Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Old 08-30-2012, 05:59 PM

Re: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Wonder how much moaning there will be when the GT is standard with a V6 turbo?
I think Chevy fans will face the same fate with the 6th gen. In the next gens of both cars, I think the V8 models will be $$$$$
Old 08-31-2012, 08:30 AM

Re: Next Generation Mustang to Adopt EcoBoost for Efficiency, Ditch Solid Rear Axle

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I think Chevy fans will face the same fate with the 6th gen. In the next gens of both cars, I think the V8 models will be $$$$$
That's why they should cancel the Camaro and bring back the Firebird and Turbo Trans Am.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:42 PM

That's why they should cancel the Camaro and bring back the Firebird and Turbo Trans Am.
I remeber watching the anniversary model with the 1 gallon hair-dried bent six go 12's back at the now defunct Suffolk Dragway - the car blew a head gasket but it was still pretty exciting to watch when a 13 second car was considered pretty damn fast.

With the new CAFE regs, I don't know how this will effect the engine mix on the Mustang, but I certainly hope the N/A V8 cars will be affordable - really not interested in a turbocharged 6 or 4 and I'm certainly willing to put the cash aside for a V8 car to get the payments down from super crazy to comfortable if that is the case going forward.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I remeber watching the anniversary model with the 1 gallon hair-dried bent six go 12's back at the now defunct Suffolk Dragway - the car blew a head gasket but it was still pretty exciting to watch when a 13 second car was considered pretty damn fast.

With the new CAFE regs, I don't know how this will effect the engine mix on the Mustang, but I certainly hope the N/A V8 cars will be affordable - really not interested in a turbocharged 6 or 4 and I'm certainly willing to put the cash aside for a V8 car to get the payments down from super crazy to comfortable if that is the case going forward.
As far as base cars go, I would be more interested in the Ecoboost 4 compared to an NA V6.

Moving up the ladder is where it gets tricky because I do like NA V8s (nothing beats a crossplane V8 in sound) but the right turbo V6 can make a lot of power with a minimal investment.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
That's an odd place to put the oil filter

But bring on the turbos!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Indelibility

But bring on the turbos!
About the same location as on the 3 valve 4.6, beats the location on the 5.4 4v which is about the middle of the block on the driver's side - the GT500 motor uses a manifold that locates the liquid to liquid oil cooler about where the 4.6 3v has the regular oil filter with the 5.4's oil filter located along the backside of that manifold
Old 09-04-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
About the same location as on the 3 valve 4.6, beats the location on the 5.4 4v which is about the middle of the block on the driver's side - the GT500 motor uses a manifold that locates the liquid to liquid oil cooler about where the 4.6 3v has the regular oil filter with the 5.4's oil filter located along the backside of that manifold
Oil filter placement in my 5.4 Expedition is dreadful. Directly above the front differential/transfer case. Can't get it from the top, and only can get one hand in through the suspension to grab it. At least its protected, about the only upside.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
A Turbo 4 was an option on the 1983 and 1984 GT.
Ditto on the '79 and '80 Cobra.

Originally Posted by the pool boy
I know some people would go nuts, but as long as the performance is there, I'm not sure that I would care. My 95 GT had a no-***** 215 hp 5.0 V8, so given the option between that and the Ecoboost 6, I know which one I would take. Look at the Aussies, it seems like they actually prefer their FI I6s over V8s.
Actually, the Aussie I6 died a few years ago.

SVO was a Turbo-4 back in the day, I suppose they could call the V6 turbo that and reserve the GT trim for V8... that means the GT is not really an "affordable" performance car any longer, since it would need to be positioned higher up the price ladder.
Not sure why you're doing an obituary on an "affordable" Mustang GT. It's not going anywhere for quite awhile.

Not to spill any beans, but ask yourself: "does the 5.0 have direct injection?", "Why did Ford build in displacement on demand capability into the engine?", and finally, whats going to happen to engine output let alone performance and fuel economy if both did show up on a Mustang that was about 100-200 pounds lighter?

Ford's already shown how easy it is to get more power out of the 5.0 with the Boss.... don't you think they would easily open up a notable gap from the Ecoboost V6 to make it still relevent?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Indelibility
I believe it's a picture of the SHO Ecoboost, which is mounted sideways.