Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Jaguar backs out of Lutz's CTS-V challenge.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
Other than using a specific pad , I dont hear many complaints about Corvette brakes and further more dont see many folks who autox and roadrace them regularly upgrading beyond the typical fluid , lines and pad compound and in the case of the Z51 and Z06 the smarter guys ditch the crossdrilled rotors for blanks without holes or slots << were talking guys that race them regularly not people who cruise it on the weekend . The tire rack is local so theres a metric ton of corvette racers that pass thru this city during the race season . Ive never even heard a member of the press knock a vette for not having 4 piston fixed calipers , not even a hint of it .

...different strokes I suppose .
I knew a few folks who raced in T1 class in SCCA. What you allude to corresponds with what those folks told me.

We developed a more robust rotor for the class and homogated them, but most racers wouldn't run them as there was a weight disadvantage.

Last edited by 1fastdog; 10-28-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM

Dang, talk about thread hijacks?

How on earth did Jaguar putting their tail between their legs and dropping out of the Bob Lutz/CTS-V challenge turn into a debate about whether or not the base Corvette has ample brakes?
Old 10-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Dang, talk about thread hijacks?

How on earth did Jaguar putting their tail between their legs and dropping out of the Bob Lutz/CTS-V challenge turn into a debate about whether or not the base Corvette has ample brakes?
Some of the people in here are carrying on a conversation that started in the "Please, GM, fix the corvette" thread.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Some of the people in here are carrying on a conversation that started in the "Please, GM, fix the corvette" thread.
Well, for my participation in assisting a "hijack", I apologize.

For atonement I will offer, When the flag drops... the bull$hit stops.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mdenz3
Old 10-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Hmmm. I admit that I thought it was quite a risk that GM was taking making such a bold statement and putting a high ranking (and arguably very important) executive behind the wheel in a CTS-V vs all racing challenge, but perhaps this may work out for them.

The internet community spreads information very fast and can help to shape a brand's image, especially in an enthusiast-oriented market like luxury performance sedans. I already see a lot of jokes at the expense of Mercedes and Jaguar who have backed out, and a lot of props given to Cadillac that they put their money where their mouth is.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
As posted in the other thread...floating two piston setup..when tracked hard they get hot and expand loosing braking power and feel. A 4 piston setup brakes from both sides of the rotor reducing fade. The base Corvette's brakes may be okay in that they do actually stop the car..but they are outdated on a $50K sports coupe. The only reason the calipers are passable on the C6 is that the car is so light. The 05-06 GTO has the same calipers on it as the C6 (even uses the same brake pads), yet blows through rotors and pads like you would not beleive because the brakes are not up to the task. I think if someone tracked a base C6 regularly they would find the same.
GTOs weigh about 600 pounds more than Corvettes. Do you really expect them to perform the same on GTOs as they do on Vettes?

May as well complain about brakes on a Mini Cooper by complaining about how they hold up in a Suburban.

Not sure how Corvette's brakes are "outdated", or how they are merely "passable" on a Corvette. Especially one that consistantly brakes in 110 feet or less from 60, and has no issue with fade.

Fade is created by excessive extreme use.

All disc brakes brake "from both sides" of the rotor.

4 pistons apply more grip, has little to do with fade in and of itself.

Stick a 4 piston caliper from a Camaro on a 9-10" rotor and bolt it to a 2 ton car and send it down a steep hill or around a track very quickly and you'll get fade like you've never seen.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

When BMW eventually coughs up an M3 for this contest, I'm really looking forward to reading (and hopefully watching video of) the results.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:51 PM

There will be M3 and M5's there , just not supplied by BMW ...they are on the private owners list of approved competitors .
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by OutsiderIROC-Z
The majority of the people who buy Corvettes don't need brakes that handle anymore than the occasional Sunday drive down to coffee hour...
I think that's besides the point... You might as well put a buick suspension that makes the vette handle like a boat because the majority of people don't drive beyond the sunday trip to church.

The point is that the Corvette is a world-class sports car. And as such it should have everything to match with its status.

Having said that, I think base Corvette brakes are fine.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by muckz
I think that's besides the point... You might as well put a buick suspension that makes the vette handle like a boat because the majority of people don't drive beyond the sunday trip to church.

The point is that the Corvette is a world-class sports car. And as such it should have everything to match with its status.

Having said that, I think base Corvette brakes are fine.
Point is, the Corvette doesn't have a weak suspension, nor weak sauce brakes on any model.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Point is, the Corvette doesn't have a weak suspension, nor weak sauce brakes on any model.
Corvette doesn't have a weak anything on any model.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
You shouldn't be quoting me in your reply. You're preaching to the choir here.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
As posted in the other thread...floating two piston setup..when tracked hard they get hot and expand loosing braking power and feel. A 4 piston setup brakes from both sides of the rotor reducing fade. The base Corvette's brakes may be okay in that they do actually stop the car..but they are outdated on a $50K sports coupe. The only reason the calipers are passable on the C6 is that the car is so light. The 05-06 GTO has the same calipers on it as the C6 (even uses the same brake pads), yet blows through rotors and pads like you would not beleive because the brakes are not up to the task. I think if someone tracked a base C6 regularly they would find the same.
You're putting them in the $50k class, but you're forgetting what they do that no other $50k car can do. They are in the $100k performance class yet only cost $50k. Some other $50k cars may have slightly bigger breaks, but they get eaten alive by the C6 regardless of it's breaking options.

Quick Reply: Jaguar backs out of Lutz's CTS-V challenge.