Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang Summary...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:10 AM

Mustang Summary...

There is tons of info on the new Mustang circulating right now...I thought that I might summarize some of it.

-Mustang will be out in '04 as an '05.

-It will have a new modern platform with alot of DEW parts and a "Control Blade" IRS.

-Those CAD images that were posted here recently...are, according to "sources" pretty darned close.

-It will be about the same length as the current Mustang, but be slightly lower, wider, longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs.

-Three models will continue. Low 200's hp V6, (approx.) 300hp GT and (approx.) 400 hp Cobra.

There will be greater differentiation between base and GT...and base will have a more upscale look.

There will still be annual "special" models (ie. Bullitt, Mach 1)....but some of these "special" models will be based on the base V6.

-Carrol Shelby is on good terms with Ford again ( he repotedly is working with them on the upcoming GT)....rumors of a GT350 or GT500!

-Rumors of a (Mustang based) Cougar are becoming more persistant.

-Nothing to do with the future, but.......how many 17" wheels are available on 2003 Mustang?

Answer: FIVE!!!
3 for GT
1 for Mach1
1 for Cobra.

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-19-2002 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:43 AM

I have never owned any cars/trucks/suv outside of the GM product family. For my next vehicle I do not intend on buying nor leasing another truck of SUV.

Based on what I am seeing from Ford (Marauder, Mustang, Lincoln LS) and what DCX is coming out with (read RWD cars) I just may buy from GM's competition. Without a Camaro or Firebird, and also without any other RWD Chevys or Pontiacs, the only cars I would purchase from GM as new would be a Corvette or a GTO. GM needs more V8, RWD cars - period.
Old 12-19-2002, 10:05 AM

fortuanatly ford is coming out with an ugly mustang so i have no plans on buying anything that isn't from GM
i am still happy with my camaro so i am able to wait till i see another
hopefully not to long though
Old 12-19-2002, 11:44 AM

I would LOVE to see a GT350/500 on this new retro style platform.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:46 PM

I wish all these good things were the Camaros' news instead.

Last edited by IZ28; 12-19-2002 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:52 PM

I'm not a big fan of the 1 picture with the supposed 2004/5 mustang by the beach. But JasonD had this to say...

Because of where I work, I have REAL pics of the concept they will be unveiling at the Detroit auto show. Theya re not what you have seen online.

I think it is good looking, but it is VERY retro. On the other hand, it IS a concept but an incredibly NICE concept.

No, I won't give them out. Don't even ask. I'd like to, but my job prohibits it.

You'll see them in a month anyway
That sounds very encouraging.

And there will be a BOSS mustang come 2004. It'll probably be a 1 year run like the Mach 1 and Bullit and Hp might be in the 400+ hp range. I'm thinking it'll be All motor too.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:28 PM

Thumbs up

I am looking forward to seeing the Mustang concept when I go to the Detroit Auto Show.

From what I hear, Ford seems to have done a good job.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:58 PM

BTW....drove an '03 Cobra the other day. Very heavy clutch, very stiff shifter.
Down low, it feels like the LB9 in my IROC. But get past 3500 RPM, and it just explodes with power.

Nice car...but I'm still waiting for a 5th gen.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:42 AM

I'm glad Ford is putting out this new Mustang, since it will help keep the pressure on for a new Camaro. From all I've seen, the new Mustang will be a success.

I did notice one thing about the original post in this thread though... regarding wheels:

-Nothing to do with the future, but.......how many 17" wheels are available on 2003 Mustang?

Answer: FIVE!!!
3 for GT
1 for Mach1
1 for Cobra.
Maybe I'm a little confused and not up to speed on this subject, but I'm at a loss as to what the three GT wheels look like. Ford's web site is severely lacking here (speaking of marketing shortfalls!) - far as I can tell, there is no way to view specific features like the wheel options. In contrast, the Chevrolet web site eagerly offers up a hyperlink to view available Camaro wheels:

http://chevrolet.com/camaro/index_exterior.htm

Plus when I went to nadaguides.com to try and see how I would order different wheels for the GT, only two choices were apparent: "Premium aluminum alloy", $0, and "5-spoke 17-inch Bright Aluminum", $395. So what are the three wheels, and what do they look like? As for the Mach 1 wheels, yes they are distinctive... but ugly as sin to boot IMHO WAY too flat, difficult to keep clean, and too retro. If I somehow ended up with a Mach 1, I'd immediately put on aftermarket wheels but would not be able to sell them since they are likely to be difficult to replace, being from a low-volume car. What a waste.

While we're comparing wheel choices, I think it's fair to count both the Camaro SS and the Trans Am WS6 wheels as 17" options from GM for their current muscle car offerings (unless there is a new Mercury Cougar I am unaware of ) For that matter there is the WHOLE CAR available as another choice, IE Firebird vs Camaro, where if you want a Ford muscle car, you have precisely ONE choice - Mustang
Old 12-20-2002, 07:08 AM

The 3rd wheel option on the GT might be the "Bullit" style wheels. For some reason, only 2 come to mind.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:56 AM

For '03, the GT has available what are commonly called the "Bullit" wheels (MY FAVORITE!), an older set of 5 spoke GT wheels that I'm sure everyone has seen before, or the polished '01 Cobra wheels.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by BigDarknFast
For that matter there is the WHOLE CAR available as another choice, IE Firebird vs Camaro, where if you want a Ford muscle car, you have precisely ONE choice - Mustang
I'd say that if you wanted any of those now you'd have precisely one choice.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:15 PM

Ooopsy, INCORRECT...

I'd say that if you wanted any of those now you'd have precisely one choice.
I just now checked gmbuypower.com and just in the Detroit metro area alone, there are at least three new Trans Am's and 15 new Z28's available at dealers.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:57 PM

Re: Ooopsy, INCORRECT...

Originally posted by BigDarknFast
I just now checked gmbuypower.com and just in the Detroit metro area alone, there are at least three new Trans Am's and 15 new Z28's available at dealers.
You are right, there are alot of F-cars still at dealers right now.

Four months after production ended, with no replacement in sight and up to $3,000 in incentives....it's actually sort of sad that they are still languishing.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:38 PM

Four months after production ended, with no replacement in sight and up to $3,000 in incentives....it's actually sort of sad that they are still languishing.
Whats even more sad is that GM sees this and gives them more reason not to rush into making a 5th gen if ever.

Quick Reply: Mustang Summary...