Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New poll says fewer Americans are set on foreign cars.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 04:34 PM

New poll says fewer Americans are set on foreign cars.

A new Gallup poll out suggests that fewer Americans are set on buying foreign cars.

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/20...omment-1227182

Seems like good news.
Maybe the needle of perception is finally moving.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:16 PM

what do these americans perceive as "foreign" ?
Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM

The big 3 better not screw this up. Based on that article, the younger generation is getting more and more interested in buying domestic.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
what do these americans perceive as "foreign" ?

I believe for the sake of the poll, a foreign car is a foreign branded car and an American car is an American branded car.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Not according to the comments I skimmed through.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:25 PM

ohh my god stop nitpicking about whats domestic and whats not..this skewing of the point is whats wrong with this world today.

Here it is..DOMESTIC any company that is based and runs its company from the U.S.

Import..any company that is run not in this country..

and sadly yes I have to admit it..Chrysler is now part of a company that is not run on these shores.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Eventually, all domestic/import threads end in a lengthy debate about "foreign" cars that are built in America and "domestic" cars that are built overseas.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Eventually, all domestic/import threads end in a lengthy debate about "foreign" cars that are built in America and "domestic" cars that are built overseas.
Yea there was a person that would love to throw that out as thier argument..went by the letters R. N.

And not directed to you:
If you want to squint and skewer and disect it to make a point..stop..thats exactly why were in this mess..we need AMRICAN PRIDE..not 75/100 or 40/60 Pride. U.S. products, U.S. companies U.S. industries..Take a page out of Japanese policy on home made products. We would be in a lot better place right now..but someone defending a Camry built in the U.S. is American as a Canadian built Camaro..guess what IT IS NOT...Toyota is still a Japanses car and a japanese company..
If people had this kinda mentality back in colonial times we would still be under british rule.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Not according to the comments I skimmed through.
Who cares what the comments say?! Just a bunch of schmucks trying to justify their foreign car purchase.

Caps is right. A japanese car is a japanese car, no matter where it's assembled. The same holds true for a european car and an American car.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM

I am so confused. I might just go buy a Toyota for a little gamble with my life.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
Who cares what the comments say?! Just a bunch of schmucks trying to justify their foreign car purchase.

Caps is right. A japanese car is a japanese car, no matter where it's assembled. The same holds true for a european car and an American car.
I just love when people say its not as simple as that...yes! yes it is..I dont care if the Tundra is 100% domestic product if it ever gets to that..It is still built by a company that is not U.S. owned and U.S. run.
If Japan let U.S. cars come in and build cars there as we do here..you would not see anywhere near as good a car that has been out from them.
If they had to fight for sales on thier own turf from both domestic AND imported U.S. cars you would see a huge collapse of those "vaunted" cars.

But ne we let them sell them build them and proclaim them as american as a GM or Ford product...Really? Tell me how so withouth microscoping your response..simple answers and simple was of dealing with it will get us out of this problem..
Old 03-13-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Yea there was a person that would love to throw that out as their argument..went by the letters R. N.
Yeah, it's pretty funny that him and another guy that went by the initials E.B. were about the only two people around here who "got it".

I'll try and keep this as simple as possible, because I know if I don't, I'll lose most of you.

Out of the following brands, which are "American", and which are "Other"?

Mazda, Daewoo, Opel, Volvo, Saab, Fiat, Dodge.

Let the games begin!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho

Out of the following brands, which are "American", and which are "Other"?

Mazda, Daewoo, Opel, Volvo, Saab, Fiat, Dodge.

Let the games begin!
Dodge is an American brand.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
Dodge is an American brand.

Let's see. Our precious "American-named" brand, until not too long ago, was headquartered and ran in Germany. Does DaimlerChrysler ring any bells? Now, they're owned by our government, but are about to be bought out and controlled by Fiat, headquartered and controlled in Italy. Therefore, like our patriotic buddy Caps94ZODG says by his own definition, Chrysler is no longer an American company.

It's not as easy as it looks to tell "American"/"Other", is it?

Any other takers?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho

Let's see. Our precious "American-named" brand, until not too long ago, was headquartered and ran in Germany. Does DaimlerChrysler ring any bells? Now, they're owned by our government, but are about to be bought out and controlled by Fiat, headquartered and controlled in Italy. Therefore, like our patriotic buddy Caps94ZODG says by his own definition, Chrysler is no longer an American company.

It's not as easy as it looks to tell "American"/"Other", is it?

Any other takers?
I'm well aware of Dodge's ownership history. Its an American brand owned (partly) by an Italian company. Its like saying if I sold my Camaro to a Mexican its no longer an American car because a Mexican owns it. Dodge is still an American brand, so isn't Budweiser. Its just that an American's name isn't on the "title of ownership".

Last edited by super83Z; 03-13-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Quick Reply: New poll says fewer Americans are set on foreign cars.