Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Malibu Maxx SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 03:51 PM

Exclamation Malibu Maxx SS

Some things are best left unsaid.... but a Station Wagon?!

http://wieck.com/public/*2PV_050412
http://wieck.com/public/*2PV_050411
Old 04-21-2003, 08:49 PM

I'd rather buy a Protege 5
Old 04-21-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by MunchE
I'd rather buy a Protege 5
you can keep your gay Protege 5, I'd rather have a Pontiac Rageous.

http://www.conceptcarposter.com/gm_i...ac_Rageous.jpg
and
http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/tema/...sa/outrag.html
Old 04-21-2003, 09:40 PM

I always thought the Rageous was a bit overdone. But I loved the Mercury when it came out. Very nice.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:50 PM

Let's face some painful facts.

Nowadays Chevys are boring. Maybe these designs are the result of focus groups or maybe someone keeps dropping the ball. Either way...Chevys have the style of a Toyota, but without the fit and finish.

It seems that the SS sub-brand strategy will bring these anonymous Chevy cars up a notch, to the level of...oh...say, your average Nissan or Mazda, (for a premium price).

I'm sure this strategy has been brainstormed and wargamed to death and has a good business case.

Fair enough, but...............

Just remember that, the next time we have a Z/28 vs SS debate.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by Z284ever

Nowadays Chevys are boring. Maybe these designs are the result of focus groups or maybe someone keeps dropping the ball. Either way...Chevys have the style of a Toyota, but without the fit and finish.

It seems that the SS sub-brand strategy will bring these anonymous Chevy cars up a notch, to the level of...oh...say, your average Nissan or Mazda, (for a premium price).

I'm sure this strategy has been brainstormed and wargamed to death and has a good business case.

Probally the perfect example as to why SS shouldn't be "under" Z28. What's so special about SS, if a run of the mill Station wagon (as well as pickup trucks and V6 Monte Carlos) have it.

If SS is so special, why not rename a Z06 Corvette a Corvette SS?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by guionM
Probally the perfect example as to why SS shouldn't be "under" Z28.
Hey guion, didn't you mean to say "over"?
Old 04-22-2003, 01:58 AM
Banned

Probally the perfect example as to why SS shouldn't be "under" Z28. What's so special about SS, if a run of the mill Station wagon (as well as pickup trucks and V6 Monte Carlos) have it.

If SS is so special, why not rename a Z06 Corvette a Corvette SS?
I guess this is the start of SS "badge inflation." Chevrolet reintroduced an old perfomance moniker, and made it credible with products like the 454 SS truck, Impala SS and Camaro. Now they're going to leverage the badge on most every product line. The upcoming 250hp Malibu SS is just the start of the joke. If GM had actually engineered the Malibu as a credible Altima V6 competitor from the start, the naming gimmick wouldn't have been neccessary.

The suggestion of a Corvette SS might just be in line with the current mentality at Chevrolet. Sure, it would be historically inaccurate, but it might create a halo effect for the "hot" Malibu.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:50 AM

At least there's precident or a history with "Malibu SS." I don't see GM going to a "Corvette SS," certainly not for the sake of pushing the SS line.

It's nice that GM decided to offer a sporty wagon. There seems to be a market for them. Personally, I still like the WRX wagon as a performance bargain.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:37 AM

Hey guion, didn't you mean to say "over"?
DOH!!

Guess my medication didn't wear off yet.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by redzed
I guess this is the start of SS "badge inflation." Chevrolet reintroduced an old perfomance moniker, and made it credible with products like the 454 SS truck, Impala SS and Camaro. Now they're going to leverage the badge on most every product line. The upcoming 250hp Malibu SS is just the start of the joke. If GM had actually engineered the Malibu as a credible Altima V6 competitor from the start, the naming gimmick wouldn't have been neccessary.

The suggestion of a Corvette SS might just be in line with the current mentality at Chevrolet. Sure, it would be historically inaccurate, but it might create a halo effect for the "hot" Malibu.
You bring up another good point. One can get a regular Altima with the 3.5, or any other of the quicker sedans, and have a good looking family car that is quick (probally quicker than the Malibu), but to the new marketing whizzes at Chevy, it needs to be called "SS".

Mercury had a "hot" Maurader that could be outrun by these family cars, and it seems Chevy's going down the same route.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:49 AM

I like the Maxx---kinda dumb name though. An SS version is great---as long as it has credible performance upgrades. I am tired of Chevys pinstrip and paint "SS" packages.

I see the Maxx as a leader and inovator.

BTW--whast this of a Malibu SS? Any specs?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

You bring up another good point. One can get a regular Altima with the 3.5, or any other of the quicker sedans, and have a good looking family car that is quick (probally quicker than the Malibu), but to the new marketing whizzes at Chevy, it needs to be called "SS".

Mercury had a "hot" Maurader that could be outrun by these family cars, and it seems Chevy's going down the same route.
It strikes me that when performance image/badging isn't backed by credible performance, sales suffer. If the Marauder's DOHC V8 drivetrain had been applied to a less overblown Town Car "Touring" or Crown Vic Sport, the results might have been more successful.

Its funny that rational adults can be surprised by a high-powered Altima V6 "family sedan," but resist a Malibu SS that probably will offer similar performance. If I had to predict, the overall quality of the Malibu will probably even be on par with the Nissan. The problem with SS-ing normal cars is that it raises suspicions more than expectations. It gives enthusists the message that Chevy will want a premium for what other makes consider to be standard.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:23 PM

More Malibu to the Maxx!!

Multiple angles of LT trim

Note: Notice optional rear DVD entertainment system

Last edited by jrp4uc; 04-22-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:44 PM

The Z cars have the same watered down legacy, Z24, Z26,,,,the list goes on and on.

Quick Reply: Malibu Maxx SS