Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

JD Power Appeal survey

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

JD Power Appeal survey

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/09/21/...eal/index.html

interesting, i wouldn't have though KIA would have done so well.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Kia, sister-brand to Korea-based Hyundai, topped two categories in the latest J.D. Power and Associates APEAL survey.

The Honda Ridgeline was the most-liked midsized pickup and the Ford Mustang was the most-liked sporty car in the survey, which asked owners of brand-new cars to rate eight different aspects of their vehicle's appearance, design and performance.

The Kia Amanti was the top-ranked "Premium midsize car" in the survey and the Kia Sportage was the top-ranked "Entry SUV." (The discontinued Pontiac Aztek placed third, after the Nissan Xterra, in the "Entry SUV" category.)

i'd have to be a company that placed lower than the aztek.

The lowest-scoring brand overall was GM's Saturn with a score of 827. Suzuki and Subaru were second and third worst, with scores of 828 and 830 respectively. DaimlerChrysler's Jeep brand was fourth worst, with a score of 833.
ouch, all 3 of those are GM or majority owned GM brands
Old 09-23-2005, 11:52 AM

Re: JD Power Appeal survey

"The top auto brand overall was Porsche, with a score of 908. Land Rover was second with 906, Lexus third with 905 and Jaguar fourth with 902.
General Motors' Hummer and Cadillac divisions were the two highest placing U.S.-based brands with scores of 897 and 896 respectively."

Holy Cow.

First Question - How did Land Rover get so high so fast?
Second Question - How did Jag even slip into the top 5?
Third Question - How did Land Rover and Jag BOTH finish ahead of Caddy and Buick?
Fourth Question - Where the h3ll is Buick anyways?
Fifth Question - Which school of 3rd graders did they choose to poll this year?!?!

I won't even start on the styling of the Kia and Hyundai SUV's...

Itypically don't have a big issue with JD Powers' reports - they are not Consumer Reports, but they are typically not far out. But this one really blows me away.

Color me ---->
Old 09-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Color me ---->
With ya on that one!

However GM did take top spots in 5 catagories...
Entry midsize car: Pontiac G6
Premium sports car: Chevrolet Corvette
Light-duty full-size pick-up: Cadillac Escalade EXT
Heavy-duty full-size pick-up: GMC Sierra HD
Full-size van: Chevrolet Express
Old 09-23-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
Full-size van: Chevrolet Express
That's pretty much a give-away category right there.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
Color me ---->
I agree. Ridgeline owners really like their 4x4 Accords eh? All 6 of them?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Threxx
That's pretty much a give-away category right there.
the only real competition is the ford econoline
Old 09-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi
ouch, all 3 of those are GM or majority owned GM brands
Actually GM is a minority stake holder in both Suzuki and Subaru. Subaru, or rather Fujitsu Heavy Industry (Subaru's parent company), is 30% held by GM but that is it.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I agree. Ridgeline owners really like their 4x4 Accords eh? All 6 of them?
For the 100th time, it's an Accord unibody structure, expanded and reenforced, and THEN a body on frame chassis to compliment it all.

It's a truck chassis re-enforced by an Accord unibody. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:01 PM

Proud,

Remember that this is the APEAL survey. Basically it asks customers how they like their cars. Power, performance, styling, features, etc. It is not the same survey as the J.D. Power Quality Surveys, which track problems had with vehicles.

I don't think Range Rover is near the top of the Quality Survey.

Also, anasazi and 91_Z28_4me, I think GM owns 20% (not 30%) of Fuji Heavy, which is the parent company of Subaru. They do their own thing.

I'm surprised that Subaru, Saturn, and Jeep scored low on this survey. Their owners tend to be kind of brand loyal, or so I would have thought.

If I had spent 80 grand on a stupid Range Rover or Porsche, I'd damn well better be happy with the vehicle!!
Old 09-23-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
I'm surprised that Subaru, Saturn, and Jeep scored low on this survey. Their owners tend to be kind of brand loyal, or so I would have thought.

If I had spent 80 grand on a stupid Range Rover or Porsche, I'd damn well better be happy with the vehicle!!
I'm not so surprised by Saturn, since what they have sold (up to present day) have been appliances, a fact that their friends are probably all to happy to point out. The Aura and Sky are still not here. Hopefully that will change.

Agreed, Subaru and Jeep are a bit of a surprise.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Banned

Also, anasazi and 91_Z28_4me, I think GM owns 20% (not 30%) of Fuji Heavy, which is the parent company of Subaru. They do their own thing.

yes only 20%, but isn't that majority share? no one owns more than 20%?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by anasazi
yes only 20%, but isn't that majority share? no one owns more than 20%?
I don't think it is a controlling share. It couldn't be a "majority", could it? Majority means over 50%; plurality would be the case where you have the largest share of something (like 40% vs. 30% vs. 30%). But anyway, I know what you meant. I don't think GM is the controlling interest. Both corporate websites list it as an "alliance" or "partner company". GM actually distinguishes between that scenario and the GM Daewoo situation, for example, where GM went in and basically bought them out in order to have a presence in Korea.

Originally Posted by GM's Corporate Website
Developing partnerships around the world.

The GM Group of global partners includes Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., Isuzu Motors Ltd. and Suzuki Motor Corp. of Japan, which are involved in various product, powertrain and purchasing collaborations. In addition, GM is the largest shareholder in GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. of South Korea. GM also has technology collaborations with BMW AG of Germany and Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, and vehicle manufacturing ventures with several automakers around the world, including Toyota, Suzuki, Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp. of China, AVTOVAZ of Russia and Renault SA of France.
I think that helps a little; I'm not going to dig more, but I'm sure you can find the details of the agreement somewhere on the web.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:58 PM

For the 100th time, it's an Accord unibody structure, expanded and reenforced, and THEN a body on frame chassis to compliment it all.

It's a truck chassis re-enforced by an Accord unibody. Best of both worlds.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Banned

I don't think it is a controlling share. It couldn't be a "majority", could it? Majority means over 50%; plurality would be the case where you have the largest share of something (like 40% vs. 30% vs. 30%). But anyway, I know what you meant. I don't think GM is the controlling interest. Both corporate websites list it as an "alliance" or "partner company". GM actually distinguishes between that scenario and the GM Daewoo situation, for example, where GM went in and basically bought them out in order to have a presence in Korea.

I think that helps a little; I'm not going to dig more, but I'm sure you can find the details of the agreement somewhere on the web.
hmm interesting, definantly didn't realize that. good post.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 PM

So what you're saying is that it is an accord unibody structure? Just checking. <----That means im only kidding.

Quick Reply: JD Power Appeal survey