Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Oh, fer Cripe's sake...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 PM

Oh, fer Cripe's sake...

This whole Caprice/G8 thing is pissing me off.

On again / off again...

Whatever...

Sure feels like we're right back to the whole "let's get consensus on everything so that we actually do NOTHING" GM strategy.

I **** you not...

I offered GM a multi-MULTI-MULTI million dollar cost savings once... engineering thought it was a great idea... purchasing thought it was a great idea... everybody thought it was a great idea... we began the validation process at OUR OWN cost...

Locked and cocked, baby. Worked like a freaking charm.

And then GM did NOTHING.

Not because anybody thought it wouldn't work, or it was a bad idea, but because GM couldn't manage to get 30 or so people in a room at once to come to a consensus.

To this day, they're paying way too much for that part.

Here's a newsflash:
You can't get 30 people in a room to agree to ANYTHING. You could ask them to discuss the color the walls are painted and I GUARANTEE YOU they will not all agree.

GM has created a least-common-denominator corporate culture packed with lots and lots of smart people who have all kinds of letters after their names who CAN'T DO JACK because they're too afraid to do ANYTHING AT ALL.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 AM

more of the same...from a company that says they are now different.

Where is Fritz's blog location?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 AM

Can't they see how much resentment this sort of thing creates?

The whole history of zeta is this kind of garbage.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM

So far it's been the same type of rhetoric that we've heard for years. I'm not expecting things to change over night, but GM sure isn't helping their public image with this whole debacle.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 AM

. . . and I continue my move towards Ford more and more everyday . . .
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by El Duce
. . . and I continue my move towards Ford more and more everyday . . .
ugh I know what you mean. I love GM, am a young guy at 25 with (hopefully) many more vehicular purchases in my future. I currently own two GM vehicles, the Camaro in my sig and an '06 Pontiac G6 GTP (which i really really like). I love buying American, and more importantly I love buying GM.

I'd love to park a new Camaro next to my current, but with the way GM handles themselves who knows if the car will even be here when its fiscally the right time for me to make an addition to my stable? That said, the new Mustang design really appeals to me, as well as the new Taurus SHO.

I hope GM gets their shenanigans in line as I'd like to get my hands on a CTS and a new Camaro at somepoint in my life!
Old 07-18-2009, 02:32 AM

Things like this is why this company will never be what it could be or once was. They refuse to make what people want beyond one or two cars.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
This whole Caprice/G8 thing is pissing me off.

On again / off again...

Whatever...

Sure feels like we're right back to the whole "let's get consensus on everything so that we actually do NOTHING" GM strategy.
How do you know that? Auto press is not a reliable source.

Originally Posted by JadedZ28
I'd love to park a new Camaro next to my current, but with the way GM handles themselves who knows if the car will even be here when its fiscally the right time for me to make an addition to my stable? That said, the new Mustang design really appeals to me, as well as the new Taurus SHO.

I hope GM gets their shenanigans in line as I'd like to get my hands on a CTS and a new Camaro at somepoint in my life!
GM is out of bankruptcy now. Shenanigans over, old GM is dead.

Originally Posted by IZ28
Things like this is why this company will never be what it could be or once was. They refuse to make what people want beyond one or two cars.
The new company has only been around for 8 days Sorry your 500HP LS7, 40mpg, hybrid, 3000lbs. $25K fullsize sedan isn't hear yet.

Last edited by Z28x; 07-18-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 AM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Z28x

The new company has only been around for 8 days Sorry your 500HP LS7, 40mpg, hybrid, 3000lbs. $25K fullsize sedan isn't hear yet.
We will see...

And that car would be friggin awesome!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:08 AM

I don't know about shenanigans being over...http://www.newsweek.com/id/201949?from=rss
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM

I read Lutz's blog post. To me, it seems more like a pissing contest between Henderson and Lutz, and Henderson won. If a business case could be made for the G8, with less dealers and lower volumes, how could a case NOT be made for a Chevy version with more dealers and higher volumes?

This is BS. Period. Saying its a pissing contest is pure conjecture on my part, but this kind of back-and-forth is exactly what GM does not need at this point, especially on a car as wholly good as the G8 is/was.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:11 AM

"Sometimes bribing is a substitute for bossing, as with the "cash for clunkers" idea: Give vouchers worth up to $4,500 to people who trade in their vehicles for more fuel-efficient ones. One rationale for this is, of course, green: It would put a cool compress on Mother Earth's supposedly fevered brow. But the plan also is yet another bailout for the bottomless money pit called Detroit. The plan would entice customers into showrooms."
He obviously didn't read the bill because it helps ever automaker, not just evil American companies. George Will is a very smart guy, it is amazing to see him say such dumb things.

Originally Posted by Jason E
I read Lutz's blog post. To me, it seems more like a pissing contest between Henderson and Lutz, and Henderson won. If a business case could be made for the G8, with less dealers and lower volumes, how could a case NOT be made for a Chevy version with more dealers and higher volumes?
I think it depends on how Police market Caprices sell. Henderson doesn't want to promise something they can't deliver on. Volume might not be there for the 2010-11 Commodore/Caprice. Hopefully enough changes are made on the 2012 that it can be built in Canada.

Last edited by Z28x; 07-20-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

LS7 is old hat. I want all that in a 638hp LS9.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 AM

It actually needs to be available in a Coupe and a manual at all trim levels. Have you learned nothing from this forum???