Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The new "Mayhem Mustang"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Re: The new "Mayhem Mustang"

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Hmmm, would be interesting to see how many were built so 2011.

Sheez, talk about potential instant gratification to my questioning how well it would sell.

I'm lazy today, what was the pricing for the 2011's package?
I thought it was well known that this was already available on the 2011? I thought it was just brought up as being a 2012 option? The 2011's WERE just about the same price as base GT's. With options they were more. Again, its meant to be an alternative to the Genesis and 370z.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm lazy today, what was the pricing for the 2011's package?
According to Ford's website when I went to build my own, the V6 performance package is $1995.

If this post is correct, the package was not exactly popular. Only about 500 or so cars for 2011.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...53-post10.html

EDIT: The thread is a pretty interesting read, from a guy who actually bought one. If you want a conspiracy theory, it appears that the 'Mayhem' branding is to encourage both buyer and dealer to become more aware of the package, and what it actually contains.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 05-24-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
I thought it was well known that this was already available on the 2011? I thought it was just brought up as being a 2012 option? The 2011's WERE just about the same price as base GT's. With options they were more. Again, its meant to be an alternative to the Genesis and 370z.
Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
According to Ford's website when I went to build my own, the V6 performance package is $1995.

If this post is correct, the package was not exactly popular. Only about 500 or so cars for 2011.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...53-post10.html

EDIT: The thread is a pretty interesting read, from a guy who actually bought one. If you want a conspiracy theory, it appears that the 'Mayhem' branding is to encourage both buyer and dealer to become more aware of what the package actually is.

Well, glad to see I hit the nail pretty much on the head (for once)...

I guess I can kind of see the idea of 'branding' the package with a name might get more mileage out of it, but at that price, I'll stick to my guns and say most folks would put that $2k toward a GT rather than putting a handlign package on a V6 model.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:58 AM

I guess I can kind of see the idea of 'branding' the package with a name might get more mileage out of it, but at that price, I'll stick to my guns and say most folks would put that $2k toward a GT rather than putting a handlign package on a V6 model.
Unless you're really going for a bare-bones V6 at $22k and some change and then adding the 'Mayhem' package, I'd agree with you. You're not going to touch a GT for $24-$25k but if you want any sort of popular option package or the V6 "Premium" model you would then be looking at base GT money by adding the package.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 05-24-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM

I disagree. And I think you guys are a little off from comparing apples to oranges.

The V6 base is $22,310. GT base is $29,310.

Do you get more non powertrain features on a the base GT than on the V6? Let's see. I went over to Ford and did a model comparison between the V6 base and GT base.

You get different exhaust tips. Standard spoiler on the GT. Standard auto headlamps on GT, and you get Foglights. Interior features are exactly the same though. You get a mini-spare on GT's but not on V6s. The wheels and suspension are different but those will be upgraded with you $1995 put into the V6 performance package. As far as packages, Reverse Sensing and Security is optional on both, and neither can be had with the Comfort, Electronics, or HID packages (for which you need a premium trim). The GT does have the Brembo package available, which is sort of the GT performance package. Basically for all the bells and whistles (leather, electronics) you need a premium package. For the V6 it starts at $26,310 and for the GT $33,310... not surprisingly again a $7,000 difference.

So apples to apples (except for the engine...) that $1,995 you're just going to put toward a GT needs another $5,005 to help it out if you are just going to get a GT with roughly similar options. That really isn't pocket change. Maybe it would make sense if the GT only cost $3000 more than the V6s but it does not. And if you are looking at a V6 premium, I don't see why you would suddenly decide to get the GT base... although the powertrain is upgraded all the amenities are downgraded. You should have been looking at the V6 base if you didn't care about those things, or the GT Premium if you do.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 05-24-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I disagree. And I think you guys are a little off from comparing apples to oranges.

Do you get more non powertrain features on a the base GT than on the V6? Let's see. I went over to Ford and did a model comparison between the V6 base and GT base.

You get different exhaust tips. Standard spoiler on the GT. Standard auto headlamps on GT, and you get Foglights. Interior features are exactly the same though. You get a mini-spare on GT's but not on V6s. The wheels and suspension are different but those will be upgraded with you $1995 put into the V6 performance package. As far as packages, Reverse Sensing and Security is optional on both, and neither can be had with the Comfort, Electronics, or HID packages (for which you need a premium trim). The GT does have the Brembo package available, which is sort of the GT performance package. Basically for all the bells and whistles (leather, electronics) you need a premium package. For the V6 it starts at $26,310 and for the GT $33,310... not surprisingly again a $7,000 difference.

So apples to apples (except for the engine...) that $1,995 you're just going to put toward a GT needs another $5,005 to help it out if you are just going to get a GT with roughly similar options. That really isn't pocket change. Maybe it would make sense if the GT only cost $3000 more than the V6s but it does not. And if you are looking at a V6 premium, I don't see why you would suddenly decide to get the GT base... although the powertrain is upgraded all the amenities are downgraded. You should have been looking at the V6 base if you didn't care about those things, or the GT Premium if you do.

Fair enough. Honestly, I dont know Mustang pricing very well.

Still, at least so far, if the 500 sold number is correct for the package for 2011, then, short of it selling poorly because of it not having a 'name', this is just not something that most people want on a V6 Mustang.

