Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Nomad for 2007.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 12:02 AM

Nomad for 2007.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6854

Here's an excerpt--

"The sporty Chevrolet Nomad concept vehicle, first shown at the Detroit auto show last month, is tentatively approved for production by mid 2007, while an assortment of other sporty spin-offs of the new Kappa "architecture" are set to follow, well-placed sources tell TheCarConnection.com. These include a new Chevrolet coupe, a hardtop Buick convertible, and the long-sought "entry" model for Cadillac."

"A new Chevy coupe".

Have we been going down the wrong trail with all of this talk of Zeta?

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-16-2004 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:36 AM

We need some engineers to chime in here.

Kappa can be lengthened....but can it also be widened to to incorporate a V8 for a certain "new Chevrolet Coupe"?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:56 AM

It’s just a guess, but I’m betting this will be a separate car form the Camaro.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by stars1010
It’s just a guess, but I’m betting this will be a separate car form the Camaro.
Agreed. You said it yourself Z284Ever, the Kappa architecture wasn't designed with V8's (or V6's) in mind. I'm guessing this is something unrelated, but I can't figure out why Chevy would get two Kappa cars assuming the Nomad is going to happen...
Old 02-16-2004, 06:16 AM

one word CHEVELLE!!!!!

Well, if it wasn't me, I'm sure someone else would have said it
Old 02-16-2004, 07:17 AM

Production in mid-2007 as a 2008 model? Three and a half FREAKIN years away
Old 02-16-2004, 08:03 AM

I wish they would name them something else just incase of a flop they dont ruin the name.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:20 AM

Wow, in 2-3 years, things will be very interesting at GM. I can't believe all the new models that will be comming out. I always liked the latest Nomad concept, my guess is that it will look very similar to the concept, just as the Solstice is.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:35 AM

Maybe the thinking is that many of these kappa niche vehicles are planned for a short term run. So they must be planning many vehicles off this platform to extend it's life and also add variety to the product line.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:06 AM
slt

Originally posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Wow, in 2-3 years, things will be very interesting at GM.
In 2-3 years, I wont be shopping in the sports car segment.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by slt
In 2-3 years, I wont be shopping in the sports car segment.
Ahhhhh, but I will.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Agreed. You said it yourself Z284Ever, the Kappa architecture wasn't designed with V8's (or V6's) in mind. I'm guessing this is something unrelated, but I can't figure out why Chevy would get two Kappa cars assuming the Nomad is going to happen...
Yeah, I said that...and it's still true.

Maybe Zeta and Kappa share component sets and architecture...but have enough differences to be called different platform names. I don't know.

But what's this "new Chevrolet Coupe"?

Is it even possible to slot another Chevy coupe their?

At the same price point you'll have base Camaro, Nomad, Cobalt SS....and the "new Chevy coupe". Or is this Chevy coupe that they are refering to...the Camaro?

And what's this Buick 2+2 convertible with retractable hard top? Sounds like the Buick that Tiger Woods was seen in and labeled a Zeta.

As far as the small Caddy... I know they've said "officially" that Cadillac won't go below CTS...but if they were, Kappa would be sophisticated enough to fill the bill.

I need more info!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:05 PM

Why isn't the Kappa designed for V8's? Isn't it just a restyled structure of the Corvettes platform? In what way does it prohibit it from fitting a V8? Did they shorten the front end or something?
Old 02-16-2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Meccadeth
Why isn't the Kappa designed for V8's? Isn't it just a restyled structure of the Corvettes platform? In what way does it prohibit it from fitting a V8? Did they shorten the front end or something?
Kappa may have a few Corvette pieces but it isn't just a simple shortening of Corvette. The thing is, Kappa is supposed to be the small RWD niche platform for an array of products among different divisions. Keyword being small. I know there are people that have the "V8 or what's the point" attitude but there's no reason to give Kappa large motor capability here--that is (presumably) what Zeta is for. Anyway, I saw the guts of Kappa at NAIAS and believe me...the Ecotec almost looks shoehorned in there. Very little space between the firewall and front bumper.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
Kappa may have a few Corvette pieces but it isn't just a simple shortening of Corvette. The thing is, Kappa is supposed to be the small RWD niche platform for an array of products among different divisions. Keyword being small. I know there are people that have the "V8 or what's the point" attitude but there's no reason to give Kappa large motor capability here--that is (presumably) what Zeta is for. Anyway, I saw the guts of Kappa at NAIAS and believe me...the Ecotec almost looks shoehorned in there. Very little space between the firewall and front bumper.
I don't think the the Solstice should have a V8 at all, it doesn't make sense for the market their trying to break into. I thought there was a thread from a month ago that said that all Kappa is, is a Corvette chassis with minor differences. That makes me wonder why they couldn't fit a V8 in there if they wanted to on some future application.

Quick Reply: Nomad for 2007.