Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

MM&FF '05 Mustang GT...12.4@108mph.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:43 AM

Re: MM&FF '05 Mustang GT...12.4@108mph.

Quote:
In '06, Ford will be selling an '07 Cobra. We'll be comparing that to GTO, not the base model Mustang GT. I'm not sure the GTO is going to fair very well unless GM puts the LS7 in it.
why not talk about cars u guys actually own instead of comparing cars that aren't even out yet? such an annoying conversation :P

Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 AM

Hmmm....guess we shouldn't talk about the 5th Gen RWD Chevy Coupe either. I mean, after all, nobody here owns one, and it isn't even out yet.

So annoying.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by mourningyou
why not talk about cars u guys actually own instead of comparing cars that aren't even out yet? such an annoying conversation :P

Maybe that's discussed here because that's the nature of this section. Being annoyed is a bother, for certain. However; this is a section that discusses "future" vehicles... as in not yet in production...

It's somewhat akin to being annoyed at the cold weather at the winter olympic games...
Old 02-15-2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snorman
No mods, stock tires, reflashed PCM...13.1@106.2 on a 2.025 short time. Doesn't seem like an impressive 60ft. to me, I'll bet we'll see somebody put one in the 12's with an SCT flashed PCM.
S.

Last summer I said 12s with nuthin but a reflash. I'm sure it'll be soon.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlueCruiser
Last summer I said 12s with nuthin but a reflash. I'm sure it'll be soon.
The only thing that would concern me with reflashing to eliminate throttle management or tq. management would be wondering why it's there in the first place.

Might well be longevity issue for driveline parts.

Some "abuse" programming is in place because some owners just don't understand the concept of lifting the damn throttle in a wheel-hop situation. Shock is a lot more hard on driveline parts than HP or Torque. Abuse management is usually "idiot proofing".

As for the notion that Ford's cal is exceptionally intrusive is pause for questions...

Horsepower sells..

0-60 and 1/4 mile time sell vehicles to a market segment. A manufacturer would usually you go for 98% - 99% aggressive if the parts can handle it.

If the parts really can't hack it, you would dial a lot more out.

Some folks know the risks and take them, which is no big deal. Most have no idea and end up grenading parts.

I seriously doubt Ford just wanted to make the aftermarket money by calibrating the way they did.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 02-15-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 PM

I would imagine an 05 Mustang taking an LS1 off the line, but after that it's all LS1.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
The only thing that would concern me with reflashing to eliminate throttle management or tq. management would be wondering why it's there in the first place.

Might well be longevity issue for driveline parts.

Some "abuse" programming is in place because some owners just don't understand the concept of lifting the damn throttle in a wheel-hop situation. Shock is a lot more hard on driveline parts than HP or Torque. Abuse management is usually "idiot proofing".

As for the notion that Ford's cal is exceptionally intrusive is pause for questions...

Horsepower sells..

0-60 and 1/4 mile time sell vehicles to a market segment. A manufacturer would usually you go for 98% - 99% aggressive if the parts can handle it.

If the parts really can't hack it, you would dial a lot more out.

Some folks know the risks and take them, which is no big deal. Most have no idea and end up grenading parts.

I seriously doubt Ford just wanted to make the aftermarket money by calibrating the way they did.
Yes to everything. I agree. I think it is nothing more than a strategy to control warranty claim costs. You see the same thing with the LS2. We're approaching HP levels where stuff breaks, and the cost to make it not break w/o tq management makes the car unprofitable.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
4.30s are not a "radical, very unstreet friendly gears" in a N/A Mod Motor. In fact, it is a very common gear for the modded Mustang. For the 05 GT, that gear nets you ~2500 rpm @ 70 mph.
I couldn't help but laugh at all the RPM whining... I think my little turd churns a little over 3k @ 70

I've been thinking...