But, going back to the fact that it probably costs Ford zero to offer this, everyone wins... Ford has no real extra costs, and the few people who would want this can get it.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:19 PM

Good post, HAZ Matt.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt

Good point. The problem is go to a lot and look at them. Granted it has been a few months for me but they were around 30k to 32k sticker. I paid 34k for my Gt premium with Brembos.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Good point. The problem is go to a lot and look at them. Granted it has been a few months for me but they were around 30k to 32k sticker. I paid 34k for my Gt premium with Brembos.
Ok, but I would think you could get similar if not better "deals" on a V6 Mustang.

It is an interesting package and one that has done very well in some of the reviews I have seen. Doesn't a V6 with PP run up near 100mph in the quarter and low 14's? Couple that with high 20's mpg and (shorter rear has got to hurt mileage some) and a significantly cheaper price and I can see the attraction to a package like this. I am honestly surprised it hasn't sold better and think it could be a lack of knowledge/marketing.

If any of you have seen a V6 next to a GT, I think the V6 front end, which alters the overall look of the car, looks 100% better than the GT. The V6 Mustang with the right wheels is the sleekest looking Mustang in my opinion. Still, I don't think I would ever buy a V6 Mustang, but there must be people who would.....
Old 05-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
I am honestly surprised it hasn't sold better and think it could be a lack of knowledge/marketing.
Like I said, the guy in the thread I posted was being steered away from the package (and toward a car that was sitting on the lot not coincidentally I'm sure) by the salesman who told him it was a waste of money and "nothing more than a fancy wheel package". Only when the buyer insisted he knew what it was, explained what it was and that he wanted it did the salesman help him locate a car with the package.

Perhaps the 'Mayhem' name, as silly as it is, will create some more awareness of it. I can't blame a dealer for not ordering a bunch of cars with a $2000 (not dirt cheap) option that few people are even aware of or care about though.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:32 PM

I love the v6 packages, but unfortuneately the upgrades usually price themselves out of competitive ness.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM

Very interesting. I wouldn't mind a new V6 mustang. 30mpg, high 13's in the 1/4, not very shabby.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:57 PM

They're fun cars. Ours already has over 7000 miles on it. It has a pretty good mix of driving on it, mabye 60/40 city/highway and the trip computer, which I reset after about 3K after I felt it was broken in and have left alone, says 23.1mpg. Sweet.

There's also a pretty significant jump in axle ratios, from a 2.73 to a 3.31... I wonder what the fuel economy difference woud be (when not flogging the "Mayhem" version). Would it be closer to the GT's numbers?

Last edited by Silverado C-10; 05-24-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Ok, but I would think you could get similar if not better "deals" on a V6 Mustang.

It is an interesting package and one that has done very well in some of the reviews I have seen. Doesn't a V6 with PP run up near 100mph in the quarter and low 14's? Couple that with high 20's mpg and (shorter rear has got to hurt mileage some) and a significantly cheaper price and I can see the attraction to a package like this. I am honestly surprised it hasn't sold better and think it could be a lack of knowledge/marketing.

If any of you have seen a V6 next to a GT, I think the V6 front end, which alters the overall look of the car, looks 100% better than the GT. The V6 Mustang with the right wheels is the sleekest looking Mustang in my opinion. Still, I don't think I would ever buy a V6 Mustang, but there must be people who would.....
The V6 performance package is the version of the Mustang V6 that ran 5.1 to 60 mph. I recall it also was more fun and tossable than the already excellent Mustang GT.

The $2000 price is available on low level Mustangs, so a nice version can be had for under 25 grand. 5 thousand shy of a GT.

As for deals, the only current incentive Ford has at the moment are all on remaining Mercurys. However, that does not include regional incentives that Ford may have to move vehicles they need to move in areas where sales are soft.

This brings up a point that I think all should be aware of.

Cars like Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, let alone anything with bigger V6s and especially V8sare going to be extremely scarce and perhaps even completely absent from incentives in the very near future.

CAFE and the drop in labor costs over the past few years means that car companies have no need to push these types of cars. Lower production means less CAFE impact and lower labor costs means that it's far easier to reduce production, or even temporarily halt production lines to adjust inventory and maintain demand.

Currently, Mustang sales have dropped a bit and so have Challengers. Neither are on any incentive list (outside of whatever incentives finance companies are giving just for using them). So the days of GM giving away base LS1 Camaros for just 19K (as in 2002), Ford heavily discounting Mustangs (as they did before the recession), or Chrysler giving away most of their cars to rental agencies (just try and find a Challenger on a rental lot) are all but over.

Last edited by guionM; 05-25-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 PM

I guess I can kind of see the idea of 'branding' the package with a name might get more mileage out of it.
I suppose it was a success from that standpoint, having a contest to name the V6 performance package certainly did raise some awareness.

To bad the contest caught the attention of alot of people with tragically bad taste.

Sigh... there has been scuttlebutt about dropping the Shelby name after MY2012, I bet Ford rolls out King Cobra III moniker in 2013 with a free disco ball and acrylic jeans, complete with the entire ABBA discography loaded in the car

Quick Reply: The new "Mayhem Mustang"