Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lexus LS-460 Self Park feature.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 03:26 PM

Lexus LS-460 Self Park feature.

I just cought this on Auto Week on TV... Neat feature. Very futuristic.

http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...0601_lexus_ls/
Old 01-27-2007, 03:33 PM
gab

dont know how realistic the following video is, with regards to this autopark feature. If it is, I definitely wont hold my breath right now..maybe in a few years or so...anyway, it's kinda hilarious...

http://mojoflix.com/Video/Lexus-LS46...ng-System.html
Old 01-27-2007, 05:09 PM

I love the LS460 - it has bar-none the most amazing attention to detail, build quality, and ride quality I've seen south of a quarter million dollars, and has very high predicted reliability and relatively low cost of maintenance too (unlike most other competitors north of 100k).

Everything from the biggest features to the smallest details are so well thought out, so well executed, and so top-notch...

...that I wonder who the hell snuck that auto park feature in there, because it's a turd.

That feature annoys me to no end. Maybe 1 in 20 people actually have a true use for a feature like that to help them park - the other 19 out of 20 will just use it to impress their friends and then never touch it again. And for those 1 in 20 people, it just doesn't work all that well, at all.. not nearly as simple and reliable as it sounds in concept. Everything from the setup to throttle modulation has a steep learning curve. It's like learning how to park all over again, which is ironic for something that's supposed to make life simpler.

What annoys me more is that about 70 to 80% of all LS460s that are distributed in the US have this feature by default in their options list. It's impossible to get much more than a "base model" (which still isn't basic at all) LS460 without the stupid park feature tacked onto the options list and you end up paying for it.

Not that I'm IN the market for an LS460, but if I was, I'd likely end up getting something closer to a base model just because it'd **** me off to know I paid 500 bucks for that stupid feature.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:28 PM

I don't see the big deal, if ya can't park your car, you shouldn't be driving it.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
I don't see the big deal, if ya can't park your car, you shouldn't be driving it.
+1
Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Let me know when someone comes out with self driving, without having to add anything to the road, then I'll be impressed.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mastrdrver
Let me know when someone comes out with self driving, without having to add anything to the road, then I'll be impressed.
I won't be impressed, I'll be afraid for my life!
Old 01-27-2007, 09:48 PM

its a nice car....i work at a lexus dealership ...i dont think its awesome looking or anything....but its the best looking lexus out of the family hands down ....the cheapest one i have seen is 63000 ....its a great car in terms of what if offers....

still i wouldnt want one....lexus are boring to look at ..in my opinion....
Old 01-28-2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
...that I wonder who the hell snuck that auto park feature in there, because it's a turd.

That feature annoys me to no end. Maybe 1 in 20 people actually have a true use for a feature like that to help them park - the other 19 out of 20 will just use it to impress their friends and then never touch it again. .............

Women who can' drive would prolly use it in NYC trying to parallel park..

I've driven a high end Toyota (Solera (sp?) and I loved it! I can only imagine a Lexus. I mean, as soon as I closed the window it was quiet as can be. NO road noise at all! the VVTi had plenty of power. (I was a ricer at the time) Great car, tho.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
Women who can' drive would prolly use it in NYC trying to parallel park..

I've driven a high end Toyota (Solera (sp?) and I loved it! I can only imagine a Lexus. I mean, as soon as I closed the window it was quiet as can be. NO road noise at all! the VVTi had plenty of power. (I was a ricer at the time) Great car, tho.
the es , rx, is and sc all have road noise.....i know i have driven a lot of them new a used....the LS...is the quiet one...
out of the lexus line the LS is their best car
Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by transamgirl95
the es , rx, is and sc all have road noise.....i know i have driven a lot of them new a used....the LS...is the quiet one...
out of the lexus line the LS is their best car
All cars have some road noise, engine noise, wind noise, etc... it's just somewhere between loud as hell and whisper quiet.

