Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

My take on the Zeta cancellation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:13 PM

My take on the Zeta cancellation

I have been getting bits and pieces about "Zeta" being cancelled for awhile. I also have been getting bits about Zeta being on for Australia. There have been also other bits of information I've been getting in all this. Most of it conflicting, most all of it from sources who have been accurate in the past.

I finally got some answers in the form of some cryptic advice. I was told in effect that there would be alot of news coming out of GM that would feed pessimism about GM & their future vehicle lines, especially the RWD vehicles based on "Zeta".

I was advised not to get worked up about anything I read or heard in the near future, and let things fall into place before blasting away. Things weren't nearly as bad as it's going to seem for certain cars I'd be intrested in. I was also asked to pass on that unless something is actually announced as cancelled, don't believe everything. I posted all this over the past number of weeks.

Even though "Zeta" is cancelled for North America, that doesn't mean planned particular models are doomed. Lutz (GM's biggest single leak source) pretty much gave away the plan it seems in his blog. "Nostalgia baked in", & "that does not mean we've canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether" isn't Lutz being misleading or cagey.

Expect more turns as the months continue.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 PM

Re: My take on the Zeta cancellation

Yes - he's saying the Camaro will return. He doesn't say when, and probably doesn't know.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Yes - he's saying the Camaro will return. He doesn't say when, and probably doesn't know.
Originally Posted by guionM
I also said if GM doesn't have a Mustang competitor by 2008 model year, this means GM's probally going to collaspe.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:46 PM

Cryptic guesses are not sheetmetal and aluminum with LSx engines residing between framerails in MY08.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM

Flame me if you will but people bashed the GTO for being built in Australia. Imagine if the Camaro is the same?

Flame me twice but I'd rather see the jobs kept here than over there. If that means doing away with the Camaro then so be. I'm pro-domestic manufacturing it could be sick but damn....what will America stand for in 10 years? Anything at all?

Last edited by Josh452; 03-21-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Your right,I despise the new GTO because its not even AMERICAN!
Screw the Camaro and GTO if they'll be built in Australlia.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by V8 Slayer
WTF on hating on the Camaro being built in Australia. The majority of us here are 4th gen owners. Our cars were built in Quebec, Canada! Not the USA. It didn't matter from 1993-2002 so why does it matter now? Canada's OK because it's nearby? Well then how about Mexico, is that ok? Something tells me that's not.

The GTO by all accounts is a big step up from the normal quality at GM. If going to Australia is what GM has to do to build us a good car, so be it.

Your 2001 Camaro V6 wasn't built in the USA either buddy. Do you despise that car?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:19 PM

I'm just wondering why everyone is taking Lutz's statement "nostalgia baked in" as "we're working on a camaro" and running with it. I could be wrong, but it could just as easily be taken to be another GTO, a Nomad, a Monte Carlo, or any other nameplate from GM's past.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:23 PM

I really, really, really hope you are being sarcastic. The build quality of the '04 GTO versus the build quality of the '02 Fbody is very easy to compare.
The GTO wins hands down in any catergory you care to name ( well, it was a little bland looking but I didn't mind that). The seats are very comfortable. The car was quiet at highway speeds. The interior was tasteful and the backseats useful. The only major flaw I saw was a distinct lack of trunk room.
Personally, if I was going to buy a GTO I would buy it before it became a product of North America, simply because I believe the care that went into the construction would suffer. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but the American versus all other cars is old and not even a valid argument. Newsflash, there are NO MORE 100% American cars being built.

Tim
Proud owner of a Silver 2002 Z28, bone stock.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:24 PM

One day, all snowballs wil melt.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:31 PM

Yeah?

Well guess what...I dont have a 4th gen Camaro,My 1991 Pontiac Firebird was built in California
Old 03-21-2005, 08:35 PM

How similar are the hardpoints in Zeta and Sigma? If they are similar, GTO could be moved to Sigma without much delay. It could share a plant with a Buick Sigma Sedan, and and maybe a few unnamed products.

The Camaro seems to be special in that we know it is going to be made...and was never really intended for Zeta...yet no one knows for sure what platform it is on. Sigma? Beta? Kappa?

GM plans on the Camaro being 100,000 units plus per year. There is no way Holden can absorb that short of opening a new plant. If you are going to open a new plant...might as well just build it here at one of the plants with excess capacity. My take is Camaro will either be built in Mexico, or Wilmington.

Last edited by formula79; 03-21-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Yeah?

Well guess what...I dont have a 4th gen Camaro,My 1991 Pontiac Firebird was built in California
Oh well good for you, perhaps you should continue buying 14 year old cars forever so you won't have to bother with those pesky foreigners! Assuming "V8 Slayer" means you have a V6....you're calling the new 400 hp GTO bad when you drive a 1991 V6 Firebird? Yeah, I'm sure all the GTO owners will be crying their eyes out as you watch their taillights fade.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:46 PM

The GTO is dead after 06.......thats the last one......We have several reliable people on the gto forum with connections inside GM and they all say 06 is the last year. The 07 and beyond were to be built on zeta and made here.

As far as quality of the current Australian GTO.........It is perfect......I have had mine a year now and there are no problems at all, no rattle, no creaks, smooth power...I have had it up as high as 135mph and you would think your only doing about 90.....its smooth. The interior is very very nice, great quality. Today is a sad day for all, hopefully you guys do get a new camaro but who really knows right now.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:46 PM

Holden will continue to build on the Zeta and th enew GTo will be another rebadged Monaro??

Considering the reports state Zeta N/A is dead and the funding has been diverted elsewhere to their truck line... Meaning what resources that was being spent on RWD platforms are now shifted totally somewhere else. If this is correct, then the Aussie Zeta will provide something RWD, based off the Monaro, just like current GTO?? I do not see GM killig N/A Zeta then spending money on another RWD platform right now.. They will have to "borrow" off the Aus..Zeta from my wild guess.

Quick Reply: My take on the Zeta cancellation