Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Is it just me or is GM just blowing smoke up our a$$?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 05:15 PM

Post Is it just me or is GM just blowing smoke up our a$$?

I know this is a wierd topic for me to post, but I am starting to feel that way on a few thinks. First off I remember reading how like 4 years ago Jim Moss was the head of GM's SVT like entity..then two years ago it shifted and now is with Mark Reuss. Here is my question...these groups have been around for years and not on single thing besides maybe the Impala SS has come out of it, and that was on Moss's watch. I am starting to get iritated because every few months GM sends Reuss to the podium or an interview...and he gets us all worked up...like the Autoweek article and....nothing happens. GM says they want a performance group...yet in the like 1-2 years that Reuss has been at the helm there has been no evidence of even a concept car. Maybe I am wrong with this, but i would really hold off an excitement when it comes to a performance group till you see results.

------------------
Branden-Founder www.GMInsidenews.com
The #1 GM News Site on the Net!
1995 Firebird A4
White with red leather
1979 Firebird Formula SOLD!!! 8/2001
Visit my homepage!
Old 07-13-2002, 05:58 PM
cmc

I've also noticed that Jon Moss does not seem to have much if any real power at GM anymore.
Old 07-13-2002, 08:48 PM

Jon Moss was & as far as I know still is the one man division of GM that deals with concepts (based on existing vehicles) and specialty cars. Not SVO or PVO specialty cars, but ideas from other GM divisions that they want to explore for production or just to display at shows. Jon Moss was never head of any "performance division" in the way I think you mean.

He or another GM division comes up with an idea. He then requisitions a car, contracts out the work (either within GM or with an outside supplier) & oversees the project.

The work he does will in fact, be absorbed into GM's new performance division.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:06 PM

John Moss has mentioned publicly that he will be retiring soon. It makes perfect sense to have Ruess take over certain responsibilities before Moss leaves.

What Ruess can or cannot do is partially dictated by GM earnings as well as cash flow. The lending side of the house has been giving up considerable cash flow to prop up the sales of cars and trucks in the U.S. Don't blame Ruess or Moss for issues that are endemic to the economy.

Therefore, to answer your question, it is you.

------------------
2000 SS #1547
President,
Cadre Computer Resources, Inc.
www.ccr.com