Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

No "official" Camaro program but..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by TheV6Bird
If the Keebler Elves are working on the F5 project, does that mean everyone will get a free package of Keebler cookies with the purchase of an F5?

I would trade the cookies the the Keebler Elf's sister: STACY KEEBLER!!!
Get in line!
Old 01-02-2003, 08:42 PM

To get serious for just a second and throw some ideas out there.....For any of you that have read "All Corvettes Are Red", take a look at chapter 11. It talks about when the C5 was first put on indefinite status, yet the corvette engineering staff just billed the future development against the C4 funding. This way they got their groundwork done for the C5 with no actual allotted funding for the C5. They couldn’t build mules or bring in outside suppliers in but they got the basic architecture locked in.
The more I read this book the more I think how in a way this parallels the Camaros situation in some ways. We all know there are guys on the inside who want our car back out on the streets. This really gives me a good feeling that 5th Gen funding may be hidden in cars like the SS concept. I sure hope they write a book like "All Corvettes Are Red" for the 5th gen. I cant put this book down, great Christmas present.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:32 PM

I think you guys have it right, its in there somewhere, this is why I don't think it will be as long as some are saying IMO. I just can't see them waiting till 08, the ship will have sailed by this time for all but the most diehard Camaro/GM people. If I am wrong , and it does take that long it will be a big mistake IMO. Lets hope the hardcore behind the scenes people have more pull than we think they do!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:52 AM

Originally posted by stars1010
To get serious for just a second and throw some ideas out there.....For any of you that have read "All Corvettes Are Red", take a look at chapter 11. It talks about when the C5 was first put on indefinite status, yet the corvette engineering staff just billed the future development against the C4 funding. This way they got their groundwork done for the C5 with no actual allotted funding for the C5. They couldn’t build mules or bring in outside suppliers in but they got the basic architecture locked in.
The more I read this book the more I think how in a way this parallels the Camaros situation in some ways. We all know there are guys on the inside who want our car back out on the streets. This really gives me a good feeling that 5th Gen funding may be hidden in cars like the SS concept. I sure hope they write a book like "All Corvettes Are Red" for the 5th gen. I cant put this book down, great Christmas present.
Good point about how they 'billed' the C5 development to the C4 funding... however, the boys might have to dig the hole a little deeper to hide the Camaro funding, since there is no longer an F4 to allocate F5 development costs to...