Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Mustang ads blend nostalgia, dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 09:27 AM

Mustang ads blend nostalgia, dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms

Mustang ads blend nostalgia, newness; dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms
JAMIE LAREAU | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/7/04

Two new commercials for Ford Division's 2005 Mustang aim to achieve seemingly contradictory goals.

They seek to corner the market on nostalgia by invoking 1960s icons Steve McQueen and Jimi Hendrix. At the same time, the commercials are designed to appeal to young buyers by touting the new features of a car that debuted 40 years ago.

Some reviewers call the commercials brilliant. Others insist they miss the mark. But Ford Motor Co. and its dealers say they are driving showroom traffic.

Ford Division is counting on the Mustang to help boost its U.S. retail sales by as much as 15 percent within two years.

One of the commercials, called "Cornfield," plays off the 1989 movie Field of Dreams. A farmer builds a racetrack in his field. As he drives his Mustang from a barn to the track, a figure emerges from the cornstalks and walks toward him. It's a turtleneck-clad McQueen.

The farmer hands the keys to McQueen, who gets in and takes off. That scene flashes back to another movie: 1968's Bullitt. The film's climax featured McQueen racing a Mustang through San Francisco in what many critics still call the most exciting movie car chase ever.

The other commercial, called "Anthem," shows a Mustang in front of a billboard that displays images of the car throughout its history. The car's engine revs up to play "The Star Spangled Banner." It's a subtle homage to Hendrix's performance of the national anthem at Woodstock in 1969.

The "Cornfield" commercial is so popular that Ford added it to its Web site, says Martin Collins, general marketing manager of Ford Division.

Raves and pans

Says Charlie Hughes, managing partner of the consulting firm Brand Rules in Newport Beach, Calif.: "The commercial is brilliant. It's the best thing they've done."

Hughes is a former CEO of Mazda North American Operations. He left the company last year over disagreements with Ford and Mazda executives about the brand's direction. Hughes says Ford's advertising historically has been boring and sometimes bad, but that isn't the case with the Mustang commercial.

"The ad brings back very warm feelings (for the Mustang), and it feels fresher than it really is," Hughes says. "That commercial brings together all the elements needed to get noticed."

Jim Sanfilippo, executive vice president of the auto consulting firm AMCI Inc. in Bloomfield Hills, Mich., says the commercial's use of McQueen's image is deft.

"McQueen was a car enthusiast and a macho guy," Sanfilippo says. "Having him in (the ad) was a good touch."

A dissenting view comes from Bob Garfield, an editor at large of Advertising Age, a sister publication of Automotive News. In a review of the "Cornfield" commercial, Garfield said it amounts to "two old movies, one dead actor, one recycled idea."

Dealers' thumbs up

But Ford dealers say customers mention the commercial when they visit showrooms looking for Mustangs.

Kevin Collins, president of Collins Auto Group and Bill Collins Ford in Louisville, Ky., says he sells a 2005 Mustang almost as soon as it arrives at his dealership, which started stocking them in mid-October. Since then the store has sold more than 20 units, he says.

A Ford dealer in central California who asked not to be identified says he's selling each Mustang he gets for $4,000 to $5,000 over the list price of $19,410, which includes destination.

Kevin Collins concedes that older consumers are more likely to understand and appreciate the McQueen commercial than buyers in their 20s.

"Young people like the spots, but they need to be filled in on the Steve McQueen reference," he says. "Once they are, they think it's nifty. The real connotation is Field of Dreams, and everyone gets that."

Even viewers unfamiliar with McQueen find the commercial powerful, Ford's Martin Collins adds. "You have two legendary figures coming together," he says, referring to McQueen and the Mustang. "You don't need to say much in that ad.

"While there will be, with any ad, a certain group of people who don't get it or connect with it, we're very pleased with it."
You can view the video's here.
http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/launch/

Click on your connection speed, go to gallery, Ignore the photo gallery and wait for the video gallery link to show up, click on it and you'll get to pick between anyone of the 5 commericals.

I really liked the Anthem one even though i've only seen it once on TV.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:11 AM

Re: Mustang ads blend nostalgia, dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms

The "Cornfield" commercial rulez. I am in my 20's and knew what the Steve McQueen connection was immediately. I have seen both commercials on TV, but not much. The "Anthem" commercial is excellent as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:54 AM

Re: Mustang ads blend nostalgia, dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms

Maybe it's just me, but the anthem commercial annoys me. I just don't need to hear our national anthem played in synthesized exhaust sounds.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:57 AM

Red face Re: Mustang ads blend nostalgia, dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms

imho, both commercials are weak, even though they are better than the Corvette "boy's dream"....

what's REALLY drawing people to showrooms is the introduction of some new and interesting products....Tattoo this to Lutz's head: "It's the PRODUCT, stupid!!"
Old 12-07-2004, 12:11 PM

No commercial was greater then Boys Dream.

Oh yeah, the answer to all of GM's problems is a Camaro that had horrible sales numbers and is thought of being a redneck car...please, get that out of your mind. I love Camaro, but a savior of GM it is not.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:12 PM

I like the Cornfield and the Boy's Dream commercial for the Corvette as well. My question is....How did Ford get away with that type of commercial, yet GM gets slammed and had to remove theirs?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25 PM

I think that these new mustang commercials are some of the coolest commercials i have EVER seen. I especially liked "Anthem"

These rate way up with the 95 and 96 Camaro commercial with the boy naming cars by listening to them to his brother. that still is one of my all time favs. anybody have that on their compute
Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM

Yet another example of the difference in Ford's direction vs. GM's direction.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:09 PM

"A Ford dealer in central California who asked not to be identified says he's selling each Mustang he gets for $4,000 to $5,000 over the list price of $19,410, which includes destination."

F&$*ing IDIOT!!!! And, we'll wonder why the Mustang isnt selling in some parts of the country. Morons I tell ya.

By the way, the National Anthem commercial is the BEST commercial Ford has ever put out.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
I think that these new mustang commercials are some of the coolest commercials i have EVER seen. I especially liked "Anthem"
Anthem was probably my favorite car comercial ever. It captured the spirit of the car perfectly. Call me old fashioned, but it stirs the patriot in me to hear the Star Spangled Banner played out by a classicly American car. It was an awesome ad, and so was the cornfield ad. In Ford's ads they make it look like the cars kickass, but in GM's ads they swear that consumer groups will have their ***** if they do it. Yeah, ok.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 AM

AWSOME idea Ford idd with the Corn Feild..when I first saw it I was like no way..awsome

good job ford! way to make people want a Mustang
Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 AM

Then you've got the gay Cobalt commercials.....
Old 12-08-2004, 10:10 AM

I don't see the Cobalt commercials as being "gay." As a matter of fact, I think they are rather clever...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:23 AM

Theres a nice 20k V6 mustang for 27k down the block from me, its just been sitting there for weeks now... doesnt move. Only one they have and id assume only one ford will give them cause of how stupid that is.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
Then you've got the gay Cobalt commercials.....
i definately disagree with you. I find them quite entertaining. all of them

Quick Reply: Mustang ads blend nostalgia, dealers claim buyers are being lured to showrooms