Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next Year's Auto Show Season (what to expect).

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 08:16 PM

Next Year's Auto Show Season (what to expect).

The autoshow season is still 7 months away, but it promises to be a pretty intresting run this year. It’s too early to post concepts that are planned, but there’s plenty of production iron to expect:

Ford:
Restyled Crown Victoria. It likely won’t be out till some time after the show (summer?), but it’s getting what is likely to be the last facelift on that body. Also the production Fusion, Zephyr, &Mercury version of the cars (can’t think of the name this second). Expect a pre-production view of the new Lincoln Aviator and redone Town Car. Very credible info has the Mustang with a T-top option sometime during the 2006 model year, and the production viewing of Shelby 500 GT is on for next season. We may also get a view of another upcoming special edition Mustang.

Chrysler:
Production version of Neon’s replacement, the Caliper, and possible SRT version. There will also be the Stratus & Sirrus replacements unveiled. Jeep will also have a pre production introduction as well. Word has Chrysler making a decision on the Firepower around that time.

Pontiac:
No telling what will & won’t happen now. Bonneville isn’t likely to be replaced, and the next GTO is on hold. Sticking just to introductions, there’s likely to be a performance Solstice. The G6 coupes are the big thing, but will be out by autoshow time.

Buick:
The new Lecerne will be out, and that’s going to be the big news there production-wise. IF Holden is going to be supplying Buick with a sedan, it’s likely to be shown this season, but at the moment I wouldn’t bet a beer on it just yet.

Cadillac:
Cadillac has been showing things every year for quite awhile, and next year’s no different. The new CTS is due out for 2007, and that’s next year. Expect a pre-production ’07 CTS and maybe a version of the next Escalade.

Saturn:
Saturn is due a large SUV, and I’d expect to see it during this upcoming season.

Chevrolet:
Production ’06 Impala & Monte Carlo & the restyled Malibu (restyled nose) is expected. However the big news (production-wise) will be Chevrolet’s new full size trucks.

I am purposely leaving out any concepts currently planned by the big 2 ½, both because it’s much too early to mention them, and there are quite a few surprises.

I’m also leaving out foreign makes, because, admittedly, I know squat about them. If anyone knows anything about them (leave out concepts for now) feel free to add.

Last edited by guionM; 05-24-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Re: Next Year's Auto Show Season (what to expect).

It doesn't sound like GM has much new stuff to show , though its still early I doubt we will see anything to get excited about.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 PM

mention the concepts
Old 05-24-2005, 10:12 PM

I think it's been said before, but even if you have to send it out on roller skates, get a Camaro and/or GTO concept on the floor. I think something like that, with a promise of production, would get people excited, and perhaps distract the press from GM's healthcare problems. It sort of worked for Ford - when they were in the dumps they put the GT out there. All the sudden that was what people saw on magazine covers.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:48 PM

It seems a little slow that only Chevy and Caddy will have brand new models to show off...

...of course there are the concepts....
Old 05-25-2005, 12:12 AM

GM will be weak at the "shows" this year, with the 900's being shown much more before LA or the NAIAS.

For GM supporters, the "show season" comes much quicker this year.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:34 AM

Looking forward to seeing some new concepts.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:01 AM

Doug, Get IN HERE!
Old 05-25-2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Josh452
For GM supporters, the "show season" comes much quicker this year.
Could you explain/expound on that, please.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Could you explain/expound on that, please.

Thanks.
Scott has already stated that we will see the GMT900s this fall and I think there was mention of a Texas unveiling.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:17 AM

I have to no I can't I have to ok: Possible Camaro? hehe

I would like to see a Monaro "Ute" as a Pontiac. I think it would fit with their new marketing as Pontiac: The performance with specialty rolled in brand. It would definitely be my next purchase if they brought that thing out. Love the looks, need the bed and would rather have a nice performing car I can whip on the Interstates without rolling over then a "big ole' truck".

Although, I am also excited to see the new GMT900. Could be one in my future if a "Ute" doesn't make it here in the US.

Last edited by Chrome383Z; 05-25-2005 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Cadillac:
Cadillac has been showing things every year for quite awhile, and next year’s no different. The new CTS is due out for 2007, and that’s next year. Expect a pre-production ’07 CTS and maybe a version of the next Escalade.
What about the 2008 Cadillac BRX that is rumored to be shown (maybe in concept form?)

Last edited by Z28x; 05-25-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pandamonkey
Looking forward to seeing some new concepts.
Originally Posted by Z28x
What about the 2008 Cadillac BRX that is rumored to be shown (many in concept form?)
Ain't gonna mention any concepts. I want to stick to cars that are actually coming out the year of the show. Decisions on cars on display can be changed or added to right up to the fall.

For the record, there WILL be some really good concepts this season, and I DO mean GM, as much as (maybe even more than) anyone else.

Last edited by guionM; 05-25-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:24 AM

I kind of doubt there will ever be a concept named "Camaro" unless they need to counter the hype for something from another company.

I think, just like the Vette, that there will be no concept, just a "Here it is, buy one in a few months, thanks a lot"

I would hope that GM is learning from what I believe to be some concpt fiascos. SSR and Solstice. I do credit them with keeping the production model close to the concept. However, especially with the SSR, we have seen the car so much by the time you can actually purchase one, that the hype is all but gone and the question has become, "What took so long?"

In my opinion, GM erred badly at the 2004 NAIAS. They showed the production Solstice and within sight of it was the concept Solstice. I think the purpose was to show how similar the concept and the production model was. The person that decided this should have been fired. Production models rarely look as good as concepts. I actually stood at the show in the middle of the 2 cars and looked back and forth. Concepts often don't have great big parts bin rear view mirrors. They might have tiny side mirrors. Smaller lights, bigger wheels.

For John Q Public, he looks at the production one and says, "This sucks, I want that one"

Same thing with GM showing the Solstice, Nomad, Sky, Vauxhaul. The one not available in this county looked BY FAR the best. Why show it?

By the time I can walk on to a Pontiac dealers lot and purchase a Solstice and drive it away that day(not a pre-order), it will have been 3 and a half years since it was shown at its first auto show. You think that creates hype, I think it creats public boredom. By the time, GM releases a performance version in the 2nd year, the public will have seen this car for close to 5 years. 5 years, that's time for a makeover in most cars lifetime.

Anyway, sorry for the rant.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:30 AM

Solstice was supossed to be showing the new way of doing things at GM. We are going to show how streamlined we are and how fast we can bring a car to market.

Quick Reply: Next Year's Auto Show Season (what to expect).