Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Lambda, the next big thing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 10:32 PM

Lambda, the next big thing.

Lambda's a really big deal...and we hardly ever even mention it around here.

Lambda products could end up picking up where large SUV's, midsized SUV's and minivans ....ummm, just about now...are ready to leave off.

They will be 7 passenger crossovers, with the the room of a large SUV/minivan...but with driving dynamics and gas mileage that are said to be car-like.

They will be available as FWD or AWD and will have available V6's and V8's. As far as V8's....I've heard the 5.3 and Northstar replacement might be available in various versions.

The first ones will be available about this time next year.

Saturn will get the Outlook, GMC gets the Acadia and Buick gets a yet un-named version . At GM's analyst preview afew months ago, all three were on display. They all had their own unique sheetmetal and interiors. Apparently, people were very impressed.
GM predicts that in afew years, crossovers (like Lambda and Theta), will make up 20% of all GM vehicles sold.

Lambda will be a VERY big deal for GM.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:33 PM

Re: Lambda, the next big thing.

So big it gets two threads? These are the spaceship looking ones mentioned in the press? Correct?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
So big it gets two threads? These are the spaceship looking ones mentioned in the press? Correct?
Lambda gets a lot of discussion at C&G and a little at GMInside news. Paricularly recently in a discussion of the future of the GMT360s. It seems reasonable that as Lambda comes to market Chevy would need a version, it is the volume brand, and that this new version would compete directly with Lambda. Both Chevy's would be 7 seat and probably about the same size. Depending on towing capacity and hauling ability I could see a LOT of people going the crossover route over GMT360. Especially if the gas mileage and ergonomics are better. I think the Trailblazer will get a reskin and new interior rather soon and then as sales start to decline a Lambda Trailblazer would replace it around 2012 or so.

Lets not forget spy photos showed up months ago of the saturn sporting 6 lug wheels and what seems to be a lot of room inside.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8960.html

PS Brandon it don't look like a space ship to me.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:36 PM

So big it gets two threads?

I deleted the other one. I couldn't fix the spelling error that unvc92camarors
pointed out.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
\

PS Brandon it don't look like a space ship to me.

I swear I read somewhere that a reporter said one or some of them looked like a spaceship.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:39 PM

I swear I read somewhere that a reporter said one or some of them looked like a spaceship.
Those who saw them at the preview raved about them.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM

If any would look like a space ship it would be the Buick. Remember Cientime? It was very space ship looking but at the same time had elegance IMO.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM

They are bad *** and true to the concept. One look at the Chevy Lambda screams "spaceship" to me. Looks very futuristic. Seats 8 people, COMFORTABLY, yet provides car-like fuel economy as you've pointed out Charlie.

I think the Lambda's will be the first "full-mode" hybrid system from GM, and are being set up to adapt to hydrogen in the near future.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
They are bad *** and true to the concept. One look at the Chevy Lambda screams "spaceship" to me. Looks very futuristic. Seats 8 people, COMFORTABLY, yet provides car-like fuel economy as you've pointed out Charlie.

I think the Lambda's will be the first "full-mode" hybrid system from GM, and are being set up to adapt to hydrogen in the near future.
Was the Chevy Lambda in one of those pics that were recently discovered Josh?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452

Wait I thought Chevy was getting the minivan at Lambda's launch and Buick, GMC, and Saturn were getting the xovers.

Josh you need to start letting others in on your pic sharing parties you seem to have seen the whole 06 show season in October.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 PM

I'm not trying to be sued by GM, however they refuse acknowledge we exist due to other sites ruining the party.

No calls or emails from Securitas are wanted, nor warrented. No details will be given or "leaked" in anyway. Don't want to **** the big guys off.

They look futuristic and they look like winners. I've said it for quite sometime, the 2007 MY - 2010 will be historic. It will be the most telling time for General Motors as a company. If the public does not react to these products something is seriously wrong.

Oh, and one other mention. I've not shown any images to anybody. No, sir. Not, I. No "pic sharing parties" were had by myself or any of my staff members on C&G. Hell, they haven't even seen anything.

Last edited by Josh452; 10-20-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

I deleted the other one. I couldn't fix the spelling error that unvc92camarors
pointed out.
So what'd you do to my post then?
All of a sudden disappeared.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Believe the Chevy Lambda Josh is referring to is the minivan replacement, which, it was said in an article, would follow a spaceship style design [there will still be more than one minivan variant]. Great to hear what Josh has said about the design--this is the first I've heard someone mention the Chevy Lambda, and Josh has said good things about it--great. I don't expect that one to be shown sometime soon. Ah-ha has said at C&G the Buick Lambda looks a lot like Centieme and Velite, gorgeous concepts imo. HE has also said it is the most distinctive with the Saturn and GMC being very sharp. Reportedly the GMC Acadia [name for the GMC LAmbda] will share a lot with the Graphyte concept. Other insiders have said the best is yet to come, and the Lambda interiors will strongly overshadow the recently released Tahoe interiors.....they said we haven't seen anything yet...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:05 PM

So, are these Chrysler Pacifica type vehicles? Or still more of a minivan in terms of seating position etc ...
Old 10-21-2005, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jwade95Z
So, are these Chrysler Pacifica type vehicles? Or still more of a minivan in terms of seating position etc ...
I figure - think Pacifica, with room for 2 more people and an available V8.

Quick Reply: Lambda, the next big thing.