Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

New Corvette Engine Shatters Previous OHV RPM Limits

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 12:36 PM

New Corvette Engine Shatters Previous OHV RPM Limits

Kinda O.T, but thought i'd share it here.

PONTIAC, Mich. February 9, 2005; GM engineers have achieved a feat many speculated was not possible. The new LS7 7.0-liter OHV (overhead valve) V-8 engine for the 2006 ZO6 Corvette will not only achieve 500 horsepower but will be capable of running up to 7100 rpm. The previous limit was 6600 rpm in the 6.0-liter LS2.

With this new engine GM is showing multi-valve overhead cam performance is achievable with a two-valve cam-in-block engine. For the new ZO6, higher rpm allows the driver to remain in first gear to just over 60 mph, contributes to higher top speed and improves overall vehicle performance. The LS7 is one of the first automotive OHV production engines in the industry capable of over 7000 rpm.

The new ZO6's sub four-second 0-60 mph time is achieved in part by the extended rpm range and the ability to remain in first gear past 60 mph. The over-190 top speed of the ZO6 is partially due to the speed capability of the engine. As aerodynamic drag becomes a factor at higher speeds, the capability to run higher rpm allows the transmission to be run in a lower gear generating more effective torque at the rear wheels. Also, having the ability to shift all gears at higher speeds improves elapsed times whether on a road course or drag strip.

"For a production engine to run at this high of an rpm blurs the lines even more between OHV and OHC (overhead cam) design," said Dave Muscaro, assistant chief engineer for small block engines. "We took a complete systems approach to achieve the high rpm. We have a tight valvetrain design along with some race-inspired materials for the reciprocating components like titanium intake valves and connecting rods."

OHV engines use pushrods to activate the valves via rocker arms, whereas with OHC engines the valves are typically actuated directly via finger followers. The extra mechanical movement and weight of the components of an OHV valvetrain present challenges to higher rpm. The LS7 design and use of lightweight, stiff components, along with GM's economy of scale, make higher rpm obtainable in a production OHV engine.

"The new LS7 cylinder head gave us the opportunity to design a new high-revving valvetrain," said Jim Hicks, LS7 valvetrain design engineer. "The new valvetrain had to be as stiff and light as possible to assist meeting the engine's aggressive performance targets without compromising idle quality and low emissions. Stiffness is increased with larger diameter pushrods and rocker arms optimized through extensive finite element analysis."

The LS7's 1.8:1 rocker arm ratio and titanium intake valves contribute to a lower effective mass (compared to the LS2 base Corvette engine) in spite of larger and stiffer valvetrain hardware. Idle quality and emissions performance is achieved with the help of a more aggressive cam that provides more lift and duration while still keeping overlap area to a minimum.

"We consulted with our Motorsports group on numerous design aspects of the cylinder head design, said Hicks. "We adopted some of the latest ideas that have been successful in the Nextel Cup and the American Le Mans Series including valve centerline positions, valve angles, valve sizes and rocker arm ratio."

Due to the relatively large bore and stroke (104.8 x 101.6mm) of the LS7, light weight pistons, piston pins, titanium rods and a steel crankshaft are also used to achieve extended rpm. The flat top pistons with race-ready valve reliefs are 482 grams each and use a shortened lightweight piston pin. Each forged titanium rod weighs only 464 grams which is almost 30 percent less than each rod in the LS2. The forged steel crankshaft is stronger, stiffer and designed to handle high-speed loads.

Source: Auto channel
7,100 rpms for pushrod v8....not bad. I'm sure it took a ton of work on GM's part to achieve this. Really points at how far pushrod tech has come .

Pics/parts of the 7.0L Ls7

Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM

Re: New Corvette Engine Shatters Previous OHV RPM Limits

Originally Posted by Gold_Rush

7,100 rpms for pushrod v8....not bad. I'm sure it took a ton of work on GM's part to achieve this. Really points at how far pushrod tech has come .

Sounds to me like they finally looked in the CompCams catalog.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 PM

The LS7 is going to be an amazing motor. Now that we know its a 2v pushrod design, I'm curious as to what happened to the 3v pushrod design that was circulating the web. I remember seeing the photos of it with 2 intake valves, a single exhaust valve all run by the same pushrod system in what looked to be a hack-job head.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:21 PM

Re: http://i.tnpv.us/2005/WKA200501/WKA2005013177711_pv.jpg

Why are there 4 valve reliefs on that piston instead of two
Old 02-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by uluz28
Re: http://i.tnpv.us/2005/WKA200501/WKA2005013177711_pv.jpg

Why are there 4 valve reliefs on that piston instead of two

Reversible piston. No chance of F-ups on the assembly line.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 PM

Its a hand built motor...better not have any f ups...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
Reversible piston. No chance of F-ups on the assembly line.
Cheaper to tool up for just one piston instead of two.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 PM

Didn't they have pushrod V8s in the 60's (Boss 302, DZ302 Z/28) that hit 7000 RPM?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
Didn't they have pushrod V8s in the 60's (Boss 302, DZ302 Z/28) that hit 7000 RPM?
That's what I thought too
Old 02-09-2005, 08:42 PM

Shhhhh...............
Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 PM

7000....but not 7100
Old 02-09-2005, 11:18 PM

What I dont understand though, is if this is a motor that is supposedly going to be a Race motor, why doesnt it have roller tipped rockers? I mean, im SURE there was tons of devolpment, but wouldnt they help the high rpm potential?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 AM

actually the 69 dz302 redlined at 7200rpm and most shifted at about 7400. the guy that built my last motor had a stock car with bolt ons and he said he use to launch at 6500 and shift at 7500 with a bolt on only motor.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:16 AM

Well I'm probably missing something, but those DZ302 5.0L were created from a 283 crank and a 327 block. You would EXPECT that to rev high, but to get a true 7.0L 427 to spin to 7100 seems like a much tougher job.

Sign me up for a Z06 please.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:58 AM

it was in 67&68 but in 69 they started using a large journal crank just like a 350 so that it wouldnt hurt it to rev that high. large journal crank, 5.7" rod, pistons with a different pin position so there was not as much stroke, similar to the principal of how they got the new z06 motor to where it is today. old school tech, they got a lot of tricks up their sleeves they havent brought out yet. it will be interesting what will happen over the next few years with all the rumors floating around about the f-bod. shorter stroke engines rev faster and make power quick, i would like to see a car come back out with a high revving 302 making 450hp. it can be done, they did it in the 60's with basic bolt ons that allowed these little bad boys to breathe and with technology today, it would be easy. hopefully if gm does go retro, they will do it right and bring the car back with syling ques and engine choices of yesteryear.

Quick Reply: New Corvette Engine Shatters Previous OHV RPM Limits