Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 12:09 PM

New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)

F-150:

Curb Weight: 5115 lbs.
Engine: 4.6L SOHC V-8
Output (hp): 231
Torque: 293
Fuel Economy: 15/19
Payload: 1,550 lbs.
Towing: 6,800 lbs.

Chevrolet Silverado:

Curb Weight: 4,548 lbs.
Engine: 4.8L OHV V-8
Output (hp): 270
Torque: 285
Fuel Economy: 16/21
Payload: 1,652 lbs.
Towing: 7,100 lbs.

Congrats to Chevy for beating the snot out of Ford's best, even though it's 4 years newer.

Bring on that Nissan piece of trash.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:13 PM

Re: New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)

Originally posted by PacerX
F-150:

Chevrolet Silverado:

Congrats to Chevy for beating the snot out of Ford's best, even though it's 4 years newer.

I think the Titan is too expensive and odd looking to appeal to your normal truck buyer...

Besided the interior and the new 3v 300HP engine....is there anything structurally new about the F-150?
Old 07-02-2003, 12:30 PM

I thought the new F-150 was new from the ground up.

These are some pretty impressive figures. Where Ford will have the leg-up is in the interior and (supposedly) driving characteristics and ride, things that aren't as easily measured.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Z28Wilson
I thought the new F-150 was new from the ground up.

These are some pretty impressive figures. Where Ford will have the leg-up is in the interior and (supposedly) driving characteristics and ride, things that aren't as easily measured.
AND... don't forget...

Since they aren't easily quantifiable they're fodder for the stunningly ignorant... automotive writers.

Except for Guion... we're whipping him into shape via www.CamaroZ28.com bootcamp.

"TELL ME YOUNG'S MODULUS FOR STEEL! DO IT NOW!"

"NAME THE MOLECULAR STRUCTURE OF ALUMINUM, DO IT NOW!"

"DROP AND GIVE ME 20... REASONS WHY HORSEPOWER VS. WEIGHT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN HORSEPOWER VS. DISPLACEMENT!"

Last edited by PacerX; 07-02-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:30 PM

The entire vehicle is new............. from the ground up.

The frame is completely boxed and is 9X stiffer than the outgoing frame. The front suspension is a double wishbone design with coil overs. The rear suspension moves the springs outside the frame, along with the shocks. This creates a much more stable rear suspension set-up......... both over broken pavement, and off-road.

How convenient of you to show only the base V8 which has not been brought up to the 3-valve technology yet. The new 3-valve 5.4L is rated at 300hp and 365lb ft of torque. However, this does not tell the whole story, as 80% of its torque output is available from 1000 rpm on. Thus, it will be a great towing engine.

Towing capacity, with the 5.4 has been increased to 9500lbs, and payload is supposed to be 3000lbs ( ).

Face it guys............. the new truck raises the bar. DUH !!!! It should............. it is all new. According to every article I have read on it, it out handles, out rides, out tows, and has a better interior than any other truck out there right now.

About the only thing it isn't, is the fastest. However, short of the Lightning and Harley, Ford has always built their truck motors to be truck motors........... not high revving high hp car motors stuck in trucks. They work good.

I am sure when GM redoes their trucks, that they will be on top again. Thats just the way it works (as it should).

I don't count the Nissan. Too ugly.......... and too new to know. Truck drivers are too loyal to a specific brand. I think Nissan will steal Toyota Tundra owners.......... but very few from the Big 3.

Of course this is just my opinion.......... I may be wrong.

Last edited by 94LightningGal; 07-02-2003 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:55 PM

Re: New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)

F-150:

Chevrolet Silverado:

PacerX, you must be having a bad day to be doing this in here.

Well, you sure didn't pick base model against base model, because the base Silverado has a Vortec V6 whereas the base F-150 has a 4.6 V8. So right off the bat, we ain't on the same bottom lines.

According to the Ford website... HERE is LINKY
The weight of the new F-150 is 4788lbs for the 6ft bed, and 4908 for the 8ft bed - BOTH less than your 5115-lb figure which is for a 4x2, 6ft bed, supercab F-150.

The payload is 1850 - not 1550, unless you go 4x4 (which we're not) in which case it is only 1700.

Towing is 7000lbs with a 3.73:1 axle which comes standard as opposed to 6800. 6500lbs with a 3.55:1 ratio standard on the auto tranny.

I ain't going to nit-pick this thing to death, it ain't worth it.
But let's be honest, how many people out there are going to compare spec sheets to the 4th digit to decide which truck they are going to buy? For the last 24 years straight, most people are choosing the... ummm.... loser by a weight of 240lbs I guess.

Like Gloria said - both good trucks, both take turns leading the pack, pick the one you like and be supportive of the other - at least they're both .
Geez.

