Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang Shelby GT (GT-H) first drive.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 10:03 AM

Mustang Shelby GT (GT-H) first drive.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...9/TOC01ARCHIVE
Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Re: Mustang Shelby GT (GT-H) first drive.

Target pricing is 35k? GTO keeps looking sweeter and sweeter...
Old 08-14-2006, 10:36 AM

A bolt-on GT doesn't do much for me - especially for $35k - but I'd bet big $$$$ that Ford will have no trouble at all unloading every single one of them.

PS...Black w/Silver stripes is pretty sweet looking though, IMHO.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
A bolt-on GT doesn't do much for me - especially for $35k - but I'd bet big $$$$ that Ford will have no trouble at all unloading every single one of them.

PS...Black w/Silver stripes is pretty sweet looking though, IMHO.
Its also helping them that Pontiac wont have a GTO in '07 for people to price shop against.

Its almost funny how GM can be with their timing, lol. Oh well...
Old 08-14-2006, 01:37 PM

So you pay an extra $320 for each extra horse... No thank you Ford.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Spoken like a true Camaro guy.

That's what alot of people in the Camaro community don't and will never understand, and what I believe was Proudpony who hit on this:

IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE MOST HORSEPOWER FROM THE FACTORY!!!!!!!

The thing about Ford Mustang has been, and always will be about having a car that's uniquely you and special in some way. Either via personalization items, or by a laundry list of performance items you can mix or match, regular visually changes (even if it's just minor) or by special edition or collectable Mustangs. This is why Mustang pretty much whipped the snot out of the 4th gen.

Sure, the 4th gen Camaro V8 was quick out the box, and had the most horses per dollar. But those are selling points you'd expect to hear those "Good ole boys" sprouting in a Hemi commercial, or arguements to convince new car buyers from trailer parks.

Late 4th gens were chock full of horsepower over comparably outfitted Mustangs. Yet Mustang outsold Camaro by 5 to 1, outsold the entire F-body line by over 2 to 1, 3 times plus as many men bought Mustangs than Camaros, and in the end there wasn't enough horsepower junkies to keep Camaro alive.

I bought my used '93 Z28 for S&G, and like it enough to buy a newer '97 and then my B4C. The power & handling abilities of the Z28 & B4C put my Mustangs to shame, but.....and I'm sure people who have owned both for any length of time will say the same thing..... the Mustang was still more fun. You could personlize it more, or you can have more specialized versions.

Not singling ya out doc, it's just that it was mentioned in another thread how those who don't, never have, and never intend to own Mustangs will never understand what it is that makes Mustangs so popular.

The Shelby GT will hold it's value like crazy if there's only 10,000 made. There's 30,000 supercharged Cobras about 25,000 Mach 1s, and maybe 20,000 Bullitt Mustangs, so there's no doubt whatsoever that these things will be valuable in the future (look at the old Shelby 350s that are barely more powerful than same year stock Stangs.

Finally, and this sounds cold and morbid, but Caroll Shelby's in his 80s. The moment he buys the farm, the value of these things will probally enable you to buy a new GTO....... and then buy another new GTO as a parts car.

Last edited by guionM; 08-14-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:50 PM

Agreed I don't know who in their right mind would buy one of them I mean yeah, it's alright but if I wanted a 'Stang and was gonna' spend 35k it'd be on a '04 Cobra and I'd use the extra cash for mods...Or if I was smart I'd buy a Camaro
Old 08-14-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Finally, and this sounds cold and morbid, but Caroll Shelby's in his 80s. The moment he buys the farm, the value of these things will probally enable you to buy a new GTO....... and then buy another new GTO as a parts car.
Werd, now if only I can get that Gt500 and get the old coot to sign the glove box, keep it under cover for 20 years with exactly enough mileage that it took to drive it from the dealer to a Shelby club event where he is signing such things then wait for the right moment when the crowd is all sauced up at Barrett Jackson and I will be a gozillionaire
Old 08-15-2006, 12:24 AM

I would say in this case in might be. How much power will a new Mach1 or Boss Mustang be packing? How much will either of these models go for?

