Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Malibu Gets Last Place in MT Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 AM

New Malibu Gets Last Place in MT Comparison

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ - 2012-2013 Midsize Sedan Comparison - Motor Trend

6th: Chevy Malibu LTZ
5th: Toyota Camry XLE
4th: Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
3rd: Ford Fusion SE
2nd: Honda Accord
1st: VW Passat SE

Chevy Malibu: Also drawing jabs was the general look of the interior, a curious, quasi-steampunk mix of football pigskin leather, cheesy faux wood, and glitzy chrome accents. "Getting into the driver's seat felt like stepping into a 19th century study," notes associate online editor Benson Kong. Associate editor Mike Febbo adds, "Already looks dated -- and this is a brand-new car."Read more: 2012-2013 Midsize Sedan Comparison - Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, and Volkswagen Passat - Motor Trend
I guess MT had to place the VW Passat 1st because it was their "Car of the Year"
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM

Re: New Malibu Gets Last Place in MT Comparison

Hmmm, I disagree with more than just the Malibu rating.

Ford Fusion literally has changed that econ-box mid size class to a nice commuter car class. It should be higher.

Also, Honda Accord 2nd? It's barely an update from the old one (which wasn't even that spectacular to begin with)
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM

"Already looks dated -- and this is a brand-new car."
Can't argue with that.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM

I've long said the new Malibu's interior is far less interesting/unique than the outgoing one. Materials may be upgraded (may?) but I don't really care for the look. I also think it was inexplicable to shorten the wheelbase so dramatically, taking away rear leg room in the process.

I don't know that it's the worst of the bunch, but I've long thought it was a disappointing redesign of a wildly successful and honestly good car.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Chevy Malibu: Also drawing jabs was the general look of the interior, a curious, quasi-steampunk mix of football pigskin leather, cheesy faux wood, and glitzy chrome accents. "Getting into the driver's seat felt like stepping into a 19th century study," notes associate online editor Benson Kong. Associate editor Mike Febbo adds, "Already looks dated -- and this is a brand-new car."
Sorry, but I can't take any criticism from a guy named "Benson Kong" seriously.

-Geoff
Old 11-08-2012, 05:02 PM

I don't understand the lack of love for the new Malibu.
It can't possibly be worse than the outgoing model (not saying that the old one is bad, but evolution brings improvement). There's no way GM would have stepped backwards.

Plus, I've sat in the new car. The level of refinement seemed higher in the new one compared to the old one.

And the exterior styling is great. It's the best looking car on that list. Especially in turbo form.

So what's truly the deal with the new Malibu?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 PM

Pffftt... Toyota just anted up more advertising money.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 PM

I'm still not quite fawning over the new Malibu's exterior design.

The last one had a really nice look (it just needed to be wider...it looked more narrow than a Cobalt), but the new one simply looks like a step sideways. The sculptured curves into the hood and fenders then again on the trunk and rear fenders looks like last edition Malibu redone as in early 50s bodywork.... or if you want an analogy, the new Malibu looks like the old one with peck and butt implants. It may have new bulges, but it's still visually the same person with the same basic look.

Inside, the dash IS a little overdone.... again, just like cars in the 50s. Unlike the outside that looks like an ok looking person person with implants, the interior certainly makes a statement. I haven't actually sat in the new Fusion yet, but judging by pitchers of the Fusion's interior, Malibu so far looks a lot better. I'll save final judgement till the at the LA Show in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 PM

I think the dated interior remarks come from the center stack, which looks like something that came out 5+ years ago. I don't understand why the center stack didn't get a modern design like what Buick is going with or even something like the Cruze. I like the exterior of the new Malibu, I think it an improvement over the out going model which I liked everything about but the rear. My only complaint with the new Malibu's exterior is the taillights look a bit dated and the LED taillights should have been standard on all trims.

I haven't checked out a Fusion yet either, I've seen some base models at some of the dealer visits I've done for work. From the pics. I've seen the interior looks a bit plain to me, but so does every other Ford interior. Exterior wise I think Ford knocked this one out of the park. I also give them 2 thumbs up for offering a 6-speed manual.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 11-09-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 AM

After looking at all five center stacks, I thought Malibu was one of the best. If I get some time I will post them all up. A couple look like they were from the 80's.

-Geoff
Old 11-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
So what's truly the deal with the new Malibu?
A lot of the press seem to be griping about the fact that it's smaller than the old car. I've seen a lot of gripes about the lack of rear leg room - even though it's less than an inch of loss. Though the car shrunk 4.5 inches in wheelbase, it didn't really lose that much interior volume. Trunk is a bit smaller though.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
A lot of the press seem to be griping about the fact that it's smaller than the old car. I've seen a lot of gripes about the lack of rear leg room - even though it's less than an inch of loss. Though the car shrunk 4.5 inches in wheelbase, it didn't really lose that much interior volume. Trunk is a bit smaller though.
I thought it actually gained in volume because of the added width. I still think it was stupid to shrink the wheelbase. The old model looks much more elegant in profile. Better overall, really, except for the odd rear end styling. The new one is sportier and has more "going on" in the bodywork, I guess, but the previous gen still looks very handsome to me.

I guess it paves the way for the Epsilon Impala, but still.

It went from longest wheelbase in the class to average / below average. I'm sure the rear seat legroom is not as drastically tight as some of the reviews are painting it, but I've not sat in the back yet.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I thought it actually gained in volume because of the added width. I still think it was stupid to shrink the wheelbase. The old model looks much more elegant in profile. Better overall, really, except for the odd rear end styling. The new one is sportier and has more "going on" in the bodywork, I guess, but the previous gen still looks very handsome to me.

I guess it paves the way for the Epsilon Impala, but still.

It went from longest wheelbase in the class to average / below average. I'm sure the rear seat legroom is not as drastically tight as some of the reviews are painting it, but I've not sat in the back yet.
Overall, its a passenger volume gain. It gains in shoulder and hip room, but loses a little front and back leg room and some front headroom.

I just double-checked the stats and I was wrong on the trunk - new one is actually marginally bigger.

I think you're right in that they wanted to differentiate vs. Impala, but it results in a relatively small mid-sizer.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM

I think the styling of the new one is WAYYY better than the old one. Sportier, more muscular, taughter looking. Like a skin pulled over a muscular frame. Can't beat the styling.