Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

News Flash - Jan 2003 issue of Automotive Industries

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 01:07 PM

News Flash - Jan 2003 issue of Automotive Industries

Pages 28 to 32
"Making Chevy Great Again"
By Ken Gross

Despite its broad product range, Chevy is sorely lacking a small-to-medium sized wagon, especially one that offers all-wheel drive, like a Subaru. And while the Impala has done a creditable job, it's simply not as large as an old Caprice. Sadly, big family sedans used to be Chevy's domain, along with a decent and highly visible (if not so profitable) business selling taxis and police cruisers.
Says Ritter: "We could sell a car that's larger than an Impala but we think Impala can cover most of that market. Mercury Marquis is more a Buick effort," he says, omitting mention of rival Ford's Crown Victoria, the sole mainstay in the cop car and hire fleet game. "But wagons..." he hesitates, "I wouldn't discount that as an opportunity we are exploring very seriously."
For Chevrolet, there's got to be opportunity here. Chrysler's Pacifica looks to be an out-of-the-box hit before they sell one unit and Dodge has a future hemi-powered sport wagon showcar this year. Where's Chevy? Perhaps the extended wheelbase, 5-door 2004 Malibu Maxx is the answer.
Plugging the Holes
Ritter is surprisingly candid aabout Chevy's lost sports coupe business. "Clearly, the one area where we have to find an answer," he says, "is the Camaro. Every day (literally, every month) we wake up, Ford's selling 10 to 12,000 Mustangs. We wake up in the hole because it's something we don't have. I would consider that our number one area that we need to find a solution to."
But Chevy better hurry, Mustang celebrates its 40th birthday in 2004, and spyshots of a retro-styled racy-looking 2005 Mustang convertible appeared as this was written. Surely, Chevrolet needs a Camaro as much as Pontiac needs a GTO? And why wouldn't the Holden platform work for both brands?

END QUOTE
Old 01-27-2003, 01:43 PM

The website for Automotive Industries is www.ai-online.com

The whole article is really a good read.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:53 PM

He actually said the word "Camaro?" Wow, I can't believe that. I couldn't find the article on the site. Do you have a direct link to the article. I'd love to read it.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:34 PM

I do not have a link to the article since I got it out of the current issue. I am not sure, but the article is probably not posted on the magazine's website yet.

And yes, Kurt Ritter actually used the word "Camaro". What I have typed in the post is taken verbatim from the magazine article.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by hotrodtodd74

And yes, Kurt Ritter actually used the word "Camaro". What I have typed in the post is taken verbatim from the magazine article.
Amazing!

Wonder if he'll have a job tomorrow. Or if he will retract his statement.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:11 PM

More excerpts from article

January 2003 Issue of Automotive Industries
"Making Chevy Great Again"
by Ken Gross

Here is some info regarding the magazine,
Volume 183, No. 1
Publication Headquarters located at
26111 Evergreen, Suite 300
Southfield, MI 48076, U.S.A.
(248)350-8199

Also in this article they mention the Bel Air. Ritter wants it in the Chevy lineup and the business case for it is still being developed.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:41 PM

Magazines have a pretty massive lead time, so that could be an old interview... Still pretty cool.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:41 PM

When you click on the latest issue on the home page it goes to December 2002. Wonder how long it takes to get that new issue up on their homepage?
Old 01-27-2003, 03:47 PM

As I said in another thread, Mr Ritter is very much into getting a Camaro, and is perhaps the biggest proponent in GM's upper management. The bad thing is he can't dictate what he wants, and it has to be cleared and presented by someone else.

Much like needing an item in the army, but having to depend on everyone else to fit it into the overall budget & get it to you. You may eventually get it, but you may get it late, and a hundred and one things you ordered afterwards will show up 1st.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:53 PM

Is Ritter the CEO? What is his title? I'm just happy he said the word "Camaro!" Everyone else is scared to. Can't hardly blame them.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:05 PM

I believe the next Mustang will be a success like today's, and that it will help bring us the next Camaro. This is just another nugget of proof!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:29 PM

That article made me feel good. Not only about the Camaro but about the Caprice too. A V8 RWD sedan should have never left Chevys lineup. The big question is what is taking GM so long. The B-Bodies left in '96, 7 years ago. The Mid-East and other parts of the world have had reengineered LS-1 powered Caprices since 2000 (basically a Holden)
Old 01-27-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by 30thZ286speed
That article made me feel good. Not only about the Camaro but about the Caprice too. A V8 RWD sedan should have never left Chevys lineup. The big question is what is taking GM so long. The B-Bodies left in '96, 7 years ago. The Mid-East and other parts of the world have had reengineered LS-1 powered Caprices since 2000 (basically a Holden)
Yup. Bring back the Camaro and the B-Body cars!!

I'm suprised to hear the word Camaro from some1, especially with the word important attatched to it. I'm glad they realize how much it needs to get back into production.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:44 PM

He didnt say we would be getting a Camaro. He just said Chevy needs a car like the deceased Camaro.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:32 PM

Ritter is surprisingly candid aabout Chevy's lost sports coupe business. "Clearly, the one area where we have to find an answer," he says, "is the Camaro.
Maybe a 30 year nap is not the answer.....

It just sounds good to hear someone from upper management use the dreaded "C" word.

Quick Reply: News Flash - Jan 2003 issue of Automotive Industries