Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

My Review: 2009 Chevy Malibu LS/LT vs. 2010 Ford Fusion SE

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:25 PM

My Review: 2009 Chevy Malibu LS/LT vs. 2010 Ford Fusion SE

I'm in the market for a mid-size commuter car, so I decided to check out the 2009 Malibu and the new 2010 Fusion.

I drove the Malibu first, an LS model. It has a comfortable yet solid ride. Can't comment on the handling because I was driving it around quiet suburban back roads, so I couldn't put the car through it's paces. The engine is the LE5 2.4L Ecotec 4-cylinder with VVT, hooked up to a 4-speed automatic. 169 HP, 162 lb./ft. of torque. The engine sounds a little harsh under acceleration, but it's barely noticeable. Acceleration is adequate. Fuel economy is rated at 22 city/30 highway.

The interior looks great. They really put a lot of effort into it. The power seats were comfortable. Gauges were easy to read. There appeared to be plenty of legroom in the back seat for an adult. The trunk was pretty big. Overall fit and finish were excellent. The Malibu appears to be a good commuter car with plenty of trunk/interior space for running errands, hauling groceries, etc.

The 2010 Fusion SE is a great-looking car. It blows the Malibu out of the water, appearance-wise. It's muscular and sporty-looking. Ford made a huge improvement over the outgoing model.

The 2010 Fusion SE has a 2.5L Duratec 4-cylinder engine putting out 175 HP and 172 lb./ft. of torque. It's hooked up to a 6-speed automatic transmission (a 6-speed manual is also available). This engine feels smoother than the Malibu's. Judging by the seat of my pants, the Fusion feels a little quicker. I'm sure having a little more power and a 6-speed transmission had something to do with that. Ford is claiming a fuel economy of 23 city and 34 highway. Again, I didn't push the car handling-wise, but the suspension felt firmer, sportier.

The interior was less luxurious than the Malibu, but it was attractive in it's own right. Fit and finish were good. The seats were on par with the Malibu's. The back seat wasn't quite as large as the Malibu's, but there was still enough legroom for an adult.

Overall, the Fusion seemed every bit as capable a commuter car as the Malibu, in a better-looking, sportier package.

I got preliminary prices on both the Malibu LS and LT trim levels. The LS had an MSRP of $22,425. The LT had an MSRP of $23,300. GM is offering $2750 in rebates, or 0% financing. With the rebates, the LS is $19K and change, and the LT is $20K and change. I could probably negotiate and get lower prices.

The Fusion SE had an MSRP of $23,040. Ford is offering a $1000 rebate on the car (the 2009 model has a whopping $3500 rebate to help move them out the door). I asked the salesman how much he could work on the price. He offered me $21,500. It's a little more than I was looking to spend.

I have not mentioned my biggest weapon, though. I work for a shipping company, and we are eligible for supplier discounts with GM, Ford, and Chrysler. So these prices should drop considerably, assuming the dealers honor the discount.

I really like the Fusion. I'm a Chevy guy at heart, but the Fusion just seems to be a better car. The Malibu is a great car, though, and GM did a great job with it. Hopefully, I'll have a new car by early next week.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm curious as to why you didn't try out the 2.4L Malibu LT with the optional A6. Don't you think that would be more comparible trim-wise with the Fusion SE?

I will agree with you about the Fusion's muscular looks, especially on the front end.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM

I'd have to disagree...the Malibu looks so much better than the Fusion!
Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'm curious as to why you didn't try out the 2.4L Malibu LT with the optional A6. Don't you think that would be more comparible trim-wise with the Fusion SE?

I will agree with you about the Fusion's muscular looks, especially on the front end.
I'm looking for a base model car. The Ford dealer I went to didn't have any base-model Fusions, only a couple SE's and two hybrids. The Malibu LT I looked at didn't have the A6.

The Fusion seems to have gotten some styling cues from the Interceptor concept from a couple years ago.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by SRFCTY
I'd have to disagree...the Malibu looks so much better than the Fusion!
To each his own. I'm not saying the Malibu's bad-looking - quite the opposite. I just think the Fusion looks better.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Will the malibu eventually be all A6?

The prices sure have gone up! When the Aura came out, a standard Aura with the 3.5L V6 was $19,995! I cant believe a 4cyl malibu LS costs more then that and with the 4/A4
Old 04-22-2009, 08:27 PM

you should retest the malibu with the A6 as i've heard it makes a big difference.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 PM

I would buy a car from a company that is going to be around long enough to warranty any issues that may come up. That should be on the forefront of your new car purchase list.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 PM

I'm curious to hear hw you like the Malibu with the 6 speed compared to 4 speed. 6 speed is a $695 option on the Malibu LT. It will be standard come 2010.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:12 PM

6 speed is much better.

Malibu had the LEAST amount of warranty repairs of ANY 2008 car made.
Better warranty
Total confidence protection of vehicle value, job loss (better than any other competitor) and onstar.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:46 PM

I went back to the Ford dealer to find out how much the supplier discount would save me. Turns out it's not much different from the offer the salesman gave me. It came out to $21,375, including the $1000 rebate.

The Malibu LS, with supplier pricing and rebates applied, comes out to $18,800.

I asked my parents for advice, as I've never bought a new car before. I've worked in dealerships before, and know how the sales process essentially works. They told me to offer the dealer a lower amount, as they will probably want to get the car off the lot (it's a large volume dealer). My only problem with this is that the price the salesman gave me is already below invoice. I don't think they're going to let me rob them blind just to get rid of a car.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:57 PM

You could see if they get any I4/A6 combo Malibu's in and any other Fusions in. Or offer the lower amount. The worst he could do is say no. Pick the car you want. I am just not sure I would pick a brand new car in its first year model. That is my only real advise to give.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
I don't think they're going to let me rob them blind just to get rid of a car.
That's their decision, your job is to get the car for the lowest price, their job is to sell you the car for the highest price. reality will be somewhere inbetween.

I'd say go back and drive a 6-speed Malibu, it is already a lower price than the fusion, why not? At the end of the day, its you're money, get the car you like better. You don't want to get a car that you don't like driving/looking at etc...
Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 PM

I agree. I would definitely look at the Malibu with the six speed before you make any decisions and see what you can price the LT with that option at. It is rated at 22/33 mpg with the I4/A6 which is sadly less than the Fusion, but a little better than the A4 (which is 22/30).
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 PM

I did the math a few days ago and realized with the current offers plus my GM card points I could get a base Malibu for $13,498 from one of my local dealers brand new... regular financing or cash.

My BMW's lease isn't up for 6 more months but that's awfully tempting.

Quick Reply: My Review: 2009 Chevy Malibu LS/LT vs. 2010 Ford Fusion SE