Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang Summary...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 11:48 PM

thats because they want to much for them,i saw an ad this week and a v6 one they want a little over $30000 for it.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by 92RS shearn
Whats even more sad is that GM sees this and gives them more reason not to rush into making a 5th gen if ever.
If that's how they see it...they'd better wake up, or be left for dead.

There is that thing about the couple of hundred thousand Mustangs per year. Also, everyone and their brother (Nissan, Infiniti, etc.) seems to see potential in the segment GM has just vacated.

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-20-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:23 AM

You are right, there are alot of F-cars still at dealers right now.

Four months after production ended, with no replacement in sight and up to $3,000 in incentives....it's actually sort of sad that they are still languishing.
Z284ever, I swear, I could tell you "It's going to be a beautiful, warm and sunny day today according to the weather man" and you'd say "Ya but that means a lot of people are going to get sun burn and skin cancer today"

If I was on the market today I'd be elated at the choices available. I wouldn't call an inventory of three a lot of Firebirds, was merely pointing out that the choice does still exist. I think a lot of the reason some are still around is simple lack of awareness, for example, some might not even know gmbuypower.com exists and that it can find all the cars of a given make/model in a metro area. Many are no doubt assuming the new ones are all gone.

97z28M6 - Don't accept the price a dealer puts out on the table. They expect you to haggle. If you get down to the invoice price of $20,880 on a Z28 and then take off another $3k, you're down to $17,880! Even with PEG1 and T-tops it still comes in just a little over $20k.

Sunset Orange Met. 2002 Trans Am, DF Lid, FRA, K&N | DFGreen 98 GTP, Insulated SLP K&N, !U!Res, 3.5 Pulley, DHP_PCM, transcooler
| Brilliant Red Metallic 1990 IROC-Z Camaro, K&N, Camaro SS takeoff muffler | NBM 99 Formula, SOLD in Aug. 02.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by BigDarknFast
Z284ever, I swear, I could tell you "It's going to be a beautiful, warm and sunny day today according to the weather man" and you'd say "Ya but that means a lot of people are going to get sun burn and skin cancer today"

LOL. I don't think I'm being that pessimistic. What can I say?....the notion that consumers would be happier to choose from the picked over remains of the departed F-body, rather than than ordering a new Mustang of their choice, seems like the view through very rosey glasses.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:09 PM

What can I say?....the notion that consumers would be happier to choose from the picked over remains of the departed F-body, rather than than ordering a new Mustang of their choice, seems like the view through very rosey glasses.
It's nice that people can still order a new Mustang. But the only variant even close to offering the same performance value as a new Z28, IMO, is the Mach 1. The regular GT is way too lame (260 hp? ) and the Cobra is WAY more than a Z28. But even a Mach I is thousands more... I looked at edmunds.com, and the likely price on an A4 Mach 1 is $27,800 (MSRP $29,810, invoice $27,273). (Want a big discount from dealer on a Mach 1? ) In contrast, an A4 Z28 invoices at $24,288 with PEG1, ASR and T-tops... then there's the $3k off... making it $21,288. IF paying an extra $6k doesn't matter to you, then by all means go ahead and order one. If it was me though I'd have to follow up such a purchase with some t-top withdrawal therapy

BTW, just as one example... there's a silver 2002 Z28, VIN 2G1FP22K822155115, equipped roughly as described above - at Joe Panian Chevrolet in Southfield MI.

Last edited by BigDarknFast; 12-21-2002 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 04:48 PM

BD&F,

Ahha...I see you've been doing your homework. But what if I wanted one in Medim Orange Metallic with ebony leather, a six speed, no T-Tops.....and oh, a Hurst shifter?

No need to run a search....I'm just making the point that what we have left are the leftover remnants from 2002.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:20 AM

Well I agree with you that there isn't a lot of choice left now (BTW I believe you meant "sunset orange metallic" not "medium orange metallic"). But I do think that most of the ones still out there are pretty good units - for example, my dealer (Bob Sellers in Farmington Hills) has a red 2002 TA essentially the same as mine, vin 2G2FV22G022172374, and being a TA it is quite loaded

It would be better if there was a lot of choice out there. When I was on the market last summer, my first choice was a sunset orange A4 Camaro SS but there were none available. However, I'm still happy as a clam with the TA instead! LS1 Trans Am
Old 12-28-2002, 06:39 PM

I drove my friend's(Very hot chick) 03 Cobra two days ago. She had her car dynoed and it made 370+rwhp and this was bone stock with the sticker still on the car. On her dyno slip she was above 300ft/lbs of torque at the wheels from 2000rpm all the way up. It was an awesome car. But from a forced induction car I would expect this. She paid 30k and some change for it. My friend bought a 2002 T/A and paid 33k.

