Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Marines snub UAW....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 09:03 AM

Marines snub UAW....

I knew the UAW would take heat for this and re-think their decision. And I knew the USMC would say thanks...but no thanks.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-117640.htm

Last edited by Z284ever; 03-15-2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 AM

Re: Marines snub UAW....

This story is so stupid, it has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting USMC. It's all about that dumb unions policy that they would have imposed on anyone.

The fact that a member of the US military covered up the name of an american company that has built vechicles and tanks for our troops with the name of a company that is from a country that killed US military personel and bombed our soil on Dec. 7, 1941 is kind of ironic

Last edited by Z28x; 03-15-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:21 AM

Well, well, well... Not surprising at all.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Have to respect our brother marines. I'm waiting for the day the church kicks my guard platoon out for drifting into spots during snow storms.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
The fact that a member of the US military covered up the name of an american company that has built vechicles and tanks for our troops with the name of a company that is from a country that killed US military personel and bombed our soil on Dec. 7, 1941 is kind of ironic
That was over 63 years ago. I think most of us are over it.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
This story is so stupid, it has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting USMC. It's all about that dumb unions policy that they would have imposed on anyone.
Nope, the story is really about an idiot collection at a union with drastically falling membership deciding to pick on some "little guys" to throw some of their weight around...

Yep, took their shots at little old Lance Corporals, PFC's and Corporals who make a FRACTION of the money of one of the most worthless, bloated stooges the UAW has in their membership, for the pleasure of getting SHOT AT FOR A LIVING...

...and finding out the hard way that they picked the wrong targets who responded with the heavy artillery in a very selective and public way to make a point.

Point made. Game, set, match to the USMC.

The UAW tried a guerilla warfare manuver.
The Marines went thermonuclear on them... in a wonderfully professional and effective way.
Old 03-15-2005, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Nope, the story is really about an idiot collection at a union with drastically falling membership deciding to pick on some "little guys" to throw some of their weight around...

Yep, took their shots at little old Lance Corporals, PFC's and Corporals who make a FRACTION of the money of one of the most worthless, bloated stooges the UAW has in their membership, for the pleasure of getting SHOT AT FOR A LIVING...

...and finding out the hard way that they picked the wrong targets who responded with the heavy artillery in a very selective and public way to make a point.

The Marines went thermonuclear on them... in a wonderfully professional and effective way.

Ok, assuming that wasn't sarcasm ill say this. Dude calm down, your beloved marines didn't do anything that anyone else wouldn't have done when faced with something so arbitrary. They moved the fawk on. As they should have.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Ok, assuming that wasn't sarcasm ill say this. Dude calm down, your beloved marines didn't do anything that anyone else wouldn't have done when faced with something so arbitrary. They moved the fawk on. As they should have.
Here, lemme help:

Nope, the story is really about an idiot collection at a union with drastically falling membership deciding to pick on some "little guys" to throw some of their weight around... <---- Not sarcasm.

Yep, took their shots at little old Lance Corporals, PFC's and Corporals who make a FRACTION of the money of one of the most worthless, bloated stooges the UAW has in their membership, for the pleasure of getting SHOT AT FOR A LIVING... <---- Not sarcasm.

...and finding out the hard way that they picked the wrong targets who responded with the heavy artillery in a very selective and public way to make a point. <---- Not sarcasm.

Point made. Game, set, match to the USMC. <---- Not sarcasm.

The UAW tried a guerilla warfare manuver. <---- Semi-sarcastic.

The Marines went thermonuclear on them... <---- Semi-sarcastic.

in a wonderfully professional and effective way. <---- Not sarcastic.

Oh... one more point. The UAW didn't stop to think of the fact that the Marines are absolute experts where PR is concerned, and figured they had a soft target they could pick on.

Bad move.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM

It is a stupid story because it, makes it look like the USMC and UAW are a war with each other. In reality UAW (who is a little too hardcore union for there own good) like to play little union games over something as stupid as letting people park there cars somewhere. It wouldn't have been bad if from day one they said, only UAW car are allowed here so if you have one you are free to use the lot, the USMC probably wouldn't have parked there in the first place. The story sounds like two little kids fighting.

Oh... one more point. The UAW didn't stop to think of the fact that the Marines are absolute experts where PR is concerned, and figured they had a soft target they could pick on.

Bad move.
Definite bad move, I don't think they thought of them as a soft target, they just pick a popular and innocent group to give a hard time. It would have been no different if they had done it to a VFW group, girl scouts, or firefighters going to training.

Last edited by Z28x; 03-15-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:45 PM

Well said PacerX. I agree entirely.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:17 PM

Being a UAW member (Assembler) for the past 10+years, know for a fact that, no matter who, or what group or organization had parked there, the result would've been the same. It's a shame this turned into a "UAW is picking on our beloved Marines" media fest. Just goes to show how gulible people really are, and some out-dated practices of the UAW. And as I said, on local levels, there are many foreign cars in our lots, some even with Bush stickers.

It's ironic that Japanese workers at the "Toyota" plant in Japan, MUST drive Toyota vehicles to park in Toyota's lot.
(I know b/c I worked "closely" with Japanese engineers in an engineering dept at a major Japanese factory for over 2 years.)(One of who's last name was "Honda", and yes he was related to the auto maker..)

***And let's not forget, that many of those: "worthless, bloated stooges the UAW has in their membership" ARE verterans from 3 major wars, including my good friend Scott (USMC-Desert Storm)... ***
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
Being a UAW member (Assembler) for the past 10+years, know for a fact that, no matter who, or what group or organization had parked there, the result would've been the same. It's a shame this turned into a "UAW is picking on our beloved Marines" media fest. Just goes to show how gulible people really are, and some out-dated practices of the UAW. And as I said, on local levels, there are many foreign cars in our lots, some even with Bush stickers.

It's ironic that Japanese workers at the "Toyota" plant in Japan, MUST drive Toyota vehicles to park in Toyota's lot.
(I know b/c I worked "closely" with Japanese engineers in an engineering dept at a major Japanese factory for over 2 years.)(One of who's last name was "Honda", and yes he was related to the auto maker..)

***And let's not forget, that many of those: "worthless, bloated stooges the UAW has in their membership" ARE verterans from 3 major wars, including my good friend Scott (USMC-Desert Storm)... ***
I think it's ironic that your own beloved leadership admitted that they blew this one entirely, and you still won't - chalking it up as a "media fest".

It wasn't a "media fest" for any reason other than the UAW leadership having the combined mental power to toast bread... lightly.

Let's just call this what is was:

An egregious display of titanically poor judgement and sheer stupidity. Were my leaders this dumb, I'd find someone else to represent my interests, in a big hurry.

Last edited by PacerX; 03-15-2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:28 PM

Oh... one more point. The UAW didn't stop to think of the fact that the Marines are absolute experts where PR is concerned...
I wouldn't have guessed it from the way YOU as a "ex" Marine are acting. Right now you seem more like our resident 15yo, redzed, than a cool-under-fire Marine. Are you sure you weren't dishonorably discharged?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by morb|d
I wouldn't have guessed it from the way YOU as a "ex" Marine are acting. Right now you seem more like our resident 15yo, redzed, than a cool-under-fire Marine. Are you sure you weren't dishonorably discharged?
Who ever said Marines were "cool under fire"?

"Cool under fire" is a good way to get dead.

Shooting back is far preferable, failing the availability of artillery.

Nice try with DD comment, not biting. Fish elsewhere.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Wow...people need to, you know, go have a beer or something.

Z28x, the irony hit me too...whether it was 63 years ago or not, I don't really care. I was thinking the same damn thing

Quick Reply: Marines snub UAW....