Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

My new found respect for Lightnings (yep, I got beat THAT badly!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 03:58 PM

Unhappy My new found respect for Lightnings (yep, I got beat THAT badly!)

For those of you not from SoCal, the "Grapevine" is a roughly 25-30 mile streach of winding 8 lanes of I5 going steeply up, then winding throughout, then droping down the mountains north of LA county. It's usually very lightly patrolled and it's a good place to sort out powerful great handling cars and those that pretend to be.

Last night just north of the 'Vine, I blew past a Lightning while gaining momentum for the climb +/- 100. The Lightning instantly caught me, and stayed with me all the way up , at times passing me in the other lane.

Throughout the run, that truck was pretty amazing keeping up w/me on the curves. Then came an empty straightaway & it became obvious he was playing with me. It was as if he hit afterburners or something, and he just smoked me! Even dropping down to 4th and gunning it, it was still no match. Figured I'd catch him on the turns, but he accelerated out of them every bit as quickly as I did. By the time I got to Castalc, CA, he was long gone & I backed down (CHP patrol territory).

This was the worse I've ever got spanked in a "Freeway Grand Prix", and even though I know better, it's still hard to swallow that a truck beat me that badly. The Z06 I ran last year to Palm Springs couldn't pull away from me like that thing did!

This probally belongs in the lounge, but since the Lightning recently set a world record as the fastest pickup truck, I wanted to let all know from personal experience, at least from the 80-130 mph range, up mountains, and in modest uneven corners LT1 F-bodiess are shortwork, and I don't imagine LS1s (even the post 2000 cars) will fare much better against these things.

Kind of like those old Roadrunner vs Wyle E. Coyote cartoons. It was that bad.

CHP Trivia:
1. They were the 1st Law enforcement agency to come out for repealing the 55 mph speed limit.
2. They perform security for the Governer and officials. Yes, Arnold's security will be a detachment from the California Highway Patrol.
3. The CHP were one of the last Highway Patrol agencies to use radar against speeding cars, and still uses it primarily in long flat streaches, away from urban areas.
4. Normally don't stop you for driving 80 mph or less unless you are driving erratically, too fast for conditions, or the posted speed is 55 mph. But you will get hammered speeding through construction zones, bridges (ie: the Oakland Bay Bridge), or down a carpool lane with only one person in the car.
5. Now drive plenty of hard-to-spot white Camaro LS1 (no Z28 badges) with even harder to spot ultra thin light rack.
6. Has a history of evaluating unconventional cars for patrol duty: It evaluated & ran Camaro Z28s in the late 70s, evaluated and was the 1st to run Mustang coupes w/GT engine & suspension in 1982 (the 1st special service Mustang), and evaluated at least 1 turbocharged Volvo sedan in the late 90s, which they took a pass on. They also rejected Impalas & Tahoe police vehicles
Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 PM

well you can always blame driver skill on the twisties part..
Old 11-03-2003, 04:27 PM

How ironic. Saturday night I also got pooped upon by a Lightening. Only in a straight line, though. No turns for the El Camino, thank you.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:27 PM

You should've taken him to 150 mph, then his aerodynamic brick would've stop accelerating; if you wanted to beat him.

Anyways, the CHP is probably where the state gets all their money. F'n bastards know every rule in the book! They've recently replaced their motorcycle fleet with newer Yamahas I believe; they still keep field testing Volvo's. I remember they were gonna replace a fleet of Crown Vic's with Volvo S80's.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:30 PM

Re: My new found respect for Lightnings (yep, I got beat THAT badly!)

Originally posted by guionM

CHP Trivia:
1. They were the 1st Law enforcement agency to come out for repealing the 55 mph speed limit.
2. They perform security for the Governer and officials. Yes, Arnold's security will be a detachment from the California Highway Patrol.
3. The CHP were one of the last Highway Patrol agencies to use radar against speeding cars, and still uses it primarily in long flat streaches, away from urban areas.
4. Normally don't stop you for driving 80 mph or less unless you are driving erratically, too fast for conditions, or the posted speed is 55 mph. But you will get hammered speeding through construction zones, bridges (ie: the Oakland Bay Bridge), or down a carpool lane with only one person in the car.
5. Now drive plenty of hard-to-spot white Camaro LS1 (no Z28 badges) with even harder to spot ultra thin light rack.
6. Has a history of evaluating unconventional cars for patrol duty: It evaluated & ran Camaro Z28s in the late 70s, evaluated and was the 1st to run Mustang coupes w/GT engine & suspension in 1982 (the 1st special service Mustang), and evaluated at least 1 turbocharged Volvo sedan in the late 90s, which they took a pass on. They also rejected Impalas & Tahoe police vehicles
and how could you forget the most important fact..... They had Ponch on their side
Old 11-03-2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by Demon_Cleaner
You should've taken him to 150 mph, then his aerodynamic brick would've stop accelerating; if you wanted to beat him.

Anyways, the CHP is probably where the state gets all their money. F'n bastards know every rule in the book! They've recently replaced their motorcycle fleet with newer Yamahas I believe; they still keep field testing Volvo's. I remember they were gonna replace a fleet of Crown Vic's with Volvo S80's.
You would have to be on crack to run 150 through the Grapevine. If I had passed him before I got to the I5 split north of there, I might have, but not winding through the 'vine. My life insurence doesn't cover suicide.

As for the CHP bikes, you bring up another cool thing about California's finest. Those aren't Yamahas they're running..... Those are BMW'S!!!!