Last edited by ProudPony; 07-02-2003 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:58 PM

say what you want...I don't think truck buyers really consider an interior a major buying point...and if they wanted one that rode "nice" Toyota would sell alot more Tundra's. As for the 300 HP V8, GM's trio of V8's are very close in performance, lighter, and get better gas mileage. Also of note, the entire engine range is due for a major revamp in the next 2 years with improvements coinciding with the C6 engine.

One last note...

Next time Chevy redoes thier trucks the Silverado will get the new interior trearment along the lines of the Equinox and Colorado..

While we are at it...when's Ford gonna redo the Ranger? The Colorado sure makes it suddenly obsolete?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:00 PM

Re: Re: New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)

Originally posted by ProudPony

Well, you sure didn't pick base model against base model, because the base Silverado has a Vortec V6 whereas the base F-150 has a 4.6 V8. So right off the bat, we ain't on the same bottom lines.

The weight of the new F-150 is 4788lbs for the 6ft bed, and 4908 for the 8ft bed - BOTH less than your 5115-lb figure which is for a 4x2, 6ft bed, supercab F-150.

The payload is 1850 - not 1550, unless you go 4x4 (which we're not) in which case it is only 1700.

Towing is 7000lbs with a 3.73:1 axle which comes standard as opposed to 6800. 6500lbs with a 3.55:1 ratio standard on the auto tranny.

But let's be honest, how many people out there are going to compare spec sheets to the 4th digit to decide which truck they are going to buy? For the last 24 years straight, most people are choosing the... ummm.... loser by a weight of 240lbs I guess.

Like Gloria said - both good trucks, both take turns leading the pack, pick the one you like and be supportive of the other - at least they're both .
Geez.
Not true...

The base F-150 in 2004 will be the V6 powered "Heritage" F-150 which is the old model they will build along side the new one...so his comparision of entry level V8's is correct.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:02 PM

"The entire vehicle is new............. from the ground up."

Which makes it all the more disappointing.

"How convenient of you to show only the base V8 which has not been brought up to the 3-valve technology yet. The new 3-valve 5.4L is rated at 300hp and 365lb ft of torque. However, this does not tell the whole story, as 80% of its torque output is available from 1000 rpm on. Thus, it will be a great towing engine."

The 6.0 liter matches the 3V 5.4 spec for spec... apart from being lighter, physically smaller, and more fuel efficient.

PS - the 4.8, 5.3 liter and 6.0 liter engines are within a few pounds of each other. Betcha that 5.4 liter is quite a bit heavier than the 4.6 - I know it's physically larger.

"Towing capacity, with the 5.4 has been increased to 9500lbs, and payload is supposed to be 3000lbs ( )."

Max trailer weight for the Chevrolet 1500HD is 10,200 lbs.

"Face it guys............. the new truck raises the bar. DUH !!!! It should............. it is all new. According to every article I have read on it, it out handles, out rides, out tows, and has a better interior than any other truck out there right now."

Ummmm... except for the Chevrolet. Compare the specs, the numbers don't lie. Ford has managed to create a heavier, less fuel efficient, slower, lower capacity truck 4 years AFTER the launch of the GM trucks.

"I am sure when GM redoes their trucks, that they will be on top again. Thats just the way it works (as it should)."

Hey, the numbers are the numbers. I didn't design the darned things. No emotion on my part at all. Spec-wise, the Chevy sends the Ford packing.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:12 PM

Re: Re: New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)

Originally posted by ProudPony

Geez.
1) Both are extended cabs.

2) Both are BASE V-8's (then end up within a few dollars of each other with equivalent content - unless you count in rebates, then the Chevy is less expensive).

3) Both have 6.5 foot beds.

4) Both are 4x2's.

Comparison was kept as close as possible.

I find the comparison valid with reference to equipment and body style selected.

Who wants a V6 in a full size anyway?

Finally, all numbers are double-checked and valid for the equipment levels of the trucks shown.

Why in the world are all you Ferd guys getting all worked up? All I did was post the specs. Go holler at Ferd if you don't like them.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:24 PM

I can verify that.... got the same drivetrain in my '02 Tahoe. It weighs more and still gets 15/22 on the mileage.

You guys are forgetting the most important factor here in the comparison though.... The Silverado is a "Chevy".
Old 07-02-2003, 02:24 PM

Since they aren't easily quantifiable they're fodder for the stunningly ignorant... automotive writers.
LMAO!

That increase in weight looks to be a very bad thing. The last thing I want in a truck is excessive weight, as it hurts towing and cargo capacity.

For me, the Nissan became a non-contender the moment that I heard it won't be available with an 8ft bed. As soon as the wussies stop buying trucks, that's going to put a serious hurt on Nissan.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:26 PM

You guys are funny............ you are the ones getting worked up over articles written by people who have driven all of the trucks back to back. I think this is great fun.

