Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

"Just because the Mustang doesn't have competition".. WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:36 PM

"Just because the Mustang doesn't have competition".. WTF!

WTF! THis line in that Mustang commercial had me steamed!

FU!! Dang I can't wait till the new Camaro is out! I can't believe GM just handed the muscle car scene over to Ford! -Except the Vette of course...

Dang this commercial pisses me off!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 PM

So, your pissed at Ford for stating the obvious??? Or, you are pissed at GM for not giving Ford any competition???

BTW, the last I knew, the Vette was a sports car, not a muscle car.

Just 2 years left to wait (ok, 1.5-2).
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 PM

5 years without any competition and they're still behind. That's Bold Moves....
Old 06-05-2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by graham
5 years without any competition and they're still behind. That's Bold Moves....
Don't know about them being "behind". The GT isn't impressive but it doesn't have to be since it's their base performance model. The 03/04 Mach1's put up good numbers, and we all know about the 03/04 Cobra's and new GT500's.

I don't see why the commercial would **** anyone off or why that anger would be directed at Ford. They've had that segment all to themselves the last 5 years thanks to GM. But that's about to change...Competition is coming now in the form of Camaro and Challenger.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:02 AM

I found it funny. They are bragging that they have no competition, it just sounds funny to me. Not to mention the fact that if they had any, they most likely would not be ahead of it.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I found it funny. They are bragging that they have no competition, it just sounds funny to me. Not to mention the fact that if they had any, they most likely would not be ahead of it.

Just in sales,which is not important at all marc,is it.Just look at how camaro's low sales volume has kept it going all these years................oh wait,they stopped making camaro's back in '02 didn't they?Well, keep the chin up till '09 or '10.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:15 AM

There was a commercial back in 2003 or 2004 in which Ford claimed to be "the last ponycar standing", and a thread just like this was started then too.

Here we find ourselves almost 4 years later... with the same situation and the same ding-dongs complaining about the same things... no lessons learned, no ground gained. (And I wonder why the Chinese are kicking our @sses so badly in everything they do... when we can't even educate our own people on basic marketing and manufacturing principles with examples. )

Thank goodness GM has a good game plan for the next Camaro. For the first time in a long time, I have far more confidence in GM's ability to bring out a car that can survive in the market, than I have in the people's ability to show GM what they want/need. For so long, GM crammed cars down our throats -kind of "like it or not, here it is". Now, I think GM actually has a better grip on what sells than do many of the people who will likely buy the product.
Goofy, huh?

Oh well. I'm not touching this thread again.
We passed this basic subject years ago.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
I think that simply assuming had there been some competition that Ford would be behind would be a mistake. The fourth gen LS1 cars were meeting their match in the Mach 1. In 2002 the 2003 Cobra showed up, and consolidated the fact that Ford wasn't willing to play #2 without a fight.

Let's assume there was a Camaro for sale today:
At the V6 level it would be anyone's game.

At the entry V8 level GM would have 400ish HP LS2 to Ford's 300ish HP 4.6.

BUT, at the high end, since GM doesn't have a Vette that trumps the Z06 yet, there most likely wouldn't be a 500 (+) horsepower Camaro on the market. Even if the Camaro was to get a LS7, the Camaro will be chasing a moving target. With Ford's plans to sell 650 ~ 750 horsepower Mustangs, will GM be willing to follow with the Camaro? My bet is on No. They will use the Corvette to compete with those Mustangs. At the end of the day, the Mustang will be top dog, just like it was in 2002 when the Camaro went away.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:52 AM

1) This commercial is old news.

2) Why should you really care what they say? It isn't like they aren't stating fact.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:39 AM

No reason to be angry at Ford in this case, but instead the nutless wonders at GM who were responsible for the death of the F-Body....
Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM

Damn that Chrylser. I thought the hemi cuda would be out any day now! Whats it been. 30 years

</sarcasm>
Old 06-06-2007, 10:26 AM

That commercial cracks me up. To me it says "Hey remember the Mustang? We're still going strong... please buy us."

I just got back from Las Vegas. The most common rental car on the strip was the Mustang Convertible. Then there's that new Autotrader.com ad featuring the Mustang. Sounds to me like Hertz is the only one buying them.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gunny Highway
You know, I was around in 2002 and I don't ever remember any Mustang out running a F-body. Yeah, the Cobra was king in 03, but it was the king of nothing. It had no subjects to rule over. It's kind of like the old saying, "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."
The Cobra was on the showroom floor at the same time that the '02 F twins were still being produced. I love the "even though they were sold at the same time the Cobra was a newer model year so it doesn't count" ricer style crap that
has been floating around on this board for the past 5 years
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM

IF the F-body soldiered on into the 2003 model year, does anyone really think GM would've kept it ahead of the Cobra?

What engine would they even have had at that time to do it? The LS6 wouldn't have been up to the task in a 3500+ pound F-body.....

Quit whining. Ford dropped the A-bomb with the 2003 Cobra. Doesn't mean the 5th Gen can't answer it though. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
IF the F-body soldiered on into the 2003 model year, does anyone really think GM would've kept it ahead of the Cobra?

What engine would they even have had at that time to do it? The LS6 wouldn't have been up to the task in a 3500+ pound F-body.....

Quit whining. Ford dropped the A-bomb with the 2003 Cobra. Doesn't mean the 5th Gen can't answer it though. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride!
x 2. As much of a Camaro fan that I am and as much as I dislike Mustangs, I can see that the '03 Cobra is a superior car performance wise. Hell, there's a lot of cars that are faster than my Z-28 but you don't see me getting my panties in a wad over it. GM gave you a great platform with the LS1 Camaro...if you want to beat a Cobra, throw some mods at your F-body and do the deed.

Quick Reply: "Just because the Mustang doesn't have competition".. WTF!