Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Supra Spotted....

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 06:35 AM

Re: New Supra Spotted....

Originally Posted by Vash
yep dyno queens, trailer queens all means the same thing.
Jim posted a thread a while back where he stated that guy drove his car to the track. Somethign like 45min if I remember correctly. Regardless, with a super high horsepower turbo car drivability isnt much of an issue compared to something naturally asiprated since you can simply turn down the boost for 93 octane.

Even Ferns car which made well over 1000hp on race fuel was streetable.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245363
Old 12-24-2004, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vash
yep dyno queens, trailer queens all means the same thing.
That car drove the 80 miles home from the track after making low 8 second passes. Yeah, trailer queen.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Supra's are fast.... but they sure cost $$$$$ to get there....
Old 12-24-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mac16
.... single turbos now running 8s easy, these are ofcourse the ones with the big turbos drag slicks etc.....
There is no such thing as "running 8s easy". It is certainly possible, and has been done, but nothing does it "easily".
Old 12-24-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
There is no such thing as "running 8s easy". It is certainly possible, and has been done, but nothing does it "easily".
i was wondering when somebody was gonna correct that
Old 12-24-2004, 08:48 AM

Semantics?

You know what he means... It's not anything near unheard of. If it was difficult there wouldn't be so many of them running 8s all over the country.
Originally Posted by Meccadeth
I do believe that that picture is not the Supra, but a supercar that Toyota plans on releasing to compete with the Porsche Carerra GT or something like that.
It looks exactly like a Supra would be... You can follow the lines.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by kick Z tail out
Semantics?

You know what he means... It's not anything near unheard of. If it was difficult there wouldn't be so many of them running 8s all over the country.
I'm sorry - running 8s is not easy, I don't care what kind of car you have. I never said it was unheard of, and if the metric is how many of them are running 8s all over the country, then I would suggest there are far more Mustangs and F-bodies doing it than Supras, and thus it is "easy" to run 8s with a Mustang or an F-body. Silly thought - but that's where your logic would seem to lead.

Personally, I think he (and perhaps you) has no idea at all of what it takes to run 8s - regardless of the car make/model.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:20 AM

I'm sorry - running 8s is not easy, I don't care what kind of car you have. I never said it was unheard of, and if the metric is how many of them are running 8s all over the country, then I would suggest there are far more Mustangs and F-bodies doing it than Supras, .
In relative terms I would bet not. Only 12,000 turbo Supras ever made it over here. How many Mustangs are produced annually?

The point is that an 8 second Supra isn't any more difficult to build than an 8 second Mustang. It just takes money. It ain't rocket science.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Red Jim
In relative terms I would bet not. Only 12,000 turbo Supras ever made it over here. How many Mustangs are produced annually?
About that many per month - but that was not my point.

The point is that an 8 second Supra isn't any more difficult to build than an 8 second Mustang. It just takes money. It ain't rocket science.
That's your point, and I don't disagree with it. The original post I quoted stated that there are "single turbos now running 8s easy". My issue was with the "easy" part - IMO, there is nothing "easy" about running 8s for the vast majority of us.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:07 PM

heh ya i didnt mean to make it seem liek its easy to get a supra into the 8s, it ofcourse costs time and money. just now there are more and more supras doing it, when they used to be considered a car that couldnt eacheive numbers like that with people callign them "dyno queens" and such. the technology involved just keeps getting better and better and supra's times just keep dropping and dropping, but that can be said for any car as technology advances. they just deserve the same respect as and other car out there is what im trying to get at.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:20 PM

I'm sorry - running 8s is not easy, I don't care what kind of car you have. I never said it was unheard of, and if the metric is how many of them are running 8s all over the country, then I would suggest there are far more Mustangs and F-bodies doing it than Supras, and thus it is "easy" to run 8s with a Mustang or an F-body. Silly thought - but that's where your logic would seem to lead.

Personally, I think he (and perhaps you) has no idea at all of what it takes to run 8s - regardless of the car make/model.
:blah:

*Bangs head on wall*

We just got through explaining to you that the use of "easy" is not in the sense you keep trying to make it into. Don't think in such simple terms.

Ever heard a saying like:

"Ford sells 10,000 light trucks a month, easy"

It does not mean that it's very simple to sell 10,000 trucks. Oh, and I have no idea how many trucks they sell in a month, that was just an example. Please don't tell me how difficult that number would be to attain.

Last edited by kick Z tail out; 12-24-2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:34 PM

I think it's the supercar, which is rumored to have 500HP V10, or possibly V12.

In one of the videos, what transmission did he use? He didn't do any shifting, and it sounded like the car didn't do any shifting either
Old 12-24-2004, 02:49 PM

I read someplace that Toyota canned the supercar idea as well as a Supra replacement. The only saving grace was the rumor that the IS 300 replacement will get a v8 model and maybe a coupe.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:26 PM

Uncle.

Have a Merry Christmas.
Bob
Old 12-24-2004, 05:18 PM

On the subject of "ease" of 8-second quarter mile. What does it take to get the Supra into 8s? Does it retain its stock bottom end, or is it completely rebuilt?

I know they are very mod-friendly, BPU Supras are quite fast, but I was under the impression that to get some serious power, you have to rebuild the entire engine to take some good boost. How much does it cost to get it into 8s?

Quick Reply: New Supra Spotted....