Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Idea for performace Chevy Cobalt cars.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:11 PM

Idea for performace Chevy Cobalt cars.

How does this sound

Cobalt SS - turbo 2.0L ecotech 210HP $20,000
Cobalt Z24 - 3.4L OHV V6 190HP $18,000

I doubt GM would make 2 performace Cobalts, but it's a cool idea. If these 2 cars ever were built chances are one would be a Pontiac and the other a Chevy
Old 09-29-2003, 08:17 PM

Hmm...I like the s/c eco-tec but to keep CAFE up and engenring costs down---the V6 will probably not be in a compact car again.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:38 PM

Price the SS at $18k and I think you have a winner.

Last edited by jg95z28; 09-29-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:40 PM

Also, I believe the 3.4 will be gone very soon, replace by the 3.5. What about an N/A I-5 with over 200 horses? I think it might fit.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:29 AM

Interesting article I read last night from the motortrend site. I thought it might apply to this discussion....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0308_hi_chevy/

Misconceptions aside, there are some significant differences between Cavalier and Civic (a pre-eminate affordable semi-prestige car for younger buyers on a budget). This comparison showed that the Chevy braked better, accelerated better, and matchted the civic in the skid pad. The Civic on the other hand boasted better interior refinement, better gas milage, $400 advantage in base price, imense aftermarket support, and an overall better reputation for durability.

Given this it's not hard to see why the Cavalier is falling behind in it's reputation....thus sales. Cobalt must address these to succeed. How does a performance car fit into this? Well, it could highlight an emphasis on performance, get the attention of the aftermarket, and raies the overall reputation of the car. It must be done with the budget buyer in mind. Improved interior is a must on all models.

It could work, but I'd say try to keep it below 20k.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
Interesting article I read last night from the motortrend site. I thought it might apply to this discussion....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0308_hi_chevy/

Misconceptions aside, there are some significant differences between Cavalier and Civic (a pre-eminate affordable semi-prestige car for younger buyers on a budget). This comparison showed that the Chevy braked better, accelerated better, and matchted the civic in the skid pad. The Civic on the other hand boasted better interior refinement, better gas milage, $400 advantage in base price, imense aftermarket support, and an overall better reputation for durability.

Given this it's not hard to see why the Cavalier is falling behind in it's reputation....thus sales. Cobalt must address these to succeed. How does a performance car fit into this? Well, it could highlight an emphasis on performance, get the attention of the aftermarket, and raies the overall reputation of the car. It must be done with the budget buyer in mind. Improved interior is a must on all models.

It could work, but I'd say try to keep it below 20k.
Again the Civic is cheap in terms of MSRP...however add the $4500 rebate and its a new ball game....
Old 09-30-2003, 10:28 AM

Rememer? this is supposed to be a small sport compact, not a mid-sized sedan. A 6 would be a no-no.

Why go for a 6 on such a small car when a turbo 4 will give you just as much power/tq with potential for more? Between those two, i'd opt for the Turbo ecotec. I think it'd have tons more potential.

What ever happened to the S/c idea btw? It wasn't dropped was it? I'd like to see a turbo in its place.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by formula79
Again the Civic is cheap in terms of MSRP...however add the $4500 rebate and its a new ball game....
Very true! Cobalt most likely won't have crutch like that though. All the more reason to spice up the line I think. Encouraging aftermarket support is a "must" I think...or even follow Mopar's lead in their support of the SRT-4, maybe with parts for the entire line and not just the performance model.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:03 PM

I wouldn't want anything deemed SS to be second place. If they make a turboed Cobalt SS, it better out preform the SRT-4.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by CamaroRSguy
I wouldn't want anything deemed SS to be second place. If they make a turboed Cobalt SS, it better out preform the SRT-4.
Heck in terms of performance we've already got a second place SS truck and a not-even 2nd place mid-sized SS sedan (Impala) and coupe (Monte). Hopefully by the time Cobalt comes out Chevy will offer more across the whole SS line. That's what I expect anyway.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by RiceEating5.0
Why go for a 6 on such a small car when a turbo 4 will give you just as much power/tq with potential for more? Between those two, i'd opt for the Turbo ecotec. I think it'd have tons more potential.
If that is the case then why build a V6 at all, have the GM line up go I4, turbo I4, V8.

The Golf has a V6 so does the Tiburon. a V6 Delta car would add something different to the mix. GM needs a Car for every niche, the one size fits all theory doesn't work in todays market.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:49 PM

That's where the I-5 could come into play(still some question about packaging problems). I have been kinda pushing for this recently but I would love to see this. Put a little turbo on it with minimal boost and there would be great power and would take care of those pesky SRT-4's. You could sell them for a little more than an SRT-4 at about 23k and have them still be appealing as long as they don't creep into V8 Camaro territory.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:48 PM

You have to be careful with a potential 13 second car costing 23k. That is where the camaro usually gets its market from. I guess we'll have to see how well the C6 performes to get an idea where the Camaro will be allowed to perform.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:49 PM

I am willing to bet the new Camaro V8 will be in the 12's, no less, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:57 PM

Why not give the cobalt ss awd?

I think that it would be a good idea because it would differtiate it from the focus svt, civic si, sentra ser and others.

It's going to need more than 210hp to compete with the neon srt-4.

I think that we need to wait until we see what the next focus svt will have.

Quick Reply: Idea for performace Chevy Cobalt cars.