Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Just my feelings on "the morning after"

Old 08-28-2002, 02:14 PM

Post Just my feelings on "the morning after"

I was out cruising around in my 85 firebird today, looking for f-bodies, and seeing about as many as I usually do.. but the feeling in the air (unbeknownst to 90% of those f-body drivers out there) is one of desolation.. profound emptiness.. like a good friend has just suddenly been murdered and the killer had planned it long in advance and you didn't really get to say goodbyes.

For 35 years now, countless F-bodies have been 1) built, 2) bought, 3) lived a life to be envied, 4) abused, 5) killed, 6) reborn. That last step, rebirth.. that is the whole key to ensuring a steady stream of newborns to commemorate the old veterans that have died. Something to think about.. from now on there is no new stream of replenishment; no newborns. It's over. What's out there is all you get. The number of F-bodies out there right now is the maximum you will ever see, so go out right now and enjoy the variety and the heritage while it's still there. Every single day, hundreds of F-bodies get put out of commission, or wrecked, totalled, crushed at the junkyard. Roadworthy F-bodies even as we speak are slowly but surely vanishing. Love & appreciate what you have while you have it, because many of you will switch to different cars sooner or later.

It really is the end of an era, right now, today. TODAY IS THE RESULT OF ASTONISHINGLY BAD DECISIONS AND COMPLETE LACK OF FORESIGHT ON THE PART OF VERY FEW DISTINCT INDIVIDUALS AT GM, AND THE ABSENCE OF ANYONE WITH THE LIGHT OF REASON TO GUIDE THEM OTHERWISE. Just wait until the books come out to tell the story. GM's future campaigns with stolen nameplates pasted on dysfunctional designs will surely try to make us numb and make us forget, like an overdose of morphine to a fatal stomach wound, but *nothing* they try to offer will reverse or replace the things we feel right now. I can't believe how EMPTY it feels today, and can't imagine having to feel it every day from now on.

------------------
1982 Recaro Trans Am (Y84), LU5/WS6/CC1/G80/J65/etc. 3,082 orig. miles (7/24/2002) - http://ohok.com/82recaro
1985 Base Firebird, F41/LB8/GU6/etc. CB radio, 142kmiles. http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsfb.jpg
1984 Firebird S/E, WS6/LL1/MD8/etc. All original, 102kmiles. Sold 5/02 http://ohok.com/82recaro/kizzsse.jpg
Old 08-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Disciple

Mission Statement:
http://thanks.f-body.com/mission.html

Post your message of thanks:
http://thanks.f-body.com/submit_post.html

------------------
Teri Heino
'99 SS Convertible
'90 5.7 IROC
'69 RS 502/502 Coupe
'68 V8 TPI Coupe
'68 V8 TB Convertible
'67 230, 6-cyl Convertible

SSOA & WCA
http://thanks.f-body.com

Teri Heino
Register for: The F-Body Gathering in Bowling Green, KY. Sept. 20-22nd, 2002.
Special activities for a limited # of SSOA members, Thursday 9/19/02 - RSVP required.
SSOA homepage/membership benefits

SSOA Membership Application: Adobe Acrobat.PDF or Word.doc
http://www.mcgeesauto.com/Bellevue_2001/htwlss_th.jpg
1999 SS #0069's story (and everything else).
Old 08-28-2002, 04:11 PM

amen brother.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:01 PM

Unhappy

Well said....

------------------
Black 1999 Z28 Camaro Hardtop M6,Royal Purple,Whisper Lid,K@N,FRA MOD,CAGS,BMR Subframes,Flowtech Cutout,Flowmaster Muffler,4.10 Gear,T/A Girdle,Auto Meter Shift Light,Nitto's, MAC Headers & MAC Cats, Star Stage 2 clutch, 4' Glasstech Cowl Hood
Old 08-28-2002, 09:20 PM

This is the 2nd (or even 3rd) time for me.

I owned a T-Bird SC when they stopped making them in 95, then stopped Thunderbird all together in 97, and now Camaro.

Feeling abit like the angel of death here.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:35 PM

Unhappy

**** I am getting really sad now!
Old 08-28-2002, 09:39 PM

Good post friend.

As a 16 year old kid, I ran the gamut of car companys before I settled on the GM path. It was a 74 Firebird Espirit with a two barrel 350 that made me a F-body buyer for the next two decades. It was a one-owner beater with 75,000 hard Louisana (rust)miles. In it's stock (hubcaps) form, it ran the pants off of many cars in my high school. Nissans were just starting to appear with rims and aero kits, but the girls still identified with the Camaros and Firebirds. It was the cool car to own, and it was relatively easy to take care of. Over the next few years I would own a couple of TAs, and a Formula. The 455 SD that I dropped in the white 77 TA was the thing that dreams are made of. Damn that car was fast.

Three years of stomping around in snow up to my butt in Germany had me longing for a TA again. No cars were allowed for single enlisted troops as we were the border patrol, and we needed to stay close in case the communist hordes attacked .
I couldn't wait until my tour ended, and I was back at home with "normal" cars. At the same time, I grew fond of the way that even the lowest grade German car (Ford Tranus)handled. At Fort Knox I found a bondo queen 76 Formula. A strong running 400, and a rotted body for $700. I was in love again. When I started college in Louisville, I convinced my new German bride that we needed a "base v8" 3rd gen. I bought the 86 TA after ten minutes of driving. Not eaxctly base, but even the wife was goo-goo for it. This thing handled like a vette used to!

Space doesn't allow for all of my car stories. The fact of the F-body demise is certainly painful for me, as for most of my adult life, it's been the only vehicle that I have driven. I know that Scott and the others at GM (that feel like us)are fighting for a new program. I have had the pleasure to speak to Scott, I can share that he is the most genuine person that you will meet. He certainly made my day when he he called me over a holiday, on his own dime, just to chat about our great cars. When he says "be patient", it is with his heart. It's been his life too. GM is a big company, and they need to make as much money as possible to satisfy the shareholders. They know that the baby boomers are becoming "empty nesters", and they are going to capitalize on that fact. Why are we seeing the return of the GTO at this point? Think about it. Let Nissan roll out the 350. Bring back the Supra. It will just make the new car that much better, and it will help to spur the desire for American muscle to return. It just stands to reason. Boomers, and early Xers will be springing for a newer (probably retro) f-body in a couple of years by the tens of thousands. It will happen, and it will be a smashing success. It's just hard to be patient. Until that day comes, just keep changing the oil and buying tires for the F-bod in your garage. I'll be starting a savings account for that new car tomorrow.

The F-bod is dead.
Long live the F-bod!

------------------
2000 SS #6041
A4, 3.23,
HPP, 160Stat, !EGR,descreened MAF, Baker Hose
13.30 @ 104.89

Previous GM: 74 Firebird, 74 T/A, (2) 76 Formulas, 77 Formula, (2)77 T/As, 79 T/A, (2)86 T/As, 87 Formula, 88 Formula, 84
Vette, 93 Z28, 93 Formula, 76 SE T/A, 96 SS