Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Kutr Ritter a Benedict Arnold!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 06:36 AM

Kutr Ritter a Benedict Arnold!

I can understand being mad because you didn't get the post you wanted at GM, however going this far out your way to work for the enemy is just wrong IMO. I also blame Toyota in this mess because they are helping him set up his consultancy simply to milk him for knowlege of GM.

From the Car Connection..
DAILY IN DEPTHDAILY IN DEPTH

Behind the Ritter Fiasco at Toyota

DETROIT — Ad agency holding company Publicis has caved in to General Motors’ demands that its Saatchi & Saatchi unit not go forward with hiring former Chevrolet general manger Kurt Ritter as head of its Los Angeles office and thus its Toyota business.

Publicis owns the agency that handles Pontiac, Cadillac and what's left of the Oldsmobile ad business, as well as extensive public relations business with GM. But Ritter, having burned his bridges at GM, is founding a consultancy in L.A. with Toyota as his main and possibly only client, accomplishing the same objective of advising Toyota on market development issues, especially the expansion of Toyota's pickup truck business. Sources say that after GM ad chief C.J. Fraleigh last month publicly blasted Publicis for poaching Ritter, the company was told directly that it risked losing much of GM's business in the future if Ritter took the job.

Ritter's consultancy is little more than a paper shuffle financed by Toyota and Publicis to placate GM. GM has more than $375 million in ad and PR billings at Publicis in the U.S. Toyota has more than $600 million with the agency.

Publicis has been on shaky ground with GM in recent years. The agency was told last year it would lose the Cadillac business if it didn't hire better creative talent for the business, which it did. And its Pontiac work has been openly criticized by GM product boss Bob Lutz. "Either they (Publicis) didn't value our business, or were too stupid to know that we would be angry about this, and either way, they put themselves in a hole," said one high-ranking GM executive on Tuesday.

Ritter worked for GM for over 30 years. As Toyota ramps up and gets serious about selling more than 300,000 Tundra pickups a year after a new plant is built in San Antonio, Texas and increasing its SUV production, Ritter's storehouse of knowledge about dealers, local and regional markets and GM's own product plan will be invaluable to Toyota as it tries to get taken more seriously by hardcore truck buyers and grab share from GM.

Though his work for Toyota has been billed as shaping "overall marketing direction," Ritter, in fact, is not considered a strong marketing mind inside GM. He inherited the "Like A Rock" brand positioning for Chevy trucks and only in the last year showed signs of fixing a Chevy passenger car marketing plan that was as bollixed as its product plan. It was Ritter, for example, who insisted the Malibu name, for example, be carried on a new vehicle built on GM Epsilon architecture, launching this fall, that is far superior to the existing Malibu. And the "We'll be There" advertising for Chevy passenger cars took two years to generate any laudatory work. Chevy has been an also-ran to Toyota in the car market with an aging Cavalier, an imageless Malibu and an overachieving Impala. But Chevy will launch 9 new models in the next 20 months. —Jim Burt
Old 06-25-2003, 07:33 AM

How is going to a competitor equivalent to being a traitor? Last time I checked, that's how a free market works - the possibility that I might walk next door to a competitor will hopefully compel my employer to keep me happy.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Eric Bryant
How is going to a competitor equivalent to being a traitor? Last time I checked, that's how a free market works - the possibility that I might walk next door to a competitor will hopefully compel my employer to keep me happy.
Its the fact that he probaly sharing future product plans that disturbs me.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:45 AM
cmc

GM should have had him sign a contract about that. It's their fault if Toyota gets the secret product info.
Old 06-25-2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Eric Bryant
Exactly. So what is Bob Lutz then?
Old 06-25-2003, 10:31 AM

Guys, its not whats someone has the abilty to do, its all about business and moral ethics.

Now, i see this issue under two lights.

1. Someone leaves a company on their own, to work for a direct competitor. This is wrong.
2. Someone is fired, then goes to work for a direct competitor. This is fine.

The fact that Ritter is making such a stink about working for Toyota irks me as well. It just doesn't seem very ethical.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Mervz
Guys, its not whats someone has the abilty to do, its all about business and moral ethics.

Now, i see this issue under two lights.

1. Someone leaves a company on their own, to work for a direct competitor. This is wrong.
2. Someone is fired, then goes to work for a direct competitor. This is fine.

