artman/upload...2chrysler2.mov

Still Bored, but a little more entertained ...
Old 06-13-2003, 10:56 AM

When I saw the 1st commercial my thoughts were, "it's a freaking stationwagon!"

Sorry, but that doesn't excite me.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:27 AM

I've said all along that Pacifica simply looks like a more stylish alternative to a Caravan. It's a tall wagon competing at a price point with fully loaded, popular Explorers and Trailblazers. Chrysler may have overestimated demand for this one...
Old 06-13-2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by jg95z28
When I saw the 1st commercial my thoughts were, "it's a freaking stationwagon!"
And for me that's a good thing, but the main advantage of a wagon for me is that it should still ride and handle like a good sedan. The Pacifica isn't bad, but it's more minivan than car when it comes to handling (the 4400 lb curb weight doesn't help).

At $25K and similar equipment to our Accord, it'd be fairly attractive.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:51 PM

Arrow

I agree that it is definetely overpriced. But it sure looks like the dealers are thinking they and their vehicle are the shiat in the market...

My neighbors were shopping for a replacement for her 00 GP GT. They are for-GM people but since their current minivan offering is ridiculous, they had to go elsewhere.

They went to three different Chrysler dealerships to see what kind of deal they could get and all of them were firm on price, no barganing, low-balling trade-in offers, poor customer service etc. etc.

After checking out Toyota and Nissan, they went with a fully loaded (leather, DVD etc. etc.) Honda Odyssey. Great buying experience: great people, great service, good price, good trade-in value etc. etc. And a great vehicle, too!

Based on their experience, they will not shop at another Chrysler dealer again.

TS