Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Learned some of GM's problem first hand from my Cavalier loaner...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Darth Xed
There are cheaper cars out there than Cavalier... so "cheap only" doesn't fit all situations.
The choices aren't very numerous. You could opt for a beter equiped, better finished, and more refined (yikes!) Neon, spring for a Focus, or a Korean car.

Of course, the Cavalier got alot less competitive when GM made ABS optional. Until then, you could get a good looking Cavalier coupe with ABS and A/C for a bit less than $10,000. Now that was a better deal that a smaller Korean sweatbox.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:53 AM

There are cheaper cars out there than Cavalier... so "cheap only" doesn't fit all situations.

Also, I do think the accross the board incentives move people up... A lot of people say "I have 'X' amount to spend on a car... gimme the most expensive thing I can afford"

If tat $3000 rebate pushes them from a Cavalier sedan to a Malibu, I bet a lot of them jump to the Malibu.

A little "up to the minute" proof that people are using rebates to buy a more expensive car, rather than taking that cheaper car they would have normally bought at a better price:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caran...dai_buyers.xml
Old 04-30-2003, 10:34 AM

I still say there is a bit of deffererence between people who buy $10,000 Cavaliers and $20,000 Malibus.

In reality i think that article is more true for people who buy cars $20,000 and above.

A person who can afford a $21,000 Malibu is much more likely to look at a $24,000 Impala with rebate. Basically what I am saying (and this is a generalization) Most people who buy Cavaliers are cheap or can;t afford better that the time. Throw a $3,000 rebate at them and they are more likely to add an option to Cavalier or pocket the money than someone in a more expensive car. Which in this case is the Malibu which runs $5k+ more with rebates. In short to a person buying a Cavalier that $3K is much more improtant than somone buying a more expensive car.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:41 AM

Unhappy

Don't know if i should admit it or not, but I drive a 2001 cavalier, (bought used), and until now, I thought i had a pretty decent car for the money...

but after reading these comments, i guess i should kill myself out of shame
Old 04-30-2003, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by formula79
I still say there is a bit of deffererence between people who buy $10,000 Cavaliers and $20,000 Malibus.

Well, for one, you are not even close in the pricing on these cars.

Cavalier Sedan starting Prices:

Base Car: $14,795
LS: $16,295
LS Sport: $17,595

Malibu starting Prices:

Base Car: $18,645
LS: $21,125

Your supposed $10,000 difference is now down to $3xxx!! When you use real numbers, things appear much more clearly.

So, if you factor in the $3000 rebates, or 0%/60 month financing, it is very viable for a Cavalier buyer top step up to a Malibu.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:06 AM

Well, for one, you are not even close in the pricing on these cars.

Cavalier Sedan starting Prices:

Base Car: $14,795
LS: $16,295
LS Sport: $17,595

Malibu starting Prices:

Base Car: $18,645
LS: $21,125

Your supposed $10,000 difference is now down to $3xxx!! When you use real numbers, things appear much more clearly.

So, if you factor in the $3000 rebates, or 0%/60 month financing, it is very viable for a Cavalier buyer top step up to a Malibu.
Funny the dealer I was at last week was selling them for 10-11K.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:58 AM

Funny the dealer I was at last week was selling them for 10-11K.
You know... this is the kind of total BS that drives me nuts...

NO KIDDING YOU CAN GET A CAVALIER FOR $10-$11k RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

If you take the MSRP on a base Cavalier Sedan, take the $3000 bonus off, you are at $11xxx right there without even negotiating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you not think you can do the same exact thing with a Malibu (or just about any other car)??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Take the base Malibu, take the $3000 rebate (if you put $0 down and took the 0% for 5 years you'd save even more), and you are down to $15xxx without negotiating... the difference is still $3xxx, and you'd get the MALIBU for the price of the CAVALIER if the REBATES WEREN'T AROUND!!!!!!

How hard is this simple concept to grasp?!!?!? Geez.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:14 PM

You know... this is the kind of total BS that drives me nuts...

NO KIDDING YOU CAN GET A CAVALIER FOR $10-$11k RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

If you take the MSRP on a base Cavalier Sedan, take the $3000 bonus off, you are at $11xxx right there without even negotiating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you not think you can do the same exact thing with a Malibu (or just about any other car)??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Take the base Malibu, take the $3000 rebate (if you put $0 down and took the 0% for 5 years you'd save even more), and you are down to $15xxx without negotiating... the difference is still $3xxx, and you'd get the MALIBU for the price of the CAVALIER if the REBATES WEREN'T AROUND!!!!!!

How hard is this simple concept to grasp?!!?!? Geez.
I don't think many Cavalier buyers are using thier $3,000 rebates to get Malibu's not in market where most people are looking for sub $240 car payments. Even with rebate you may get a Malibu for $15,000 with zero options...but for that you can get a loaded Cavalier.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:28 PM

I don't think many Cavalier buyers are using thier $3,000 rebates to get Malibu's not in market where most people are looking for sub $240 car payments. Even with rebate you may get a Malibu for $15,000 with zero options...but for that you can get a loaded Cavalier.
Sigh...

With the rebates, and negotiating you ought to be able to get a new Malibu for right around $13,xxx easy.

