Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Interesting observation at the Dallas Auto Show...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Interesting observation at the Dallas Auto Show...

The fam damily and I made our annual pilgramage last night. Interestingly, from my unscientific observations, the car that had the biggest draw was not the ZR-1, not the CTSV, not the hybrid Escalade, but believe it or not...the G8! They had 2, and the floor model you couldn't even get near it. Though the lack of attention on the Corvette side made it that much nicer for me to check out the blue ZR-1...awesome car, I could see doing that widebody on mine someday .

No Camaro, but I did see 1fastdog there! We chatted it up for a few mins, but my daughter was getting tired and fussy, so we had to leave a little before I wanted to. All in all, a pretty good show. The Bullet Mustang was nice, certainly a more faithful representation of the original car than the 2001 was. The new F150 styling just got weirder. Wifey liked the Malibu again. Ferrari had an F430 vert and a 612 Scaglietti. AM had some DB9's, Bond's car, very nice. Oh yeah, and the Solstice coupe was there. That thing is pretty cool! It was a silver GXP version, and I'll tell you, if I didn't have the vette coming, I would be VERY interested in that car, it looked great. I hope they do a similar thing for the Sky, that would just be incredible looking IMO.

All in all, a good time, good show if you're looking for something to do in DFW this weekend.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 PM

you couldnt get in the G8? it was open in NYC
Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM

Maybe he means he couldn't get near it because there were so many people around it
Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by My Red 93Z-28
Maybe he means he couldn't get near it because there were so many people around it
Yep. At least a dozen on the business side (the drivers side). Why wait through that when the Z06 was available
Old 04-06-2008, 08:41 AM
West South Central Moderator

I'm disappointed that there wasn't a Camaro was the CTS Coupe there? I'm very strongly considering making the drive out there today and staying until after it closes. I went in 2003 or 2004 when the C6 was first shown. My now-wife and I went with a friend and stuck around outside after closing for a little while. We got to see millions of dollars of exotics and concept cars driving on the street. I'd like to get a chance to see the ZR1 on the street this year.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:42 AM

No CTS coupe or Camaro. But they had the blue ZR-1, a ZR-1 chassis cutaway car, a blue Z06, a yellow coupe w/ the top off, and an orange vert that you could get your picture taken in. That and the 2 vettes flying in the sky. On the Caddy side, they had the new CTSv, and STSv, along w/ plenty of new CTSs to play with. Pontiac had the G8, one of which you could get in. They also had the Solstice GXP Targa, which was pretty cool! There may have been some, but I don't recall ANY conceptual stuff from GM, only the aforementioned '09 spec stuff.

All in all it was a good show. I'd go if you're looking for something to do.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm going, but I started watching Batman Returns. Early 90s Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman. Meow. Yep...
Old 04-07-2008, 07:16 PM

GM: From what I saw the ZR1 had decent traffic around it at the show but when I would go by Pontiac I saw very few people looking at the G8 Ute or car. I got right in the G8 first time I went by it. NIce car, but I want a coupe with GTO name back on it. They could get it right this time, I still feel the last GTO was DOA.

I love the ZR1, the price is okay, but it is so limited unless you have really big bucks who can get one? It also bothers me that the GTR is so much cheaper, did what is did at the ring, and I feel Chevy, the big red F, and the german guys should be really scared of it.

Ford: The Bullitt was just passed over. As a former Bullitt owner who really loved his 01 I would not buy the new one. I am not getting the pasion vibe at all from it.

People were making fun of the Dallas Cowboy's Shelby. It really sucked.

The new F150 got the most truck attention...big surprise LOL.

The wagon like crossover that I can't remember the name of might be cool...depends on the price. Kinda had a woodie vibe.

The company now run by IDIOTS: The Challanger had traffic but I kept hearing people looking at it mention the Camaro, and I am not a die hard like many of you on here. I found that very interesting and scary for Dodge. I really liked it and it might be the one I buy (I am not buying anything until the Camaro, Challenger, and redo stang are out and I get to drive all of them).

The new Daytona stripes are yucky, and they need to freshion up the 300 etc. but the monkey from Home Depot won't get it right.

I hope RIP will not be on the stock certs in the future...

Nissan, the one eastern company I dig: The car that I saw crowds around at all times was the Nissan GTR. I really liked it.

The others: The Scion display was kinda cool, but I still don't get the modern Divco Milk truck XB. The coupe is not bad looking though.

Honda...blah.

The Acura four door people keep talking about...double blah.

The G37 is a very nice car.

I don't like BMW's right now...so I did not get to excited in that area...but the M3 looks good. It will make the beamer crowd happy.

The DBS hooked me big time.

The 57 vette with the slicks brings home the point that vintage vette owners need to stop being numbers matching wimps and hot rod some of those cars...nobody was scared to do it in the 60's.

Yep...the ZR1 and the GTR were the winners for me.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 AM

I went and had a good time. I got there late and just walked in. I saw all the cars I wanted to see that were there. No Camaro (filming Transformers 2), CTS Coupe or Vipers though Lots of nice cars coming soon.

The Hyundai Genesis sedan looks like a cheap Mercedes knock-off in the front and BMW in the rear, but the coupe looks like a good successor to the Tiburon (especially if they decide to include the V8.)

The Nissan GT-R does look MUCH better in person than in pictures, but the one they had was a pusher. I've got a picture of it being pushed out

GM had a good showing. The Corvette ZR1 is a mean ****, but the exhaust is very tame at idle and very low speeds. The Carbon Fiber looks very nice on it. They had 2 Corvettes "flying" overhead, but I found out later that they didn't have a drivetrain or even real brakes. The Cadillac CTS-V is nice and should be a rocket. Pontiac had red a G8 GT on the floor. One of those might replace my wife's Impala someday.. They also had a G8 ST (Holden Ute) and I caught it outside also. The exhaust sounds better at idle than the ZR1 and the bed is big enough to be very useful. I just wish the tow rating was higher. Poncho also had the Solstice Targa. In pictures I was iffy about it. In person is is beautiful, but has a tiny hatch. I hope a Sky version follows.

The Dodge Challenger is a very nice looking car. "The carbon fiber" striping doesn't look good on dark grey and I think I like the concept's crosshair grille better than the production stuff. Jeep had a cool Trailhawk concept that looked like it would be fun to own.

A $270k V12 Aston Martin DBS broke down and backed up traffic going down one of the exits of the parking lot after the show.

Ferraris sound awesome at all speeds.

I'd post pictures and video, but I took my wife's digital camera and the autofocus SUCKS on it. It takes forever to take a picture, so when an object is moving on a turntable or around a parking lot, it is very blurry. Besides, you can find professional pictures all over the internet of everything.

BTW- My truck averaged 18.5MPG driving 80-90mph most of the way there then having to slow down for Dallas traffic. But it got 22mpg on the way home since I drove the speed limit and didn't have much traffic at all. I was impressed since it's only rated for 20mpg on the highway
Old 04-08-2008, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
No Camaro, but I did see 1fastdog there! We chatted it up for a few mins, but my daughter was getting tired and fussy, so we had to leave a little before I wanted to. All in all, a pretty good show.
It was great seeing you in Dallas! Hope you have a bit more time to chat next time around. I'm amazed you remember me from the Camaro unveil.