As one person mentioned........ noone buys a truck based on a spec sheet. They go out, drive it, price it, and buy the one they like. If hp was all that sold a truck, then the Silverado would have outsold the F-series for most of the last 25 years.

Please show me where the 6.0 is available in ANY normal 1/2 ton Silverado/Sierra.

It is in the 1500HD (which is a 3/4 ton with a 1/2 ton name on it) in 300hp form (same as new 5.4L). It is available in the GMC Denali/C3 in 320hp form at over $40K. And, it is available in the Silverado SS in 345hp form at over $40K. It is not available in ANY other 1/2 ton GM truck. Thus, using it as a basis for your arguement is grasping at straws a bit.

Argueing about which interior is of better quality is a little silly when you have never been in one of the vehicles you are argueing about.......... don't ya think???? (of course not.......... if real thought entered into these inane arguements, they would not happen).

The people who are writing articles about this truck drive everything (short of the brand specific web sites). Thus, their "opinion" on interior quality is a bit more valid than yours or mine.

Truck owners are some of the most biased, and brand loyal out there. If these same articles were being written about the new Silverado.......... everyone in here would be hailing the writers as Gods, and the trucks as the next coming or something. However, since the articles are about a Ford, it is wrong....... biased........ bought........ stupid......... and a conspiracy theory around every corner.

Funny at best.

Oh people these days do actually look at interior quality on a vehicle. Especially as more 1/2 ton trucks are used as personal transportation appliances than are being used to haul manure.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:36 PM

It always cracks me up when Ford fans come to a GM fan site and bitch and moan because people bad mouth their precious "blue oval"....

I have news for you... this is a PRO-GM website!

When I look to buy trucks I look at one thing... DOES IT HAVE A BOW TIE?
Old 07-02-2003, 02:43 PM

Gloria,

"You guys are funny............ you are the ones getting worked up over articles written by people who have driven all of the trucks back to back. I think this is great fun."

First, I'm not getting worked up. I have the same dispassion of any professional engineer looking at something from an empirical viewpoint as I do when I'm comparing steel specs.

"A" is better than "B" because of "X" number, "Y" number and "Z" number. No emotion at all.

Second, automotive writers are universally horribly ignorant. Yeah, OK... one or two might know what they are talking about, but THEY'RE RARE. I do this stuff for a living. Those that CAN, DO. Those that CAN'T either write about it or teach.

With dispassionate analysis, there's no question that the Chevy pounds the snot out of the Ford in the spec department. Again, the numbers don't lie.

"As one person mentioned........ noone buys a truck based on a spec sheet. They go out, drive it, price it, and buy the one they like. If hp was all that sold a truck, then the Silverado would have outsold the F-series for most of the last 25 years."

I do. Bought a car off the spec sheet - my current 2001 Camaro SS. Fastest machine I could get my hands on at the time for less than $40,000.

I buy trucks the same way.

MOST PEOPLE, methinks, buy trucks because of emotion, not reason. They like the styling (completely subjective), like the name (generally based off of rumor and innuendo), or just because they like the color.

"Please show me where the 6.0 is available in ANY normal 1/2 ton Silverado/Sierra.

It is in the 1500HD (which is a 3/4 ton with a 1/2 ton name on it) in 300hp form (same as new 5.4L). It is available in the GMC Denali/C3 in 320hp form at over $40K. And, it is available in the Silverado SS in 345hp form at over $40K. It is not available in ANY other 1/2 ton GM truck. Thus, using it as a basis for your arguement is grasping at straws a bit."

No it isn't. You brought up the 5.4 liter, I didn't. I merely pointed out that Chevy had a motor available in the 1500's that matched the 5.4 3V step for step... apart from being lighter, smaller (physically), simpler and more efficient.

"Argueing about which interior is of better quality is a little silly when you have never been in one of the vehicles you are argueing about.......... don't ya think????"

Gloria, I never mentioned the interior once. Just the specs. Hey, maybe the Ford has an interior so damned beautiful that it makes up for the sub-par specifications.

"The people who are writing articles about this truck drive everything (short of the brand specific web sites). Thus, their "opinion" on interior quality is a bit more valid than yours or mine."

WRONG. I did interior and exterior build quality FOR A LIVING for years. Some typewriter jockey, labotomy-outpatient car-rag writer with a liberal arts degree can teach me precisely NOTHING about it.

***NOTE: Guion is excepted from my commentary on automotive writers of course. He's the only reason I have any faith whatsoever in them.***

Last edited by PacerX; 07-02-2003 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: New F-150 vs. Silverado (spec vs. spec)