Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

now 2009?? god talk about being late to the party..

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 08:29 PM

Angry now 2009?? god talk about being late to the party..

thats the end of the decade what will be trendy then?? right now the world of hipo cars is comming back..no more SUV craze...the sport sedan is back the sports car is comming back the pony car is there (MUSTANG) GM if your going to wait till 2009 to make a new ponycar?? I think no one will wait..you got to hit them now..Im not going to wait..and I like what japan has for cars comming here...hey I dont hate good fast cars your telling me you dont like the Skyline??

------------------
thanks
David Morgan
the "Over Drive Gang"
94 Z28 A4, K/N FIPK!,AIT Relocator,TB bypass,99 SS MAF Airfoil,HPP+, Shiftkit,Cutout, Flowmaster 80 series American Thunder Exhaust with 3" Chrome tips GMS Strut Tower Brace, GMS Sub Frame Connectors AND 93-96 GM Export Tail Lights! GTS Headlight Covers and Tail covers.

http://overdrive-gang.tripod.com

Check it out !! you might know some of the cars, or my friends.and a few of their rides frequent the pages of muscle car mags

Congrats Tony L. of the "ODG" Owner of The BBC 6SP 81 Malibu

Making Hot Rod Mags top 10 cars of 2001!!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:08 AM

Ya seriously, what is the deal with it taking so long. Red Planet??? Anyone??? Where have you been???

------------------
"Let the second era of muscle car wars begin!"
www.gerbilz28.cjb.net
1995.5 3.8L V6 red Camaro with a nice *** sound system.
www.mustangvscamaro.com Check it out! Its another cool site.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:57 AM

Talking

Know what they should do...as Ford did in 97-98 for the F-150 is overlap production of cars..take the Monte Carlo..for the next 2 years have a FWD Monte and have it FWD and such but work on the RWD Monte and when its ready say in 2 years from now..make it the top of the line Monte Carlo SS..RWD LS1 stuff like that..but have the base family oriented FWD car..well it would be better than waiting 4 5 6 years...
just overlap your cars..give them similar front ends or something and tail lights..and there ya go..just a thought..Ford did it with the #1 selling truck on the planet why cant GM with some of its best selling cars..
Old 08-24-2002, 01:36 PM

Exclamation

Once again let me reinterate, 2008 was the conservative guesstimate given to me. 2008 as the 2008 MODEL year, not calender year. By conservative, that means the longest time it it's expected to take. The shortest possible time according to redplanet is 2006. We'll be in the 2004 model year in about 3 months! That means between 2 & 4 years, which clicks with the fact that GM began working on Camaro styling last fall after Bob Lutz got there.

Based on that, if Camaro comes back in 2009, it would mean GM has bigger problems than just the lack of a Camaro.
Old 08-25-2002, 01:40 AM

Question

Where is this info comming from? Who said 2006 or 2009 or any year for that matter?
Old 08-25-2002, 04:24 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guionM:
Once again let me reinterate, 2008 was the conservative guesstimate given to me. 2008 as the 2008 MODEL year, not calender year. By conservative, that means the longest time it it's expected to take. The shortest possible time according to redplanet is 2006. We'll be in the 2004 model year in about 3 months! That means between 2 & 4 years, which clicks with the fact that GM began working on Camaro styling last fall after Bob Lutz got there.

Based on that, if Camaro comes back in 2009, it would mean GM has bigger problems than just the lack of a Camaro.
</font>
If you are looking for redplanets response looks at Guion's earlier post in this thread. 09 was never mentions so you can get your thong unwaddded.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

My bet is for the 2007 model year. That way they can bring it back as the 40th anniversary model.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:47 PM

I would bet on 06 for an 07 model just like 66 for the 67 model when the Camaro 1st came out.

------------------
Camaro/Chevrolet crazy F-Body lunatic.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:50 PM

For the 40th Anniversary too obviously, kinda like the GTO.

------------------
Camaro/Chevrolet crazy F-Body lunatic.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:29 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99SilverSS:
Where is this info comming from? Who said 2006 or 2009 or any year for that matter?</font>
The information regarding Camaro are best guesses from people I've bugged, including a person directly involved with Grand Prix, a person associated with Chevrolet, though not Camaro directly, 2 more from other GM divisions amoung others.

