Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

March 05 Sales figures are up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 PM

March 05 Sales figures are up...

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...eries_0405.xls

GTO sales are up 84.2% for March 2005 vs March 2004... even higher than the roughly 75% increase for February. 1375 units sold.

Just one more month of strongly increased sales that people with an anti-GTO agenda can bend to say it still doesn't sell somehow. Let's see how many months I can get this in a signature!

1375 GTO's in MARCH, if that number ended up being a monthly average, would put total sales for CY2005 at 16,500 units. Sales number should continue to rise as spring and summer come into play, meaning even higher numbers.

Also of note, XLR sales are up 17.9 percent, interesting since XLR was recently being bashed here as a flop, even though it had consistantly sold over expectations, but fell short one month.

Buick, as a whole, is getting bitch-slapped. Though LaCrosse seems to be selling well.

Malibu continues to sell very well... up 48% over last year for March.

Colorado / Canyon sales are rising.

Silverado and Sierra are strong (kind of surprising considering the newer offerings by Ford and Dodge)
Old 04-01-2005, 03:35 PM

Re: March 05 Sales figures are up...

Tks for the numbers. I can't open Excel from this computer at work....on the GTO, did the breakdown 2005 vs 2004 model year sales?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:39 PM

More observations...

Grand Prix took a pretty heafty hit, and the freshened DTS looks like its needed asap.

Cavi and Cobalt combined outsold the Cavi last mtd.

Equinox is selling pretty well.

SSR moved 1.1k units, up ever-so-slightly.

The GMT900 trucks are going to dominate sales when they arrive if they can still move 77k Chevy trucks this past month.

Last edited by Chuck!; 04-01-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Tks for the numbers. I can't open Excel from this computer at work....on the GTO, did the breakdown 2005 vs 2004 model year sales?

Thanks.

No, they don't break Model Year sales (04 vs 05, etc) down... someone on LS1GTO.com figured that 99.1% (I think that is what his number was) of 2004 GTO's are sold... don't know if that is true or not, so take it with a gain of salt.

Also, I read my thread title, and it could be misleading... when I say "March 05 sales are up", I mean "up" as in "posted by GM", not necessarily "up" as in "higher"...
Old 04-01-2005, 03:56 PM

From Media GM:
DETROIT -
General Motors dealers sold 426,114 new cars and trucks in March with retail sales up 34 percent from February levels, led by strong retail truck sales. Overall, GM sales were down 1 percent on a selling days adjusted basis and up 3 percent on an absolute basis.

GM truck sales (255,209) were up 4 percent, and car sales (170,905) were down 9 percent. Total first quarter sales (1,015,142) were down 5 percent. Truck sales in the first quarter (596,866) were down 1.5 percent, and car sales (418,276) were down 9 percent.

"We experienced a nice improvement in both sales and share in March led by full-size pickup and launch vehicle sales," said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North America Vehicle Sales, Service and Marketing. "Several of our launch vehicles, including Pontiac G6, Buick LaCrosse, Chevrolet Cobalt and Colorado and GMC Canyon, all posted best-ever sales.

Cobalt, in particular, had exceptional sales, breaking the 14,000-unit sales mark. We're encouraged by the sales performance of our launch vehicles and are hopeful that sales will continue to gain momentum as consumers become more aware of them and recognize the value they represent."

Sales of GM's new models continued to grow month-over-month comprising an increasingly greater percentage of GM deliveries, accounting for 24 percent of March deliveries and 26 percent for the first quarter.

Pontiac G6 had its best-ever monthly sales in March, beating its previous high in February by 21 percent. With the anticipated addition of the coupe this summer, availability of 4-cylinder engines and a retractable hardtop convertible in early 2006, G6 sales are expected to continue to strengthen.

The new Buick LaCrosse in March had its best sales month since introduction. Total deliveries were up 21 percent compared to February. LaCrosse retail sales again outpaced year-ago combined Century and Regal retail sales achieving a 16.5 percent improvement.