Go over to the 110 North comming out of San Pedro, and get off at the Carson Street exit just before the 405. They have a vehicle sales lot and garage facility on the west side of the highway by the Resturant Depot. They have a few dropped ones for sale.

They started getting them in 2000. It was pretty funny, some stations were "inventorying" their perfectly good, under mandated mileage, Yamahas just to get ahold of the new Beemers.

Last edited by guionM; 11-03-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:52 PM

[i] They've recently replaced their motorcycle fleet with newer Yamahas I believe; they still keep field testing Volvo's. I remember they were gonna replace a fleet of Crown Vic's with Volvo S80's. [/B]
I can't believe that California (or anyone) is using import bikes and cars for their patrol and government vehicles. This astonishes me! I saw a Frontier crew cab being used as a beach patrol and thought that was bad. My god, where's the American machines?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:06 PM

GuionM this is really coincidental but on Saturday a Lightning was messing around with me on I-10. At first I didn't bite but then traffic cleared up and he kept at it. I was playing catchup (Because he took off before I downshifted) but once we exited and I was on the feeder road (we both exited) it was no contest. I pulled him in third gear from BEHIND by two car lengths and took him till redline. I was about to shift but he let off and we cruised to the signal. A very nice guy, gave me the thumbs up and everything but I couldn't tell the year... When I let off I was two cars AHEAD of him... but yeah those damn trucks are plenty quick... I didn't even realize it was an L till I heard his exhaust right in my ears.
(Can't complain cause he heard what my exhaust sounded like as well)
Old 11-03-2003, 05:10 PM

Out here in the wilds of Shraya, Ford Performance Vehicles builds a pick up (ute) called the Pursuit. It's Falcon-based, rear drive, low-ride and has 290kW (390 horse).
We don't get the lightning, but the Pursuit's a bit of a weapon, especially in the twisties.
It runs 0-100km/h in 6.2, then the quarter in 14.4@164.5km/h
Ford also builds a 260kW V8 called the XR8, which runs (in auto form) 6.8 and 14.8, and a hugely tune-able turbo in-line six with 240kW (though nobody believes them - it dynos at more than the XR8) that runs almost exactly the same numbers.

its major rival is from Holden's performance arm, HSV.
Holden builds its Ute (which it can easily build in LHD for you guys, but your unions won't allow it) in SS spec, with the 245kW version of the Gen III. It's a fabulous looking car and would sell its little breasticles off in the States. Cheap, too, at A$40,000.

The auto version of it runs (forgive the metrics) 6.7 and 14.7 @ 160.6. The manual's faster, but i've got no numbers to hand.

But HSV's 275kW Maloo is the king of the GM ute stuff here, running 6.3 and 14.4@160.6.

And i wish we had your police. In Victoria, the police will nail you for 113km/h in a 110 zone, there are six permanent speed cameras between Melbourne and Geelong (less than 100km), there are about to be average speed cameras on the run from Melbourne to Albury, on the Vic/NSW border and, if you are caught at 30km/h over the limit, you automatically lose your licence for a month.

There's a bridge over the river in Melb with 9 speed cameras on it, all set to go off with a 3km/h tolerance. One tunnel has 9 cameras going each direction.
Sydney's no better, but the tolerance is set slightly higher.
Only the Northern Territory, of Croc Dundee fame, has sanity.
Its open highways have no speed limits whatsover. My personal record up there is an indicated 322 km/h in a 911 turbo...

Bastards
Old 11-03-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by 1990 Turbo Grand Prix
I can't believe that California (or anyone) is using import bikes and cars for their patrol and government vehicles. This astonishes me! I saw a Frontier crew cab being used as a beach patrol and thought that was bad. My god, where's the American machines?
Harley Davidson is the only US made bike, and it's completely unsuited for reliable high speed running (the all-new Porsche designed Harley engines may be different, but I don't know enough about them to say just yet).

We run pretty fast out here. If someone's going the opposite way at 90 mph, they'll have to turn around & get up to at least 110-120 very quickly to catch the person in a reasonable time. This most certainly isn't Harley territory.

They are only using the right tool for the job. If someone else makes the tool, that's what they'll use.

If it makes you feel any better, San Francisco still uses police Harleys.

(BTW: For anyone that hasn't heard yet, Indian went under again. )

Last edited by guionM; 11-03-2003 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:41 PM

The climb up the grapevine is a great equalizer. Even in my 4.8L Tahoe I've blown past many-a-pretender on that grade.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Just consider that the Lightning could've been well modified, you never know...especially with the stock supercharger setup. It's pretty amazing what a cheap smaller pulley can do.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:06 PM

Never heard you say and it isn't in your sig so here it goes, what kinda car do you have guionM? any mods?
Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 PM

I spent some good seat time in a Lightning over the summer, and I too was really impressed with the truck. The one I drove was either a 99 or 00 and completely stock. From a stop it was easily right on par with my T/A. From a roll it was right there with it again, but the aerodynamics really come into play there. I'd imagine that the one you encountered likely had a pulley or some other mods.

If I was in the market for a hi-po truck, the L would be my top choice. It's my favorite SVT vehicle.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by guionM
They are only using the right tool for the job. If someone else makes the tool, that's what they'll use.
Exactly!

I'm sure they don't have anything against American made bikes, it's just that they are not necessarily suitable for everything.

TS

Quick Reply: My new found respect for Lightnings (yep, I got beat THAT badly!)