Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Oil Company 3rd Quarter Profits Released: Exxon Made 10 BILLION DOLLARS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 04:50 PM

Oil Company 3rd Quarter Profits Released: Exxon Made 10 BILLION DOLLARS!

WHAT A FRIGGEN RIP OFF! I just heard it on a local Detroit news station, here's a quick news.google.com search I did to post articles about it. We really need to stop this bull****.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...NESS/510280432
http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...S_o&refer=home
http://www.commondreams.org/news2005/1027-22.htm
Old 10-28-2005, 04:53 PM

Re: Oil Company 3rd Quarter Profits Released: Exxon Made 10 BILLION DOLLARS!

Capitalism.

As long as people are willing to sink $80+ into their SUVs once or twice a week, they'll keep making obnoxious profits.

I don't like it, but...I really don't have too big a problem with it. Probably because the alternative scares me.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 PM

It's not true capitalism. There are cartels at all levels from getting the crude out of the ground to refining it to gasoline.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:59 PM

I share your anger.

Oil companies don't seem to be doing GM any favours atm with their new line of SUVs about to hit the streets, which GM depends on for the bulk of their profits.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:14 PM

I don't know what this has to do with the 5th gen section, but if gas prices bother you then buy a more efficient vehicle, or take fewer trips.

The gas companies will charge what the market will bear. If they charged less, there would be shortages and gas lines.

I don't like high gas prices either. That's one of the reasons that over the last few years I've been slowly and methodically taking actions to reduce my energy consumption.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
I don't know what this has to do with the 5th gen section, but if gas prices bother you then buy a more efficient vehicle, or take fewer trips.

The gas companies will charge what the market will bear. If they charged less, there would be shortages and gas lines.

I don't like high gas prices either. That's one of the reasons that over the last few years I've been slowly and methodically taking actions to reduce my energy consumption.
Good points.

David
Old 10-28-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by WERM

So true. Sucks having HIGH gas prices, but let the market dictate how much to charge. I'm too young to remember the early 70's gas crisis, but stories of LONG lines for gas scares me.

And all this happened because of a cap on prices set by the govt. The gas companies (OPEC) is not stupid, all they will do is reduce supply which leads to the aformentioned shortages and long lines at the pump.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:28 PM

When it gets to the point that you have decide "Do I eat lunch, or get a tank of gas?" that's sad. Maybe you, in your older years, are able to afford it and handle it better than a 19 year old college kid like myself, but gas is outrageous for the ones that don't have the careers and better pay.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by meissenation
When it gets to the point that you have decide "Do I eat lunch, or get a tank of gas?" that's sad. Maybe you, in your older years, are able to afford it and handle it better than a 19 year old college kid like myself, but gas is outrageous for the ones that don't have the careers and better pay.
I feel ya...
Old 10-29-2005, 12:23 AM

would you rather the US oil industry be nationalized?
Old 10-29-2005, 01:13 AM

Does anyone one else realize that the "big Evil Wal-Mart" made slightly more profit last year than Exxon made last quarter?
Old 10-29-2005, 06:30 AM

Probally not. There aren't too many people who could grasp that concept, or even begin to see a problem with that.

Exxon sold 5% less fuel but made 70% MORE profit. Nope... doesn't register here.

The 4th quarter of 2001 Oil Companies combined earned $1.5 billion the 4th quarter, yet made $22.5 billion last quarter (that's a $1,500% increase in profits in less than 4 years)...... Nope, still nothing.

If the government raised fuel taxes 10 cents per gallon to fix roads or balence budgets, people here would go into vapor lock and start ranting about how evil government is. God forbid if it went up a quarter, even if it went to good use.

Yet, fuel prices double in just a year (not including the spike from Katrina), executives and stockholders pocket the money (it hasn't gone into making new refineries in almost 30 years) and it's just the free market in action. If you don't like it, buy a fuel efficient vehicle.

It's our patriotic duty to support energy companies are 110%. They would never artificially raise prices, would never gouge customers, or an entire state (California never needed to sue them, right?). If they raise prices, that's just the free market. Pay it or ride your bicycle you commie!

If profit margin jumps measure in the 100s to 1000% or more, that's good news! Without this we'd have long lines and a lack of gasoline, so cut them some slack. They are jacking up prices for YOUR benefit, damn it!

At least it's not going to the government!

(Did I come off as a little sarcastic towards the end? )

Last edited by guionM; 10-29-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:38 AM

Well how many oil companies can you name. End of discussion.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Exxon sold 5% less fuel but made 70% MORE profit. Nope... doesn't register here.
Problem is, we all pissed and moaned, but bought the gas anyway. As long as we give them this kind of pricing power, how can we blame them for raising the price? (We'll forget that it's a market price that isn't set by Exxon.)

I don't like high gas prices just as much as anyone else, I just think it's a little strange that as a country we complain bitterly about gas prices yet 50% of vehicle sales are trucks and SUVs.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:47 AM

I too hate the high gas prices, but the absolute last thing we need is the government butting in with price controls (got the 70s?), or start allowing the government to take more of our money via another tax.

Free markets aren't perfect, but I'll take $3 per gallon gas over $7 per gallon gas (many places in "enlightened" Europe) any day of the week.

No sarcasm needed.

Quick Reply: Oil Company 3rd Quarter Profits Released: Exxon Made 10 BILLION DOLLARS!