Additionally, Buick's new crossover sport van, Terraza, also posted its best-ever monthly sales with a 37 percent increase over February deliveries. Buick plans to introduce its third all-new vehicle in just over a year with the launch of Lucerne later this year.

The first launch vehicles in Chevrolet's product blitz of 20 new models are showing strong sales results. Cobalt achieved best-ever sales in March with deliveries that were 66 percent above February results. Production of the Cobalt SS coupe and Cobalt SS sedan is scheduled to begin this summer.

Aveo sales were up 34 percent compared to year-ago levels, and Colorado sales rose 58 percent.

Chevrolet's new crossover sport van, Uplander, posted its second-best sales month. Continuing its strong sales results, Equinox deliveries in March broke the 10,000-unit mark for the fifth time in the last seven months.

Next up for Chevrolet are the new HHR, which is scheduled for introduction in the late summer/early fall of 2005 and the new Impala and Monte Carlo, scheduled to arrive in dealers' showrooms later this year.

Highlights of GM's truck sales:
Sales of GM's industry-leading truck lineup were up 4 percent in March, led by a 17 percent increase and the best March full-size pickup sales since 1978.

Chevrolet Silverado sales climbed 18 percent, and GMC Sierra sales increased 23 percent, setting new March sales records. In the very competitive full-size pickup segment, Silverado and Sierra sales continue to outperform the segment, for which total sales are down for the calendar year-to-date.

Mid-size pickup sales rose 38 percent in March, led by best-ever monthly sales of the Chevrolet Colorado (up 58 percent) and GMC Canyon (up 77 percent).

In addition to solid sales for the crossover sport vans Chevrolet Uplander and Buick Terraza, Saturn Relay also posted its best sales to date, a 22 percent increase over February deliveries.

Highlights of GM's car sales:
Consumers continued to respond enthusiastically to Cadillac STS, which achieved its second-best monthly sales since launch. March sales were 31 percent higher than February deliveries.

Entry-level car sales in March were up 7 percent, led by strong sales of Chevrolet Aveo and Cobalt and Saturn Ion, which was up 1 percent compared to last year.

Pontiac GTO deliveries were up 84 percent compared to year-ago levels, and Chevrolet Corvette sales rose 2 percent.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
GTO sales are up 84.2% for March 2005 vs March 2004... even higher than the roughly 75% increase for February. 1375 units sold.
1. Considering that the GTO's post-lauch sales in February/March 2004 were totally dismal, the huge percent increase isn't all that impressive.

2. I wonder how many new Mustang GTs were sold (at or above MSRP!) for the month of March 2005? The number is a whole lot bigger than 1375.

Just one more month of strongly increased sales that people with an anti-GTO agenda can bend to say it still doesn't sell somehow. Let's see how many months I can get this in a signature!
All I know is that the new 2004 GTO that's still sitting at my local Pontiac dealership sure "doesn't sell somehow."

1375 GTO's in MARCH, if that number ended up being a monthly average, would put total sales for CY2005 at 16,500 units. Sales number should continue to rise as spring and summer come into play, meaning even higher numbers.
Darth Xed project GTO sales of 16,500 for CY2005. Even dear ol' Darth can't fudge the numbers to project the GTO's intended 18,000/year sales volume.

Also of note, XLR sales are up 17.9 percent, interesting since XLR was recently being bashed here as a flop, even though it had consistantly sold over expectations, but fell short one month.
....which still doesn't explain the XLR production cut.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
2. I wonder how many new Mustang GTs were sold (at or above MSRP!) for the month of March 2005? The number is a whole lot bigger than 1375.
I still dont know why people compare the Mustang GT to the GTO. They really are not in the same class as much as people really want them to be. The question is how many Mach 1's were sold?
Old 04-01-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by redzed
1. Considering that the GTO's post-lauch sales in February/March 2004 were totally dismal, the huge percent increase isn't all that impressive.
You have a excellent point here. Just 719 GTOs were sold last march when dealers were still screwing things up.