BTW, My father purchased a special edition Mustang for 20k when the msrp was like 26k, you can talk to the Ford dealers down just as much as the Chevy dealers go down. It is a 2000 Mustang Gt with what they call the spring feature package. It had a raised scoop(slightly smaller than the 01 GT's scoop) bigger side scopes(that actually go to the door and stop), it is performance red with black stripes on the hood that say GT right in front of the front glass. There was around 600-700 of these cars made in that color. There was a total of 3,400 in 5 different colors of the Spring Feature Mustang GT made.
Old 12-28-2002, 07:33 PM

Whats even more sad is that GM sees this and gives them more reason not to rush into making a 5th gen if ever.
And you know this how?
Old 12-28-2002, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by Mervz
And you know this how?
Well I don't work for GM, so I dont know this for sure, but it does make sense to me.
Say If you are selling a product and it is not selling well, so you stop making it.
You still have product in the warehouse (or dealer lots) so you put on a sale (or give incentives) yet it continues not to sell.

Given this information, would you spend a great deal of money on reproducing a very similar product? Given that its predeccesor is still sitting in the warehouse collecting dust? Given that the new product may be different, but fundamentally the same concept.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a new Camaro and Firebird for that matter come out for 2004, but buisness is buisness and since the current lots sill have cars on them, it would seem to me that it would lessen the rush to make a new one. You can make all the excuses you want why the current ones aren't selling, but bottom line, they aren't.

Thats the succesion of logic that led me to making the above statement.

In the end what GM needs to do is get back in the market, but change the car enough to make it more appealing to those who in the past found it unappealing, while still keeping it close enough to what it is know so that they don't alienate us and ADVERTISMENTS wouldnt hurt either.

Chris

Last edited by 92RS shearn; 12-28-2002 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:55 PM

Well I don't work for GM, so I dont know this for sure, but it does make sense to me.
Say If you are selling a product and it is not selling well, so you stop making it.
You still have product in the warehouse (or dealer lots) so you put on a sale (or give incentives) yet it continues not to sell.

Chris
Just a few points here..

The 02 Camaro SS sold out MONTHS before the end of the production. I think in April. Sales were very brisk, and the 30 day supply was very low.
There are many more factors involved than you know.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:05 AM

The 02 Camaro SS sold out MONTHS before the end of the production. I think in April.
I'm not sure if that is a fair statement. Didn't GM put a halt on F-body orders in April? I know someone who ordered an SS in April (days before the order deadline) and took delivery shortly before production ended.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Z284ever
I'm not sure if that is a fair statement. Didn't GM put a halt on F-body orders in April? I know someone who ordered an SS in April (days before the order deadline) and took delivery shortly before production ended.
What you said, and what i said mesh perfectly. GM could only make as many cars as they had orders for in April. Therefore, your friend ordered right before the cutoff, and got his car at the end.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:30 AM

Just a few points here..

The 02 Camaro SS sold out MONTHS before the end of the production. I think in April. Sales were very brisk, and the 30 day supply was very low.
There are many more factors involved than you know.
Of course it did, because every1 knew it was the last year. Thats to be expected.

Another Third Gen dude I know bought an 02 JUST because it was the last year to have as a collectors car, a 35th Anniversary as a matter of fact. The LS1 helped a little, but that was really his only reason. LOL, he thought it was gonna be in 00 and he bought 1 then too, then when he found out about the F-Body staying until 02 thats what he did. And of course, he kept the Third Gen and might be looking for another.

Last edited by IZ28; 12-29-2002 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:03 AM

What you said, and what i said mesh perfectly. GM could only make as many cars as they had orders for in April. Therefore, your friend ordered right before the cutoff, and got his car at the end.
That's why I don't understand your statement.

If '02 SS's could be ordered right up to the ordering cutoff (just like any other F-body), and be delivered almost to the end of production,(again, just like any other F-body), how were they sold out months in advance?