I was doing some personal research on a RWD Grand Prix, I've noticed some people will speak more freer to someone who noses around the car industry as a hobby than as a job, & I wanted to find out some things for myself. Camaro was mentioned in one e-mail, so after that everyone else I spoke to who knew anything about what's generally going on inside GM (employee or contractor) I asked their opinion. In every case, almost without exception, the response was the same.

Everyone knew that Chevy was working on a RWD sedan that had a high priority, and Monte Carlo & Camaro would likely come out immediately afterward. The conservative guess was 2008 model year, and I posted that (and mentioned that GM was streamlining it's methods so it could be sooner). The consensus was still the '06-'07 model year, which is the same as has been posted all over the internet (which is why I was flabbergasted when everyone pounded on 2009!).

In short, Monte Carlo and Camaro will return as RWD cars. The inside GM opinion is NLT the 2008 model/ 2007 calendar year. The reason a date can't be pinned down is because GM is comming up to speed in revamping their whole development process (possibly why noone will say when Camaro will be back) as well as a few other problems.

Old 08-28-2002, 03:28 AM

Question: THe Grand Prix goes to RWD, what platform does it go to? Sigma is meant for Cadillac and not Chevrolet or Pontiac. So therefore with that as the only RWD platform, are they developing a low cost RWD platform as we speak? For the Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, and for the Camaro to piggyback onto? That would make sense for the Camaro since the combined sales of the Monte Carlo and the Grand Prix would allow for a smaller selling Camaro to becomes economically feasible.
So what is the platform? Sigma? Modified FWD platform (It was earlier mentioned the W-body platform could "easily" be modified for RWD)? A new platform?
Old 08-28-2002, 10:37 PM

GM is working out a RWD platform that is a sort of mixure of "V" & "sigma".

It's not so much taking a V-car & hammering it to make a "sigma" components fit. It's more along the lines of taking a V's floorpan, using it as a step on point and improving the design, instead of starting with a clean sheet design, which would take alot more time & money to develop.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:12 AM

That makes sense then. It is always cheaper and easier to use off the shelf type of stuff instead of creating a new product. This would also reduce the amount of time it would take to create this new platform.
And this coincides with the fact that there is no "Sigma-light."
So if this is the case then, the FWD W-body is dead. And being that this is a FWD, the plant that produces it (I don't know what city its built in, some help please?) will have to go through a major overhaul to be converted into a RWD factory, right? So if we are to look for Camaro news, we shouldn't be looking for press releases and small quotes, but look for signs that this one plant will undergo an overhaul, even if the specifics of what type of overhaul are not disclosed!
Thanks for the answer before guionM, you always satisfy my picky questions on stuff like this.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:04 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by guionM:
GM is working out a RWD platform that is a sort of mixure of "V" & "sigma".

</font>

I'm pretty convinced that this new V/Sigma (whatever they end up calling it), platform will end up being the "bread and butter" RWD platform for Chevy, Pontiac and Holden.

.....I'm just not convinced yet that this would form the basis of a 5th gen Camaro.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:50 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Burmite:
That makes sense then. It is always cheaper and easier to use off the shelf type of stuff instead of creating a new product. This would also reduce the amount of time it would take to create this new platform.
And this coincides with the fact that there is no "Sigma-light."
So if this is the case then, the FWD W-body is dead. And being that this is a FWD, the plant that produces it (I don't know what city its built in, some help please?) will have to go through a major overhaul to be converted into a RWD factory, right? So if we are to look for Camaro news, we shouldn't be looking for press releases and small quotes, but look for signs that this one plant will undergo an overhaul, even if the specifics of what type of overhaul are not disclosed!
Thanks for the answer before guionM, you always satisfy my picky questions on stuff like this.
</font>
The "W" chassis is dead in a way, but not completely. A modified W will become the new "mid-lux" chassis which the new Grand Prix, and possibly the new Regal & LeSabre as well, will be based on (Someone over at carconnection.com thinks LeSabre will be based on the STS, but noone I asked could say anything). Also, last word was that Impala would be continuing (though Monte Carlo would be RWD or dead by 2008).

Apparently, some form of the W will be around till the end of the decade.

Quick Reply: now 2009?? god talk about being late to the party..