Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Elky?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 03:32 PM

New Elky?

Remember a few years ago when the Commodore was tauted as the next Elky? Any chance we'l see anything like that in the next ten years? I mean performance trucks are all anyone ever does anymore. Trucks like the S-10, Ranger get lowered and V8s put in them and they are now show trucks. That, and 15" lift F150s.

Anyone else think bringing back a Elky in low-volume form would be a good idea?

It'd be a lot better looking than the Colorado, that's for sure.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:54 PM

You mean like this?

I would love to have it here
Old 01-26-2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
You mean like this?

I would love to have it here
Sure, but I'm partial to my old one...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2/fd2e87f3.jpg

Last edited by bulldoguav; 01-26-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by bulldoguav
Sure, but I'm partial to my old one...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...2/fd2e87f3.jpg

I don't usually like those years, but that looks dang good.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:41 AM

who did that elky with the Impy rear??? is it in Aus? or built here on a FWD Impy?? any other pics of it? I like it
Old 01-27-2003, 04:30 PM

Re: New Elky?

Originally posted by bulldoguav
Remember a few years ago when the Commodore was tauted as the next Elky? Any chance we'l see anything like that in the next ten years? ....
As far as I can tell, the biggest thing holding it back is the 25% tarriff on all imported trucks. My understanding is that's why it wasn't imported before the Monaro/GTO.

Of all the Holdens, the UTE needed the least amount of redoing to be imported into the US (especially if imported as a pickup truck). Even the fuel tank is already relocated!

The development that went into the GTO was initially planned for more than just one vehicle. At the moment, seems the plan is to wait till GM North America get's their version of the VE before they take it up again.

Unless the Tariff's repealed very soon (it was brought up in the Bush Administration a couple of months ago), don't count on seeing El Camino return till sometime after 2006.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:21 AM

Its not a truck.... Its a car with a BED. Its on a CAR frame.. Its a freaking car. Thats not the reason. If DCX can call the PT cruser a truck than GM can make the UTE a car because it is a car.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by Evil Turbo SS
Its not a truck.... Its a car with a BED. Its on a CAR frame.. Its a freaking car. Thats not the reason. If DCX can call the PT cruser a truck than GM can make the UTE a car because it is a car.
A large percentage of SUVs are based off of cars as well, that doesn't mean they are classified as cars. Especially in a day when trucks are matching the level of luxury in some cars, (IMO) car + bed = truck.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:52 AM

For those who don't know the Ute SS

Here's the Ute SS in all of it's Aussie glory...

The Ute SS

Man... I might end up moving to Austrailia myself... just for the cars they have over there...

Know how much this costs in USD? $23,100.

And yes... that includes the 5.7L.

I'LL TAKE IT!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by Evil Turbo SS
Check into it yourself.

It's classified as a truck, and would face a 25% tarriff. The fact it's based off car components is irrelevent. As you pointed out, a PT Cruzer is a truck according to it's classification, even though it's basically a rebodied Neon. The old El Caminos were classified as trucks as well. Even GMC sold a version of it.

Also, it works out towards GM's benefit to classify the UTE as a truck. Alot less money to certify it to US standards (why it was initially planned to be here possibly before GTO was).

Just for the record, seems Mr Lutz was even hotter on importing the UTE than he was the GTO. In short, if there's a way to get around the tarrif, he'll have it found.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:26 AM

What is the 25% chaged based on (price wise)?
Old 01-28-2003, 12:03 PM

Damn! That Ute SS has 465 lbs of Torque!!!
That's it, I'm moving to Australia.
Old 01-28-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Pandamonkey
Damn! That Ute SS has 465 lbs of Torque!!!
That's it, I'm moving to Australia.
That's 465 newton-meters of torque, which is what about 360 ft/lbs? No time to find a conversion calculator right now...
Old 01-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by guionM
Check into it yourself.

It's classified as a truck, and would face a 25% tarriff.
As I understand it, the 25% tarriff only applieds to regular cab pick ups and 2-door SUVS. (That's precisely why the U.S. will never see the short-wheel-base Land Rover Freelander.) In addition, the current Ute lacks a rear bumper - an addition that would require a complete reworking of the tailgate. The Holden Ute might start at $14,000, but add the tarif, redesigned tailgate and the cost of Pacific transhipment, and you might be looking at Silverado Z71 money for a 2WD, V8 El Camino.

The easy solution would be to import the Cross8, which is an enormous crew-cab UTE concept, due for production this year. It would be equipped with AWD, unlike the current Ute, and might be a very hot product. Crew cab trucks sell, and a car with this body style would have no competion, save the underpowered Subaru Baja.

The only downside is that a few people might buy an LS1 Cross8 instead of an Avalanche or Envoy XUV. When you consider that GM literally OWNS the crossover pick up market, internal competition might not be a good thing for the bottom line.