The fact that Ritter is making such a stink about working for Toyota irks me as well. It just doesn't seem very ethical.
Also I don't see how GM stiffed him in making him GM of Pontiac GMC and Buick? May not have the presitge of Chevy or Cadillac...but still postition many would kill for.

Also what did he do in his time at Chevy? Over saw making the brand the most boring in the country. Sure he didn't have his hands many of the decisions, but none the less he was short of noteworthy or outstanding.

Also just because he "was a fan of a new Camaro" doesn't mean crap untill you produce. Also for the record his replacement at Chevy is also a big Camaro fan and has said so in interviews. I think everyone wants a new Camaro at GM, but the need to do it correctly and not at the expense of core products takes precedence here. That is why the Camaro is last in the pipline of the new RWD cars. GM has it's long term financial viability on the line right now with its upcoming core products. If these products fail to gain market share and the stock market stays in the can it's pension plan will eat it alive and bankrupt it.

end rant
Old 06-25-2003, 10:46 AM

If I'm not mistaken, GM at the moment is chock full of people brought in by GM itself from other companies in design, engineering, manufacturing as well as marketing.

It's not like the guy who left GM's purchasing department some years ago, went to Volkswagen, and essentially sold out GM's secrets. Anything Kurt Ritter may have on GM is most likely bound by confidentality contracts that resulted from that episode.

Also, BEFORE we start labeling somone, and turning against them, I think we should remember, if it wasn't for Kurt Ritter, we wouldn't have a Camaro in the pipeline, and we wouldn't have a RWD sedan pending at Chevrolet.

If it was up to GM (as a whole), your Camaro today would be a derivitive of the Chevrolet Malibu.

No...I'm not kidding.

Last edited by guionM; 06-25-2003 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:38 AM

The guy got stiffed for a promotion, and he decided to quit. How do we know he would give Toyota any inside dirt on GM? Bottom line is we don't, and as stated Mr. Ritter is most likely bound by contract to not disclose details of future products.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by guionM
It's not like the guy who left GM's purchasing department some years ago, went to Volkswagen, and essentially sold out GM's secrets. Anything Kurt Ritter may have on GM is most likely bound by confidentality contracts that resulted from that episode.

[/B]
Jutrus (sp) was a whole differnt story. He totally messed up GM's engineering and purchases. I don't think GM minded he left.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:59 PM

It's not like the guy who left GM's purchasing department some years ago, went to Volkswagen, and essentially sold out GM's secrets.
Somebody should have put a hit on Perez before he had the chance to turn yet another OEM into a bloodsucking monster that primarly exists to chew up and spit out suppliers. But, in the long term, his departure probably helped GM.

I don't see a problem with going to a competitor, especially not by the time you get to the OEM level. I mean, where else in the business world would you fit in? This sort of shuffling is pretty typical, and can definitely be healthy for all the parties involved over the long term.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by formula79
Its the fact that he probaly sharing future product plans that disturbs me.
Why? It's not like Toyota is going to bring back the Camaro.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:58 PM
Disciple

Originally posted by Sixer-Bird
The guy got stiffed for a promotion, and he decided to quit. How do we know he would give Toyota any inside dirt on GM? Bottom line is we don't, and as stated Mr. Ritter is most likely bound by contract to not disclose details of future products.
I suspect GM's secrets will be of little value to Toyota as they continue to bulldoze through the market segment by segment ...earning record profits along the way.

Now if a bigwig at Toyota defected to GM ......
Old 06-25-2003, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by jg95z28
Why? It's not like Toyota is going to bring back the Camaro.
I am refering to the truck segement where Toyota and GM are very strong.

GM arguably has a technological lead here with 4 wheel steering, displacement on demand, ect. If he gives Toyota warning on when these new features are gonna be introduced Toyota could match GM taking away percieved advantage.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:53 PM

Also, BEFORE we start labeling somone, and turning against them, I think we should remember, if it wasn't for Kurt Ritter, we wouldn't have a Camaro in the pipeline, and we wouldn't have a RWD sedan pending at Chevrolet.

If it was up to GM (as a whole), your Camaro today would be a derivitive of the Chevrolet Malibu.

No...I'm not kidding.
Thats not even funny. I can't believe that morons in there still think like that. I also didn't know that guy did all that. Maybe they should try to get him back. Hows the new guy doing??

Quick Reply: Kutr Ritter a Benedict Arnold!