Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

If 8 speed autos are good then...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM

If 8 speed autos are good then...

obviously what would be better is a 9 speed automatic:

Chrysler has a whole cabinet full of pots on the fire, unleashing as it is a slew of heavily revised or completely new cars and trucks over the next couple of years. If you're thinking that this seems like a good time to leap-frog its way back to the head of the pack in terms of vehicle specification, we're right there with you.

And according to reports, so is Chrysler's new management from Italy. We've heard rumblings that the Fiat-controlled automaker will introduce an eight-speed automatic transmission for rear-wheel drive vehicles in 2012, and now rumors indicate that the Pentastar's next trick will be a nine-speed slushbox for its front-wheel drivers, which should have a suitably positive effect on fuel efficiency.

According to AutoWeek, both the eight- and nine-speed gearboxes will be adaptable for use in all-wheel-drive applications and will come ready to accept hybrid bits and pieces. As of now, there isn't any timetable on when we should expect to see the new nine-speeder.
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/17/r...or-fwd-models/

Maybe soon cars rival mountain bikes or semi trucks for number of gear ratios.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Law of diminishing returns comes to mind.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Guess I don't see the point...
Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM

About as usefull on the street as a 800hp GT500, I can imagine 2+ second lags ondownshifts. It seems the smarter our cars supposedly get the less feedback they give you. I punch the throttle in my wife's minivan and just wait for the tranny to respond, my old 88 Camaro I'd hit it and boom it would go(although not very fast but it did what u wanted it to do). We are in the days of over enginerring thanks to govt medling. Just think the old Honda CRX's of the 80's got 40mpg hwy and weighed 2400lb's, now to get that the Prius has to have battery's and motors, lol! The govt bitches about mpg then makes the manufacturers add hundreds of lb's of mandated safety gear then complains about the mpg, endless cycle.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
About as usefull on the street as a 800hp GT500, I can imagine 2+ second lags ondownshifts. It seems the smarter our cars supposedly get the less feedback they give you. I punch the throttle in my wife's minivan and just wait for the tranny to respond, my old 88 Camaro I'd hit it and boom it would go(although not very fast but it did what u wanted it to do). We are in the days of over enginerring thanks to govt medling. Just think the old Honda CRX's of the 80's got 40mpg hwy and weighed 2400lb's, now to get that the Prius has to have battery's and motors, lol! The govt bitches about mpg then makes the manufacturers add hundreds of lb's of mandated safety gear then complains about the mpg, endless cycle.
A lot of truths here...
Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 PM

Am I the only one who was happy with 4 speed automatics?

All the added gear shifting the tranny does gets rather annoying to me.... especially when it seems like it shifts too fast and doesn't hold a gear long enough....
Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
Am I the only one who was happy with 4 speed automatics?
Yes.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Yes.

LOL

Seriously, I dont see what was so terrible about them. I guess you can pick up a bit of a MPG bump, but I really perfer less shifting.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my SRX is the 5 speed auto's tendancy to shift too fast, especially when pulling out from a stop sign and turning on to a road, the damn thing will shift from 1st to 2nd before I even complete the turn, then it feels bogged down when trying to speed up for traffic unless I really push the pedel down.

I say it might be just this transmission, or even just my car, but I've had the same experience in other 5 and 6 speed auto's Ive driven.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

LOL

Seriously, I dont see what was so terrible about them. I guess you can pick up a bit of a MPG bump, but I really perfer less shifting.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my SRX is the 5 speed auto's tendancy to shift too fast, especially when pulling out from a stop sign and turning on to a road, the damn thing will shift from 1st to 2nd before I even complete the turn, then it feels bogged down when trying to speed up for traffic unless I really push the pedel down.

I say it might be just this transmission, or even just my car, but I've had the same experience in other 5 and 6 speed auto's Ive driven.
I always though my 4 speed autos needed to shift sooner or like they needed another gear. The Equinox 5 speed feels pretty good though. I also had no complaints about the 6 speed Acadia I rented for 2 weeks this past summer. other than that my only other experience with 6 speeds is manuals. We have a Focus with a 5 speed manual and I really wish it had a 6th gear when I'm up around 70mph+.

With that said, I'm happy with 6 speeds, I don't see much of a need for more, at least in your average car.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 PM

LOL

Yeah if you let up the least little bit on the throttle these new auto's will throw you up to the highest possible gear with no immediate response just lugging along. It's like back in the 80's with turbo cars you have to wait for them to spool then go then they unspool and repeat. My old GM 700R4 was pretty good and my Dodge/Mercedes 5speed auto is pretty good as well but it will pick between 2 different 2nd gear choices depending on input. The wife's Kia tranny is crap it will put you in 3rd gear at 10mph when you pull out if you don't give it enough gas thus leaving you waiting for power to get going with people rapidly approaching you. At least the Cobalt 5 speed manual generally does what I want except for twitchy throttle inputs at low speed take off.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Most of the 4 speeds had engines with tourque low in the band. All these new engines are rev happy and would be a slug with a 4 speed.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by soul strife
Most of the 4 speeds had engines with tourque low in the band. All these new engines are rev happy and would be a slug with a 4 speed.
Heck V6 engines today are more powerful than the old V8's from the 80's and most now are getting VVT of some sort to help that out, 700R4 had a good first gear for getting off the line(my 88 camaro had maybe 170hp weaksauce but it felt good for 2 seconds off the line then fell on it's face out of breath, the 200R4 I belive had a 2 something first gear where I believe the 700R4 had a 3 something first gear. It's been a while but I could be mistaken.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM

Heck V6 engines today are more powerful than the old V8's from the 80's and most now are getting VVT of some sort to help that out, 700R4 had a good first gear for getting off the line(my 88 camaro had maybe 170hp weaksauce but it felt good for 2 seconds off the line then fell on it's face out of breath, the 200R4 I belive had a 2 something first gear where I believe the 700R4 had a 3 something first gear. It's been a while but I could be mistaken.
Now imagine having a high revving high hp V6 with a 4 speed and still wanting good gas mileage. The 6 speeds make more sense, keeping the engines in there power band while maintaining relatively good MPG with a heavier vehicles.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:18 PM

About as usefull on the street as a 800hp GT500.
Thats a matter of opinion!

Hell even a pre 2011 500hp GT500 with those gawdawful gen1 GY F1 Supercar tires and stock rear suspension isn't all that useful. Dunno about the current car, but I suppose its only marginally better.

Anyways, I suppose it doesn't even matter in the long run with the advent of SMG and DSG transmissions and the eventual demise of the completely manual box. Need a 52 speed trans that shifts in nano-seconds so your .5 liter 500hp buzz bomb can make you look like the hero staring back in the mirror it'll be here soon enough.

Last edited by bossco; 09-17-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 PM

This is clearly progress people.

All in all we will have to see how it performs. I'm sure it will shift smoothly and if the cabin is quiet hardly anyone will notice it.

As far as 4 speeds are concerned, if there was a reasonably economical way to put a decent 6 speed auto in my Formula, I would do it.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 09-17-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: If 8 speed autos are good then...