But, fine, if you want to say you can get a loaded Cavalier instead of a Malibu with less options... you are right! But you just made my point for me!!!!!!!!!!

People are more likely to buy a more optioned car for what they originally would have spent than buy the same, less equiped car they originally would have without the rebates, and just take the cheaper price.

The article I posted shows this is the current trend.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:41 PM

While that may be true of someone who was already planning on buying a new car, I think you are missing a large chunk of the people who are currently buying Cavaliers. These are people who set out to buy a USED car. Because the dealers and Chevy are giving such great terms, they can now move up to a new car.......... the Cavalier.

This is where a great deal of the market is coming from, I think.

That being said, I have a hard time believing that someone looking at a fully loaded Cavalier..... for CHEAP, is going to cross shop a bare bones Malibu........ for ONLY $3K more. Doo dads are in. If they don't need the extra space, they will probably take the cheaper car with all the bells and whistles. This plays into the market that the Cavalier is primarily going for. Basically....... young single people......... or slightly older single people (secretaries and such). It is only the young family that would cross shop, in my opinion.

As semi-awful as the Cavalier is, it is still looked at as a sportier vehicle than a Malibu......... which is along the lines of the Camry and Accord (basic transportation appliances). This plays more to the younger crowd. I mean, when was the last time you saw a bright yellow Malibu????

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:51 PM

Sigh...

With the rebates, and negotiating you ought to be able to get a new Malibu for right around $13,xxx easy.

But, fine, if you want to say you can get a loaded Cavalier instead of a Malibu with less options... you are right! But you just made my point for me!!!!!!!!!!

People are more likely to buy a more optioned car for what they originally would have spent than buy the same, less equiped car they originally would have without the rebates, and just take the cheaper price.

The article I posted shows this is the current trend.

If a Malibu bases for $18,600+ $600 destination which makes it about $19,000 on the showroom floor with no options how do you get $13000?
Old 04-30-2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by 94LightningGal
While that may be true of someone who was already planning on buying a new car, I think you are missing a large chunk of the people who are currently buying Cavaliers. These are people who set out to buy a USED car. Because the dealers and Chevy are giving such great terms, they can now move up to a new car.......... the Cavalier.

This is where a great deal of the market is coming from, I think. [
Fair enough... and probably very true... but the same premise is still in effect. People are paying what they would have paid anyway, just getting more bang for their buck.

They could get that used car cheaper right now... used car prices have fallen with all the rebate action because of the overabundance of used cars from trade-ins.

That being said, I have a hard time believing that someone looking at a fully loaded Cavalier..... for CHEAP, is going to cross shop a bare bones Malibu........ for ONLY $3K more. Doo dads are in. If they don't need the extra space, they will probably take the cheaper car with all the bells and whistles. This plays into the market that the Cavalier is primarily going for. Basically....... young single people......... or slightly older single people (secretaries and such). It is only the young family that would cross shop, in my opinion.
I agree again. But the fact is a fully loaded Cavalier is about the SAME PRICE as a base Malibu. If you compare similarly equiped Cavaliers & Malibus, there is that $3xxx gap that I have discussed. The rebate now offers the Cavalier buyer the chance to buy the Malibu for what they would have paid for the similarly equiped Cavalier before the rebate wars started.

As semi-awful as the Cavalier is, it is still looked at as a sportier vehicle than a Malibu......... which is along the lines of the Camry and Accord (basic transportation appliances). This plays more to the younger crowd. I mean, when was the last time you saw a bright yellow Malibu????

Again, I agree... but you can plug in whatever car you want... remove the Malibu, insert the Grand Am for a 'sportier' car... you still have the same situation.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:23 PM

If a Malibu bases for $18,600+ $600 destination which makes it about $19,000 on the showroom floor with no options how do you get $13000?

Easy.

$19,200 total MSRP for Malibu.

Negotiate off 10% of sticker (fairly easy) = $17,280

Take off $3000 rebate = $14,280.

OK, so I miss my $13xxx figure by $281 by not figuring on the dest charge (Otherwise I'd be right in the mid-$13k's)... but I didnt figure the dest charge on Cavalier either, so it's a wash.

If you get the College Grad discount or the 1st time buyer discount, like many in this class would be eligable for, you are into the $13xxx figure.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:27 PM

Easy.

$19,200 total MSRP for Malibu.

Negotiate off 10% of sticker (fairly easy) = $17,280

Take off $3000 rebate = $14,280.

OK, so I miss my $13xxx figure by $281 by not figuring on the dest charge (Otherwise I'd be right in the mid-$13k's)... but I didnt figure the dest charge on Cavalier either, so it's a wash.

If you get the College Grad discount or the 1st time buyer discount, like many in this class would be eligable for, you are into the $13xxx figure.
hrrmmm....somehow I just don;t see teh Malibu going for that...thats like 30% off sticker...again I could be wrong I haven;t shopped Malibu's.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:28 PM

hrrmmm....somehow I just don;t see teh Malibu going for that...thats like 30% off sticker...again I could be wrong I haven;t shopped Malibu's.
Just pick up your Sunday paper... you'll see Malibu's in there for that.

I promise.