This is just another marketing ploy. I have no doubt this car will be a collecter car, because too many well off people have more money than sense, but if Ford built this car in bulk designed to be a serious trim level, they would never sell every unit. It is just way too much money for a car that is supposed to be a performance "value".
Old 08-15-2006, 01:50 AM

That's what alot of people in the Camaro community don't and will never understand, and what I believe was Proudpony who hit on this:

The thing about Ford Mustang has been, and always will be about having a car that's uniquely you and special in some way. Either via personalization items, or by a laundry list of performance items you can mix or match, regular visually changes (even if it's just minor) or by special edition or collectable Mustangs. This is why Mustang pretty much whipped the snot out of the 4th gen.
That may have been a factor in the 4th gen but I dont think it was the major factor. Also what happens when Camaro fixes all of the issues that it had with the 4th? Alot of people talk about how things are now or how they last were instead of whats possible when you resolve those issues, and it drives me nuts! Camaro could be configured half a dozen ways in the 60s. It had everything Mustang had including the cult the 60's car still have today.

Open headlights/ RS,
straight 6,
Base 8(327,307,350),
spoiler
cowl hood
Ralley Rims
Torque thrust D Rims
Dog Dish Rims
SS 350
SS 396
SS 396 Pace Car
427 Iron Block
COPO 427
Yenko 427

The 5th gen isnt going to be as configureable as 69 but everything tells me that it will be alot more flexible with that idea in mind. When the 5th gen has as much variety as the Mustang in 09 and all the usability issues are resolved, along with the killer design leveling the playing field, then power and performance may be a deciding factor. Ill bet you Camaro gets what Mustang has now, and back what it once had of course adjusting for gas prices and insurance.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 08-15-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:18 AM

I perfectly understand that this is being presented as a "collector" car, and that realistically it could have 25 less hp and they would sell everyone.

I just find it rather lame to charge a huge premium for $400 worth of boltons, a badge and some stripes. I just cant be impressed by it...
Old 08-15-2006, 07:59 AM

I perfectly understand that this is being presented as a "collector" car, and that realistically it could have 25 less hp and they would sell everyone.

I just find it rather lame to charge a huge premium for $400 worth of boltons, a badge and some stripes. I just cant be impressed by it...
No harm, no foul. I see what you are saying, but I still think you are not quite getting the whole picture behind the "Shelby" thing. It has totally "zero" to do with performance specs of the car. The extra 25 hp is a technicality that helps a salesman convince a potential buyer that this car is even MORE different than a common Mustang - that's about it. It's ALL about the uniqueness and specialty of it.

Do you by chance own a Polo shirt, a Hilfiger, or a Ralph Lauren? How 'bout a pair of Levi's or Docker's pants? Do you own any Craftsman handtools? Snap-On? Armstrong? S-K Wayne? Do you drink Dr. Pepper or Dr. Thunder? Mountain Dew or Mountain Lightning? Is your computer a Dell/Compaq/HP/Apple or is it a clone?
Do you go for the good stuff, or do you buy everything from Wal-Mart (house-brand)? I find it hard to believe that you don't pay a premium for the things you like or the things that determine who you are sometime in your life.

You see, some people simply don't care about the hp, tq, or 1/4 mile times. It's about APPEARANCE, UNIQUENESS, and EXCLUSIVITY. It's about who they are, how they look, and the genre they bring when they arrive somewhere.

As an anectdotal story... I saw a video on the web about 2 years ago where a guy in a fox-body Mustang busted a Viper on a highway, starting at about 60mph. The Viper was awesome, but the Mustang took his candy up to about 150 when they quit the run. So here's a Mustang with a few "bolt-ons" that might package-out at $8-10k total --- and it eats Vipers... talk about performance for the dollar! But which car draws a crowd in a parking lot? Which one is the babe magnet? Which one turns heads on the street? Which one is likely to get photos taken of it in a car show? Which one is going to have more guys drooling on it, wanting to have it in his driveway? You see, THIS is the point.

You could pull into ANY Mustang car show anywhere, and you will draw a throng of people to your new Shelby GT. You will have people in parking lots coming over to look at your car. You will HAVE to have a conversation with someone EVERY time you fill up with gas. You will have people follow you on the highway to get a better look at the car. You will even get unsolicited offers to buy it from time to time. THIS is why older, more mature people will gladly plop down $35k for such a car.

