Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

My impressions on the Rx-8

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 11:36 AM

My impressions on the Rx-8

I already posted this in the lounge, but thought id post it here so you guys could read.

I was at the dealership today because they have a body shop which I took my Z to be repaired in. There were a few problems I had with the car so I took it back to be touched up. While waiting for my dad to come pick me up, I walked over to Mazda to look at the 6's and when I glanced into the showroom I saw the nose of the 8.

I have to say, I'm fairly impressed with that car. It looks WAAAAAAAAAAY better in person than it does in the magazines and sales brochure. When I tried to show my dad a pick of the car on the way home, the car just looked ugly again. Trust me, pictures do the car no justice at all.

The dimensions were small, a lot smaller than a F-body. The size was like somewhere inbetween a Rx-7 and a Supra I guess... if that makes any sense. The car is low to the ground and has a very slick appearnce. You can sort of see the old FD lines in it, but it is definately a evolutionary design.

The exterior was very sharp, the headlights and tail lights had a very slick, sophisticated design to them. The black slit on teh side, behind the front wheels isnt very pronounced at all. In pictures it looks as if it goes in a bit, but in reality its just a piece of trim. The front in which looks "fishy" in pictures doesnt really look fishy in real life. Pictures make the grill look like the car is puckering... as if its going to kiss something. In reality the nose doesnt quite stick out that far at all. The wheels also look very nice.

The interior was simply awsome. The seats were slick, the dash slick, the radio controls slick, and even the parking brake had a neat little touch to the handle. The shifter is very short, like on a 350Z and looked like it was in a good position. Now standing from teh outside, it didnt look like there was much room in the back, but when i looked into the windows I was impressed. There was plenty seat room in teh back for 2 adults.

Overall I would say I was very impressed with the car. I liked the overall impression a lot better than the 350Z. The dealer had $33,000 on the tag. If I had the money, I think I would defiantely choose this car over a 350Z and possibly a GTO (we'll see when the GTO comes out). The car just has a slick, sophsiticated persona about it. If only it had more torque... but I'm sure I could live with a rotary motor.

I left thinking, I would definately trade a F-body in for one of these. The car is just on another level. F-bodies are more rough around the edges and "young." In my opinion this car was slick and sophisticated. When GM builds its new cars, they really need to step quality up a few notches if they plan on competing with these new cars from Japan.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Re: My impressions on the Rx-8

Originally posted by bigsteve7
I already posted this in the lounge, but thought id post it here so you guys could read.

I was at the dealership today because they have a body shop which I took my Z to be repaired in. There were a few problems I had with the car so I took it back to be touched up. While waiting for my dad to come pick me up, I walked over to Mazda to look at the 6's and when I glanced into the showroom I saw the nose of the 8.

I have to say, I'm fairly impressed with that car. It looks WAAAAAAAAAAY better in person than it does in the magazines and sales brochure. When I tried to show my dad a pick of the car on the way home, the car just looked ugly again. Trust me, pictures do the car no justice at all.

The dimensions were small, a lot smaller than a F-body. The size was like somewhere inbetween a Rx-7 and a Supra I guess... if that makes any sense. The car is low to the ground and has a very slick appearnce. You can sort of see the old FD lines in it, but it is definately a evolutionary design.

The exterior was very sharp, the headlights and tail lights had a very slick, sophisticated design to them. The black slit on teh side, behind the front wheels isnt very pronounced at all. In pictures it looks as if it goes in a bit, but in reality its just a piece of trim. The front in which looks "fishy" in pictures doesnt really look fishy in real life. Pictures make the grill look like the car is puckering... as if its going to kiss something. In reality the nose doesnt quite stick out that far at all. The wheels also look very nice.

The interior was simply awsome. The seats were slick, the dash slick, the radio controls slick, and even the parking brake had a neat little touch to the handle. The shifter is very short, like on a 350Z and looked like it was in a good position. Now standing from teh outside, it didnt look like there was much room in the back, but when i looked into the windows I was impressed. There was plenty seat room in teh back for 2 adults.

Overall I would say I was very impressed with the car. I liked the overall impression a lot better than the 350Z. The dealer had $33,000 on the tag. If I had the money, I think I would defiantely choose this car over a 350Z and possibly a GTO (we'll see when the GTO comes out). The car just has a slick, sophsiticated persona about it. If only it had more torque... but I'm sure I could live with a rotary motor.

I left thinking, I would definately trade a F-body in for one of these. The car is just on another level. F-bodies are more rough around the edges and "young." In my opinion this car was slick and sophisticated. When GM builds its new cars, they really need to step quality up a few notches if they plan on competing with these new cars from Japan.
I have heard the car is pretty gutless and it's strong suit is handling...

Either way the RX8 really isn't on my radar screen, so I haven;t researched it. I like teh 350Z, but it is overpriced. If the GTO can come in at $33K it will easily give you the best performance/quality for your money.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 AM

I just can't get past the quirky roofline and B/C pillar area of the RX-8...
Old 07-29-2003, 11:58 AM

Its definately going to be cool seeing those things on the road
Old 07-29-2003, 01:08 PM

Yeah, the RX-8 does nothing for me. I wouldn't even consider it. The car looks so odd with the strange profile and rear-end. Those extra doors break up the lines of the car and make it look worse.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:29 PM

Needs more HP, especially with those relatively low mpg numbers..

I'm sure it would be fun to drive though.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:32 PM
cmc

Already saw one on the road in Austin.

http://www.machined.net/modules/gall...bum02/dscn1409
Old 07-29-2003, 01:36 PM

There's a thread over at ls1.com's et al forum that said the RX-8 spun the dyno to the tune of 173 HP!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 01:37 PM

Guess I'll wait to see it on the street before passing judgement. I haven't been impressed with the pictures either.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM

I've seen 'em on the street. FOOOOGGLLLLYYY!
Old 07-29-2003, 01:53 PM

I agree that it definately needs more power. If Mazda had like the same package with a +250hp V6 I think theyd have much more of a winner on their hands. The overall package was still impressive though, espeically when you consider the cars base price of $27k.

Compared to what else is on the market for that price right now and is relatively sporty (350Z, Mach 1, Evo) Id say that this car definately held its ground. Each one of those cars has its advantage and disadvantages may they be inteior, power etc. With styling being subjective, this car just lacks power.

Hopefully the GTO will up the notch a bit when it comes out and redefine how much automobile $30k shoudl get you.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:16 AM

actually, reading up, the 200 hp ver is the auto.. the manual is 247 hp with a 9000 rpm redline.

ah, now it sounds better.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by Magnum Force
There's a thread over at ls1.com's et al forum that said the RX-8 spun the dyno to the tune of 173 HP!!!
If that is the case then there is something wrong, assuming it's not an auto.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:43 AM

I haven't seen one on the street...but I had a chance to check out the RX8 at the Chicago Auto Show.

I agree with bigsteve...it is one slick piece with an awesome interior.

I know I'm gonna catch some flak here....but the production RX8, impressed me more than the similarly styled Chevy SS concept.
Old 07-30-2003, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Ken S
actually, reading up, the 200 hp ver is the auto.. the manual is 247 hp with a 9000 rpm redline.

ah, now it sounds better.
No, a rotary at 5k rpm sounds terrible, I cant imagine what it sounds like at 9k lol.

Quick Reply: My impressions on the Rx-8