Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

NAIAS Question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 PM

NAIAS Question....

I was listening to the podcast from Jason and Chris, and they were saying, "if you can make it out to Detroit to see the new Camaro....", now I took ths to mean that the Camaro concept car would be exclusively at the Detroit NAIAS. I was planning on going to the one in San Diego, but does this mean it won't be there?
Old 09-03-2005, 12:12 AM

Re: NAIAS Question....

as ;ong as someone else asked first. will the new "sporty RWD coupe" be making the rounds this year?

i can't make it to detroit , but NY is only half an hour away .

any word from the man from mars???
Old 09-03-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
as ;ong as someone else asked first. will the new "sporty RWD coupe" be making the rounds this year?

i can't make it to detroit , but NY is only half an hour away .

any word from the man from mars???
NY is after Detroit so I think it would be there. I am pretty sure that San Diego is before NAIAS and LA so I don't think it will be there. But go and find Scott and steal his phone I am sure he has it as his background.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:23 AM

It would be nice if it came to Philly as well for the next car show. I am only about half hour outside of Philly.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:42 PM

There will be a concept similar to a production Camaro at Detroit. As for other shows, I'm sure they'd bring it there too. (Transferred somewhat from Z284ever's thread.)
Old 09-03-2005, 01:13 PM

BTW, are we all meeting at the Renaissance Center or what? I gotta know where to book my hotel room at.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I was listening to the podcast from Jason and Chris, and they were saying, "if you can make it out to Detroit to see the new Camaro....", now I took ths to mean that the Camaro concept car would be exclusively at the Detroit NAIAS. I was planning on going to the one in San Diego, but does this mean it won't be there?
Forget about any debuts in San Diego. Your best bet is treaking up to Los Angeles for their show. I was ther for the Cobalt and production Ford GT debut.

LA usually has a combination of concepts that came out in Detroit the year before, a few assorted new 2nd string debuts, and Asian debuts. For some assinine reason, US automakers...especially GM... think that the world's biggest car market area is intrested in nothing but "green" vehicles & economy cars. I've sent a couple of emails out trying to get better stuff for LA, but everyone has a hard-on for Detroit

Lincoln Mercury used to debut their cars at LA, but stopped since LM moved out of Irvine's PAG building back to Detroit. Chrysler still does some debuts there, but only if it's also being shown at Detroit.

Meanwhile, you go up to San Francisco's show (where all the treehuggers are) and it's often more impressive than LA's as far as seeing good concepts. I 1st saw the Magnum and 300C cars at San Francisco, not LA.

I lived in San Diego for many years. Don't expect any debuts there, and only an assortment of concepts that's been shown everywhere else & are on their last public display.

Again, spend the 2 hour drive, and head to the LA convention center. If you can spring for it, go on fundraiser/ private screening night.

Last edited by guionM; 09-04-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:52 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

well....part of the problem is that Los Angeles usually puts their autoshow right smack dab in the middle of NAIAS.

There are several thousand journalists at NAIAS....and that's not always true for LA.

That said, LA is moving the show after this year.......it will be in November as I recall. (interestingly, two shows in the 2005 Calendar year.....January and November)

The Impala/Monte Carlo/G6 coupe-convertible were debutted at Los Angeles last year....also we unveiled the Z06 in LA concurrently with NAIAS.

As to 'concept' cars......the problem is that there is usually just 'one' concept car. (the exception being the Cheyenne concept truck and the Cadillac 16....both had 'foam' models as well -- they look like a real car/truck, but the windows are deeply tinted and there's no interior or engine) With several shows going on at once, it's very difficult to schedule one concept ....also, Toronto and some European shows are held in February and March......which puts even more pressure on the schedule.........

It's usually a safe bet that the most recent concept cars will be at NAIAS, Chicago and New York.....and Dallas or Atlanta depending on the schedule. Those are some of the largest shows in terms of overall attendance.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:09 PM

Forgive my inexperience with auto shows, but are pictures allowed to be taken of the concept cars? What I'm getting at is, If I don't see the Camaro concept at NAIAS, or if I don't get to go period, will I be seeing pictures of it from ordinary people and journalists alike on the net and elsewhere? Even though it is extremely important for me as a Camaro enthusiast to see it up close, in 3 dimensions, I will at least get some joy seeing pictures of it.

And to be honest, I couldn't drive 2 hours or so to a show in San Francisco or LA unless I was certain it would be there.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
Forgive my inexperience with auto shows, but are pictures allowed to be taken of the concept cars?
You can take and post pictures of anything in public view.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:46 PM

Ok, now I'm confused, I went back to the NAIAS site, where I swear I saw dates for the show coming to San Deigo. Was I mistaken? Is it only in Detroit? I guess I was thinknig of the San Diego International Auto Show....the camaro concept probably won't be there =(.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 09-04-2005 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:27 PM

This year the show will run side by side, with next year marking the changes of the LA Show running earlier.

That said.

LA is usually designated as the "Green" show because LA is usually the show with more GREEN cars. Have you checked gas over there lately? They usually set the show.

Detroit (I'm speaking clearly from Detroit on this) is usually reserved for HiPo performance vehicles. Because well.......welcome to Detroit. Ford, Chrysler, GM......we've all let it be known that Detroit is where it's at. That's why i consistantly spend $600 on a pair of charity tickets.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
It's usually a safe bet that the most recent concept cars will be at NAIAS, Chicago and New York.....and Dallas or Atlanta depending on the schedule. Those are some of the largest shows in terms of overall attendance.

thats all i needed to hear
Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
Being that the concept cars should be at New York, as you suggest, would it be likely that they also find their way to the Philly auto show?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Being that the concept cars should be at New York, as you suggest, would it be likely that they also find their way to the Philly auto show?
i doubt it. i went to Philly and NY one year and i noticed there were a few cars missing from Philly. i'd just make the trek to NY. it's not that far for you(about 2 hours or so on the right roads )

Quick Reply: NAIAS Question....