THIS CAR IS NOT the car for the 18-24 y/o guy who wants to go as fast as possible for little money. It is NOT a low-profile, land missile. Cops DO NOT ignore LeMans stripes and dual exhausts. If that (land missile) is the kind of car you want (and you are a Ford guy), then you get the base Mustang GT, drive it home, and burn another $3-6k in a Jegs or Summit catalog, Roush catalog, Saleen catalog, Steeda catalog, Kenny Brown catalog, Dugan Racing catalog, or better yet - the FRPP catalog. And actually, this works out even better for everyone, because you are trashing a common car that has minimal collector value, while leaving a collectible car with some historic value to someone who will treat the car right and take care of it in a way appropriate for such an investment.

One last thing... I am in no way asking you or anyone else to "convert" to being Mustang lovers - not a chance... BUT, you should really go to a Mustang show - one sponsored by the MCA or a local chapter - just one time to see what it is all about. It is MUCH different than a Corvette or Camaro show (I have been to those too). You will see '65 Mustangs with 170ci I-6 engines and 3-spds taking Gold Awards, '81 4-cyl autos taking Gold, ASC MacLarens, Shelbys, Roushes, V6 cars, Propane-powered units, MPG units, Mustang II's, and just about anything else you can imagine, along with the traditional big block cars, Mach 1s, GTs, etc - all mixed together, literally side by side on the show field. The cool thing is that there is something there for everyone, and nobody ever belittles a car on a showfield.

These cars are about so much more than "going fast" - that's what the person who never owned or drove a Mustang is not able to understand.
Corvettes are all about fast, sleek, and technologically advanced vehicles. Camaros are over 95% V8 cars, with the rare exception of an Iron Duke 3rd gen, you are likely not to see a 6 cylinder Camaro at a show, and you will NEVER see a 4-cylinder model! They are just SOOO different than Mustang shows. If you will go to one, you will better understand why Ford is offering this Shelby and why they will sell like nobody's business.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
It has totally "zero" to do with performance specs of the car. The extra 25 hp is a technicality that helps a salesman convince a potential buyer that this car is even MORE different than a common Mustang - that's about it. It's ALL about the uniqueness and specialty of it.

You see, some people simply don't care about the hp, tq, or 1/4 mile times. It's about APPEARANCE, UNIQUENESS, and EXCLUSIVITY. It's about who they are, how they look, and the genre they bring when they arrive somewhere.
Exactly. Their owners can say "they only built XX this year." or "It's not just a Mustang it's a Shelby GT." It doesn't matter if it becomes a collector car or not, it matters whether it is different from other cars on the road right now.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 AM

Personally, and sadly, I think the Carroll Shelby name/involvement is slowly stripping the value away from the Mustang lineup. The Corvette-priced GT500 was Exhibit A, this is Exhibit B. More power to the Mustang guys like ProudPony if this is the kind of stuff they're looking for, but for me, if I knew down the road the most desireable Mustangs all had to wear the Shelby name as a prerequisite, I'd get prepared to grab my ankles.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 08-15-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:48 PM

I'm gonna say this and then I'll duck for cover.....

This really illustrates what a rich and full history Mustang has. I mean think about it. There are so many SE Mustangs Ford could throw together, AND SELL EVERY ONE AT A PREMIUM.

I mean, look at us, (Camaro enthusiasts). How many factory Camaro models can we dip into the well for? Z/28, of course. SS, sure. RS, okay, as a trim package. ZL1. IROC-Z. Not much else. And even with those names...... SS is Chevy specific, not Camaro specific. And IROC was a really dumb series to name the top level of a Camaro over.

But Mustang! Holy crap! They built a cool version of a Mustang named after a fictitious San Fransisco detective from a '60's movie - and sold every one. This thread is about a SE Mustang based on a racing rental car from the 60's and Ford will sell them all, at well over the cost of the additional parts required to put them together.

Boss, Mach 1, Bullitt, GT, Turbo GT, GT-350, GT-350R, GT-350H, GT-500, SVO, SVT, Cobra, LX...I could go on.

Quick Reply: Mustang Shelby GT (GT-H) first drive.