Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lincoln to get 2 RWD in addition to LS & Town Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 06:36 PM

Lincoln to get 2 RWD in addition to LS & Town Car?

It's been slow lately, so I figured I'd post this. At BON there seems to be someone from Ford saying for some time that a new RWD sedan is in the works. Now, Motor Trend says Lincoln is working on a new sedan between the LS and Town car and a 4 passenger convertible (the Mark IX?) as well as a crossover in the upcomming Cadillac's mold.

http://motortrend.com/features/news/112_news28/
Old 12-07-2002, 08:29 PM
Banned

Re: Lincoln to get 2 RWD in addition to LS & Town Car?

Originally posted by guionM
Now, Motor Trend says Lincoln is working on a new sedan between the LS and Town car and a 4 passenger convertible (the Mark IX?) as well as a crossover in the upcomming Cadillac's mold.

So Lincoln is replacing the Continental, a car that died because it was aimed at a market segment that just didn't exist. Then surprise of surprises, they're going to revive the Mark as a drop top. Big coupes aren't hot tickets, so try a big convertible?

I thought the idea of a smaller RWD car to fit below the LS was a good idea - after all, there is market for BMW 3-series sized vehicles. What isn't a good idea is perpetuating all of the traditional American luxury niches. At least they're mulling over an X3 competitior. I just hope that its based on the LS platform, or even the next Land Rover Freelander. The world doesn't need a Lincolnized Ford Escape.

Maybe someone at Dearborn will finally figure out that Lincoln is just chasing its tail with its traditional lineup. The Town Car has all of the prestige of a Crown Vic Taxi - which is exactly how the car services in New York use them.