Actually, you should be asking how many Mustang Cobras were sold for the month of March 2005. The number certainly is less than 1375... right up ther with Camaro & Firebird sales for the month.

All I know is that the new 2004 GTO that's still sitting at my local Pontiac dealership sure "doesn't sell somehow."
They have no problem moving here in California anymore. Last week I counted 5 in one day. No, none of them were repeat sightings.

Darth Xed project GTO sales of 16,500 for CY2005. Even dear ol' Darth can't fudge the numbers to project the GTO's intended 18,000/year sales volume.
Actually, GM projects 2005 GTO sales to be in the 13-15,000 range. For 2005, GTO has a shortened production year.

Why? Because the 2006 GTOs will be in showrooms during OUR traditional new car introductions in September-October instead of showing up in December-January as they have the past 2 years.

....which still doesn't explain the XLR production cut.
Actually the production cut was because of overproduction rather than anything else. Though even I had questions about the XLR, it seems it's actually doing pretty well overall... despite the overly generous sales projections.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:46 PM

I cant believe the clone GM minivans are selling . I work part time at Saturn , and we are selling every one we get . I thought they would be lot dwellers , go figure
Old 04-02-2005, 01:06 AM

Yeah, I think that many people project major flops long before things pan out.
Few off the top of my head would be the G6. Selling at almost 10k units with one model.
At NYIAS, there were a LOT of people around the 9-7x. And a LOT of people asking questions about it at the Saab booth. No one seem to pitch a fit about the V8. No one seem to whine about teh 4spd. Many people around the car were very happy with teh looks, in and out. There was one guy that commented on how it looked a hell of a lot better then the Volvo.
Too many people jumping to conclusions.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:45 AM

Thumbs up Re: March 05 Sales figures are up...

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I cant believe the clone GM minivans are selling . I work part time at Saturn , and we are selling every one we get . I thought they would be lot dwellers , go figure
Yeah A buddy of mine asked me if I seen them nice new minivans from GM! I just looked at him as if to say ...What! But I didn't say anything as it has always been sorta my hobby to get ppl into GM stuff, and only cuz I believe in it. I would never promote a product I don't believe in. Actually he really likes the HHR. So do I, but minivans, I don't think the day will ever come when I will like one. But yeah I guess some ppl like em' cuz I've seen quite a few around. All different brands too! Some think this is bad (sharing engines and vehicle platforms across so many brands) but I disagree. I think this is why we have such great parts interchangeability with GM stuff. Which in the end makes it cheaper and easier for us, the end user to maintain, fix , upgrade, etc. One of the advantages to Chosing GM, and why I've been a GM guy for so long. I suspect I'm not alone!

Last edited by SCNGENNFTHGEN; 04-04-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:16 AM

i can't find it now, but earlier i was using google and found a graph over the years of different types of cars. on of the lines was marked "special"(in reference to the special market, as opposed to say suv market or luxury market) and had a pic of the GTO. they predicted it to increase around 2008-2009 and a slight drop in 2010.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Just one more month of strongly increased sales that people with an anti-GTO agenda can bend to say it still doesn't sell somehow. Let's see how many months I can get this in a signature
1375 is pretty good actually.. So in yor honor once again I will change my sig . BTW, just use my name in reference, We all know who you are talking about

Even if this months sales look good, I will still have to deem you a GM nuthugger. Just for the fact that I riled you up enough to post this.

BTW I am not anti GM at all, just anti nuthuggers. Glad to see GM's figures improve for some critical brands..

Last edited by 2MCHPSI; 04-02-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:54 AM

Thank goodness for Chevy or GM sales would really be in the toilet!
Old 04-02-2005, 04:20 PM

Good to see G6 sales up...like that should surprise anyone. Malibu sales blow me away...the fact the car has taken off like that is great. And honestly? The more i see them, the more I like them. I know a lot of people here hate the style, but if you ignore the chrome bar, I think it looks quite nice. And the bar is gone for '06

Quick Reply: March 05 Sales figures are up...