The ES, RX, and SC all have road noise, but they're still best in class in terms of noise. If you want a quiet car with a smooth ride, Lexus will pretty much never let you down. The LS just seems to take that theme about 5 levels higher than any of their other cars.

Going from my 99 GS to my 06 A4 was a big shocker in that department. The A4 seemed downright unrefined and noisy. I've since kinda gotten used to it, but the Audi is still much much louder than the Acura TL and Lexus IS that I also drove when I was cross-shopping. It was slightly louder than the 3-series, too, but not by much.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:38 AM

I had to rent the Solera when my father backed into my cavalier. I was impressed to say the least! THe rod noise was minimal. I'm gonna have to try a Lexus test drive one of these days when I'd like a nice DD. (LEave the Camaro in the Garage)

I can only imagine the quality getting better from a Toyota to a Lexus.

An 8 speed automatic??? Did I read that right? talk about shifting ever two seconds..That trans is going to be buisy. Or would that be better on gas mileage? -Keeping it in a certain RPM range?

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 01-28-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
I had to rent the Solera when my father backed into my cavalier. I was impressed to say the least! THe rod noise was minimal. I'm gonna have to try a Lexus test drive one of these days when I'd like a nice DD. (LEave the Camaro in the Garage)
Yeah if you were impressed by the quietness in the Solara, you'll be blown away by the quietness in most of the Lexus models. Especially if you go look at an LS or GS or something instead of just an ES, IS or one of their trucks.

An 8 speed automatic??? Did I read that right? talk about shifting ever two seconds..That trans is going to be buisy. Or would that be better on gas mileage? -Keeping it in a certain RPM range?
Surprisingly that's not an issue at all... the shifts are unbelievably quick and more importantly, completely imperceptible unless you're watching the tachometer. The shorter range between gears can improve everything from gas mileage to performance and shift quality as well. Of course a poorly executed 8 speed could end up hurting all of those factors more than helping, but from what I've seen and heard, that's not the case with this one.
Of course with each additional gear added it becomes even harder to really make a worthwhile case for it, but the LS managed to actually LOSE weight and complexity in its transmission when transitioning to its 6-speed to its 8-speed automatic.

I know lots of people think 8 speeds is excessive because they think of an 8 speed manual, but this is a very different experience and set of variables in play.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Threxx
All cars have some road noise, engine noise, wind noise, etc... it's just somewhere between loud as hell and whisper quiet.

The ES, RX, and SC all have road noise, but they're still best in class in terms of noise. If you want a quiet car with a smooth ride, Lexus will pretty much never let you down. The LS just seems to take that theme about 5 levels higher than any of their other cars.

Going from my 99 GS to my 06 A4 was a big shocker in that department. The A4 seemed downright unrefined and noisy. I've since kinda gotten used to it, but the Audi is still much much louder than the Acura TL and Lexus IS that I also drove when I was cross-shopping. It was slightly louder than the 3-series, too, but not by much.
lol i cant believe the SC would get best in class....its so noisey.....they arent selling to well right now nor is the LX...i hope both are up for a redo ...they need it badly .....

the IS is loud...low profile tires doesnt help though....

es better than the last one....but i hate it ...i really dont like FWD cars

the GS was always my fav.....although i find them unattactive i think out of the lexus line they are the best bang for your buck...excluding the hybrid (we dont sell many since they list for 60,000) ...always where my fav to drive out of all the lexus ...still are ..

oh and i am not hating on the LS>...the car is a nice car....its so quiet the doors are rediculously thick to help with that ....i just think its blah looking ...would i own one ?? no....are they bad cars no ...

have you looked underneath these cars to see how much sound deading stuff is sprayed on them ??....its rediculous ...it looks like foam

Last edited by transamgirl95; 01-28-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Is/was it Lexus who advertised the "dimpled floor pans" a few years ago which were supposed to quiet down the road noise? Is that still in use by them (or anyone?)

Quick Reply: Lexus LS-460 Self Park feature.