Does Ford pack a lot of this potential into the car intentionally so as to "boost" its aftermarket apeal and thus to avoid situations such as those encountered by the 350Z where one possibly loses HP w/ items such as cat back exhausts, etc... I'm not implying that they do so to necessarily turn a profit, but rather to hype it up so speak. "All I have is a tune and I'm running 12s"

Torque Management comes to mind

Edit: or perhaps it's simply a side effect of trying to save some $$ on warranty parts...

Anyhow, I love seeing cars with these kind of results (ie: improvement over stock) after minimal mods.

Last edited by WJH'sFormula; 02-15-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
Yes to everything. I agree. I think it is nothing more than a strategy to control warranty claim costs. You see the same thing with the LS2. We're approaching HP levels where stuff breaks, and the cost to make it not break w/o tq management makes the car unprofitable.

Yup. It's cost savings in the warranty area, simple as that. If by chance there's a weak link in the stang drivetrain, the aftermarket will step in very enthusiastically.

Modded '03/'04 Cobras snap half shafts. Everyone knows it. Everyone knows the fix. Simple.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by WJH'sFormula

I've been thinking...

Does Ford pack a lot of this potential into the car intentionally so as to "boost" its aftermarket apeal and thus to avoid situations such as those encountered by the 350Z where one possibly loses HP w/ items such as cat back exhausts, etc... I'm not implying that they do so to necessarily turn a profit, but rather to hype it up so speak. "All I have is a tune and I'm running 12s"
I don't know. Ford did go mild with the compression and the overall tune of the motor, that's for sure. I know the Mustang aftermarket is the biggest in the industry as far as $$$ spent (stang owners spend over $800 million a year on the aftermarket) and so it would suck if Ford tuned it to the max to the point where most aftermarket additions would equal a loss in power like the 350z you mentioned.

More than anything, i think they did it to give the higher performance varients like possible 350+hp Mach-1 breathing room (wouldn't want GT too close) and perhaps room for the GT to grow on in the upcoming years if they decide to up the hp a little bit.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:14 PM

13.1@106+ with nothing more than a flash tune.
That's just about as quick as a stock, $50k CTS-v and an LS1 F-body.
The gears aren't even needed for that.
S.
Ummmmmm... what a comparison...CTS-V or Mustang GT? I think I will keep my CTS-V. You think I purchased my CTS-V over the Mustang or woudl even consider purchasing a Mustang? The Mustang was NEVER in the picture!!!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:43 PM

Thumbs down Re: MM&FF '05 Mustang GT...12.4@108mph.

Originally Posted by MacOSR
Ummmmmm... what a comparison...CTS-V or Mustang GT? I think I will keep my CTS-V. You think I purchased my CTS-V over the Mustang or woudl even consider purchasing a Mustang? The Mustang was NEVER in the picture!!!
You're missing the point.
A CTS-V owner in this thread compared it to the '05 GT regarding stock and modded performance.
Why that comparison was even made is beyond me.
A 4-door luxury sport touring sedan vs. a 2-door 2+2 pony car/sport coupe.

S.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:42 AM

You're missing the point.
A CTS-V owner in this thread compared it to the '05 GT regarding stock and modded performance.
Why that comparison was even made is beyond me.
A 4-door luxury sport touring sedan vs. a 2-door 2+2 pony car/sport coupe.

S.
Agreed...hopefully the new Mustang will be good for Ford...they need it. I know they lost me on the GT with the dealer markups, and production/engineering problems. Waiting for a 06 Z06 now
Old 02-16-2005, 12:10 PM

LOL....Hmmm....will dealers mark up Z06s when they first come out?

Ya think?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
LOL....Hmmm....will dealers mark up Z06s when they first come out?

Ya think?
Nah, its not like they're in it for the money or anything

They're not as bad as those ooga booga Ford guys, who told me the other day that they cant sell me a Mustang GT at MSRP til winter, fall soonest.

Quick Reply: MM&FF '05 Mustang GT...12.4@108mph.